of the ODK app for the phone's screen to return to normal. The second
survey, Time Use, works perfectly fine and is a much larger survey
containing several media files. [Note for Mitch and Yaw: this is related to
the earlier thread on the random crash problem: it seems to not be
recurring, or at least no one is telling about it. The last iteration
simply had lower-res mp3 files]

I tried deleting and re-downloading the Schoolchildren survey, but ran
into the same issue of it causing the screen to turn black. I also tried
deleting the ODK app and re-downloading it, but that did not work either.
The only way I have been able to fix this issue is to factory reset the
phone and then reinstall ODK and re-download the survey."

She noted to me on the phone that we are not seeing the problem on all
phones, but that once the problem occurs once on a phone it will re-occur
every single time you open that survey on that phone. I know a log file
would be great, but she doesn't know how to do this and I was hoping there
might be a relatively simple solution.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I should note that we are having a
number of problems with these sh***y Alcatel phones unrelated to ODK so
it's possibly hardware, though the error message we are seeing there
("AirTel UI has stopped") is NOT popping up when we see the black screen.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

p.s. XLSForm attached.

SchoolToday_Aug21.xlsx (14.4 KB)

Hi Joe,

works. There are cases when your simple form becomes heavy. That is when
you enter a big number of children so that the app will have to create that
big number of repeats.

Hope this sheds some light.

Trung.

··· From my experience, the app goes black when the device processes heavy

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 7:23:06 AM UTC+7, jhc...@uw.edu wrote:

All,

My colleague in the field is getting an odd behavior with a very simple
survey deployed on an Alcatel OneTouch phone in rural Kenya. Here is her
description:

"After I opened the ODK Collect app on the phone, I clicked on "Fill
Blank Form." Then, I clicked on the Schoolchildren survey. ODK appeared to
be loading the survey as it usually does, but then the entire phone screen
went black. I tried clicking on the phone's back button to get back to the
"Fill Blank Form" screen, but the screen remained black. I had to close out
containing several media files. [Note for Mitch and Yaw: this is related to

I tried deleting and re-downloading the Schoolchildren survey, but ran
into the same issue of it causing the screen to turn black. I also tried
deleting the ODK app and re-downloading it, but that did not work either.
The only way I have been able to fix this issue is to factory reset the

phones, but that once the problem occurs once on a phone it will re-occur
every single time you open that survey on that phone. I know a log file
would be great, but she doesn't know how to do this and I was hoping there

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I should note that we are having a
number of problems with these sh***y Alcatel phones unrelated to ODK so
it's possibly hardware, though the error message we are seeing there
("AirTel UI has stopped") is NOT popping up when we see the black screen.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

p.s. XLSForm attached.

Hi Joe,

You mentioned that it once it happens, it'll happen every single time
after. What happens if you delete the /sdcard/odk/.cache folder? Does
the problem go away?

Yaw

··· On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Trung wrote: > Hi Joe, > > From my experience, the app goes black when the device processes heavy > works. There are cases when your simple form becomes heavy. That is when you > enter a big number of children so that the app will have to create that big > number of repeats. > > Hope this sheds some light. > > Trung. > > > On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 7:23:06 AM UTC+7, jhc...@uw.edu wrote: >> >> All, >> >> My colleague in the field is getting an odd behavior with a very simple >> survey deployed on an Alcatel OneTouch phone in rural Kenya. Here is her >> description: >> >> "After I opened the ODK Collect app on the phone, I clicked on "Fill >> Blank Form." Then, I clicked on the Schoolchildren survey. ODK appeared to >> be loading the survey as it usually does, but then the entire phone screen >> went black. I tried clicking on the phone's back button to get back to the >> "Fill Blank Form" screen, but the screen remained black. I had to close out >> of the ODK app for the phone's screen to return to normal. The second >> survey, Time Use, works perfectly fine and is a much larger survey >> containing several media files. [Note for Mitch and Yaw: this is related to >> the earlier thread on the random crash problem: it seems to not be >> recurring, or at least no one is telling about it. The last iteration >> simply had lower-res mp3 files] >> >> I tried deleting and re-downloading the Schoolchildren survey, but ran >> into the same issue of it causing the screen to turn black. I also tried >> deleting the ODK app and re-downloading it, but that did not work either. >> The only way I have been able to fix this issue is to factory reset the >> phone and then reinstall ODK and re-download the survey." >> >> She noted to me on the phone that we are not seeing the problem on all >> phones, but that once the problem occurs once on a phone it will re-occur >> every single time you open that survey on that phone. I know a log file >> would be great, but she doesn't know how to do this and I was hoping there >> might be a relatively simple solution. >> >> Has anyone else seen this behavior? I should note that we are having a >> number of problems with these sh***y Alcatel phones unrelated to ODK so it's >> possibly hardware, though the error message we are seeing there ("AirTel UI >> has stopped") is NOT popping up when we see the black screen. >> >> Thanks in advance, >> Joe >> >> p.s. XLSForm attached. > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Yaw,

She can't locate a directory with that name on the phone. Under ODK
there are just directories for "instances" and "forms", neither of which
have a "cache" folder within them.

