Odil Qurbon - TAB Application - 2020-09-01

Name
Odil Qurbon (@Odil)

Organization
UDA Consulting

What contributions (e.g., issue triage, tech support, documentation, bug fixes) have you made to the ODK community?
So far only beta testing and some solutions for the ODK Community user's problems via ODK Forum.

How do you believe your contributions have benefited ODK?
I believe that helped individuals be more confident on using ODK applications

What do you believe the top priorities for ODK are?
Keep ODK suite of tools simple to use, easy to maintain and popular among users.

How will you help the ODK community accomplish those priorities?
By participating in technical discussions; possibly by contributing on current development and code reviewing.

How many hours a week can you commit to participating on the TSC?
1-2

What other mobile data collection projects, social good projects, or open source projects are you involved with?
I'm working on UDACAPI - Dashboard and monitoring system which uses ODK Central API to visualize survey data
I'm also the developer of the UNODC Global Drugs Monitoring Platform

Please share any links to public resources (e.g., resume, blog, Github) that help support your application.

3 Likes

Hi @Odil :wave:
Is there anything right now that you think needs to be fixed to help "keep ODK suite of tools simple to use, easy to maintain and popular among users"?

2 Likes

Hello @danbjoseph,
Thanks for the question.

For me simple to use is clear documentation. ODK suite of tools have a really great documentation! I really appreciate it. Huge work was already done.
The next step is maybe a quick start with tutorial or simple steps?
What is needed for this: ODK Collect and ODK Central (or Aggregate).
What do we have:

• There is already ODK Central sandbox,
  • Installation of ODK Collect from playstore is also straightforward.
  • We miss ready for use sample XLSForm templates for new comers to be able quickly use and see the process and results.

Concerning the maintaining:
I think adding a new feature should be balanced between how many users are going to use it and is there are a risk to make the application more complex to further maintain.
Keeping each tool mutually complementary rather than interdependent is also imo important.

To keep it popular: maybe there is a need for a Library of XLSForm templates? There are a lot of excellent examples in the forum on how to design a questionnaire to solve different issues. It would be great to collect them into a library with categorized sections.

5 Likes

Hi @Odil, this would be great for beginners and experimented users to not start from scratch and to benefit of other's users tips and tricks, in the same thematic or not. A discussion started about that few month ago :
https://forum.getodk.org/t/a-place-where-to-share-forms

@LN mentionned The showcase index

2 Likes

What about ready to 'copy and paste' structure of the XLSForm. When templates of this library have the same order of columns that help users to construct XLSForm by just copy and paste parts from different templates.
In all my XLSForms I use the same columns and this makes extremely easy to reuse parts of my other forms when I need them.

2 Likes

@seadowg shared its useful template earlier this year, "with the basics in place" :

A more complete template could be very useful too, even if all columns are not used, in order to easilly paste/copy blocks between shared forms

1 Like

Hi Odil,

do you believe that an opensource Dashboard (easy to use), should/could be available to the community?

could your contribution go in that direction?

1 Like

This is not an easy question. No the question is easy the answer is not :slight_smile: Dashboard kind of applications are developed to a specific set of data. For example I might have a very specific requirements to this dashboard, and another user maybe needs other unique functions. It's very difficult to satisfy wide community of user, while I think effective opensource application should suite many users.

My first and main background related to research and analysis and then I have a good experience in development of data monitoring platforms. I'll be happy if I can help.

1 Like

Hi @Odil,

Thanks for the detailed application.

If you had the time and the willingness to contribute to the current development. Which tool in the ODK suite would you go for? and why?

Also, If you were to advise on how to increase the suite popularity, what would be your response.

2 Likes

Hello, @dicksonsamwel,
Thank you for the question.

ODK Central. Because I have some experience with vue.js (version 2) and Central is also developed with vue.

Maybe first to try find out why some people who know about ODK are not using it properly? For instance: ODK Central has a good documentation on how to install it and use. At the same time I know that there are users who are still using the google sheets as a data server. Sometimes providing surveys in this forum for community members also can help to understand gaps.

2 Likes

Hi @Odil!

Thanks for your responses so far! Something I don't think anyone else has covered: why do you want to be on the TAB?

Secondly, what skills and perspectives do you bring that would benefit the TAB? In other words, what makes you a good fit for the role?

Thanks!

Thanks @tomsmyth for this question.

I was always open to share my knowledge if that helped people. I'd be happy if I can be a help with my experience in the area of software planning, development, and improvement.