Thanks for your help with this and thanks to Trung for weighing in as
well. We are testing to see if a certain number of children in the loop
triggers it.

Best,
Joe

··· On 9/25/16 11:52 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > Hi Joe, > > You mentioned that it once it happens, it'll happen every single time > after. What happens if you delete the /sdcard/odk/.cache folder? Does > the problem go away? > > Yaw > > On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Trung wrote: >> Hi Joe, >> >> From my experience, the app goes black when the device processes heavy >> works. There are cases when your simple form becomes heavy. That is when you >> enter a big number of children so that the app will have to create that big >> number of repeats. >> >> Hope this sheds some light. >> >> Trung. >> >> >> On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 7:23:06 AM UTC+7, jhc...@uw.edu wrote: >>> All, >>> >>> My colleague in the field is getting an odd behavior with a very simple >>> survey deployed on an Alcatel OneTouch phone in rural Kenya. Here is her >>> description: >>> >>> "After I opened the ODK Collect app on the phone, I clicked on "Fill >>> Blank Form." Then, I clicked on the Schoolchildren survey. ODK appeared to >>> be loading the survey as it usually does, but then the entire phone screen >>> went black. I tried clicking on the phone's back button to get back to the >>> "Fill Blank Form" screen, but the screen remained black. I had to close out >>> of the ODK app for the phone's screen to return to normal. The second >>> survey, Time Use, works perfectly fine and is a much larger survey >>> containing several media files. [Note for Mitch and Yaw: this is related to >>> the earlier thread on the random crash problem: it seems to not be >>> recurring, or at least no one is telling about it. The last iteration >>> simply had lower-res mp3 files] >>> >>> I tried deleting and re-downloading the Schoolchildren survey, but ran >>> into the same issue of it causing the screen to turn black. I also tried >>> deleting the ODK app and re-downloading it, but that did not work either. >>> The only way I have been able to fix this issue is to factory reset the >>> phone and then reinstall ODK and re-download the survey." >>> >>> She noted to me on the phone that we are not seeing the problem on all >>> phones, but that once the problem occurs once on a phone it will re-occur >>> every single time you open that survey on that phone. I know a log file >>> would be great, but she doesn't know how to do this and I was hoping there >>> might be a relatively simple solution. >>> >>> Has anyone else seen this behavior? I should note that we are having a >>> number of problems with these sh***y Alcatel phones unrelated to ODK so it's >>> possibly hardware, though the error message we are seeing there ("AirTel UI >>> has stopped") is NOT popping up when we see the black screen. >>> >>> Thanks in advance, >>> Joe >>> >>> p.s. XLSForm attached. >> -- >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Joe,

That directory is hidden. It's .cache (notice the dot before the
name), not cache.

Yaw

··· On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Joe Cook wrote: > Yaw, > > She can't locate a directory with that name on the phone. Under ODK there > are just directories for "instances" and "forms", neither of which have a > "cache" folder within them. > > Thanks for your help with this and thanks to Trung for weighing in as well. > We are testing to see if a certain number of children in the loop triggers > it. > > Best, > Joe > > > On 9/25/16 11:52 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >> >> Hi Joe, >> >> You mentioned that it once it happens, it'll happen every single time >> after. What happens if you delete the /sdcard/odk/.cache folder? Does >> the problem go away? >> >> Yaw >> >> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Trung wrote: >>> >>> Hi Joe, >>> >>> From my experience, the app goes black when the device processes heavy >>> works. There are cases when your simple form becomes heavy. That is when >>> you >>> enter a big number of children so that the app will have to create that >>> big >>> number of repeats. >>> >>> Hope this sheds some light. >>> >>> Trung. >>> >>> >>> On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 7:23:06 AM UTC+7, jhc...@uw.edu wrote: >>>> >>>> All, >>>> >>>> My colleague in the field is getting an odd behavior with a very >>>> simple >>>> survey deployed on an Alcatel OneTouch phone in rural Kenya. Here is her >>>> description: >>>> >>>> "After I opened the ODK Collect app on the phone, I clicked on "Fill >>>> Blank Form." Then, I clicked on the Schoolchildren survey. ODK appeared >>>> to >>>> be loading the survey as it usually does, but then the entire phone >>>> screen >>>> went black. I tried clicking on the phone's back button to get back to >>>> the >>>> "Fill Blank Form" screen, but the screen remained black. I had to close >>>> out >>>> of the ODK app for the phone's screen to return to normal. The second >>>> survey, Time Use, works perfectly fine and is a much larger survey >>>> containing several media files. [Note for Mitch and Yaw: this is related >>>> to >>>> the earlier thread on the random crash problem: it seems to not be >>>> recurring, or at least no one is telling about it. The last iteration >>>> simply had lower-res mp3 files] >>>> >>>> I tried deleting and re-downloading the Schoolchildren survey, but ran >>>> into the same issue of it causing the screen to turn black. I also tried >>>> deleting the ODK app and re-downloading it, but that did not work >>>> either. >>>> The only way I have been able to fix this issue is to factory reset the >>>> phone and then reinstall ODK and re-download the survey." >>>> >>>> She noted to me on the phone that we are not seeing the problem on all >>>> phones, but that once the problem occurs once on a phone it will >>>> re-occur >>>> every single time you open that survey on that phone. I know a log file >>>> would be great, but she doesn't know how to do this and I was hoping >>>> there >>>> might be a relatively simple solution. >>>> >>>> Has anyone else seen this behavior? I should note that we are having a >>>> number of problems with these sh***y Alcatel phones unrelated to ODK so >>>> it's >>>> possibly hardware, though the error message we are seeing there >>>> ("AirTel UI >>>> has stopped") is NOT popping up when we see the black screen. >>>> >>>> Thanks in advance, >>>> Joe >>>> >>>> p.s. XLSForm attached. >>> >>> -- >>> -- >>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >>> --- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >>> "ODK Community" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >>> email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

If the file manager that came with the device is not showing the .cache
folder, download and use the "OI File Manager" app -- it shows everything.

··· On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote:

Joe,

That directory is hidden. It's .cache (notice the dot before the
name), not cache.

Yaw

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Joe Cook jhcook@uw.edu wrote:

Yaw,

She can't locate a directory with that name on the phone. Under ODK there
are just directories for "instances" and "forms", neither of which have a
"cache" folder within them.

Thanks for your help with this and thanks to Trung for weighing in as
well.
We are testing to see if a certain number of children in the loop
triggers
it.

Best,
Joe

On 9/25/16 11:52 AM, Yaw Anokwa wrote:

Hi Joe,

You mentioned that it once it happens, it'll happen every single time
after. What happens if you delete the /sdcard/odk/.cache folder? Does
the problem go away?

Yaw

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Trung trungdangle@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Joe,

From my experience, the app goes black when the device processes heavy
works. There are cases when your simple form becomes heavy. That is
when
you
enter a big number of children so that the app will have to create that
big
number of repeats.

Hope this sheds some light.

Trung.

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 7:23:06 AM UTC+7, jhc...@uw.edu wrote:

All,

My colleague in the field is getting an odd behavior with a very
simple
survey deployed on an Alcatel OneTouch phone in rural Kenya. Here is
her
description:

"After I opened the ODK Collect app on the phone, I clicked on "Fill
Blank Form." Then, I clicked on the Schoolchildren survey. ODK
appeared
to
be loading the survey as it usually does, but then the entire phone
screen
went black. I tried clicking on the phone's back button to get back to
the
"Fill Blank Form" screen, but the screen remained black. I had to
close
out
containing several media files. [Note for Mitch and Yaw: this is
related
to

I tried deleting and re-downloading the Schoolchildren survey, but
ran
into the same issue of it causing the screen to turn black. I also
tried
deleting the ODK app and re-downloading it, but that did not work
either.
The only way I have been able to fix this issue is to factory reset
the

phones, but that once the problem occurs once on a phone it will
re-occur
every single time you open that survey on that phone. I know a log
file
would be great, but she doesn't know how to do this and I was hoping
there

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I should note that we are having
a
number of problems with these sh***y Alcatel phones unrelated to ODK
so
it's
possibly hardware, though the error message we are seeing there
("AirTel UI
has stopped") is NOT popping up when we see the black screen.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

p.s. XLSForm attached.

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com