Cannot install ODK Aggregate on Digital Ocean

Dear All,

Previously I installed ODK Aggregate on Digital Ocean without any issue. Today I failed to complete the installation. I am using the domain http://ipconnect.ml/ and I getting the bellow message:
It works !
If you're seeing this page via a web browser, it means you've setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!

This is the default Tomcat home page. It can be found on the local filesystem at: /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/ROOT/index.html

Tomcat8 veterans might be pleased to learn that this system instance of Tomcat is installed with CATALINA_HOME in /usr/share/tomcat8 and CATALINA_BASE in /var/lib/tomcat8, following the rules from /usr/share/doc/tomcat8-common/RUNNING.txt.gz.

You might consider installing the following packages, if you haven't already done so:

tomcat8-docs: This package installs a web application that allows to browse the Tomcat 8 documentation locally. Once installed, you can access it by clicking here.

tomcat8-examples: This package installs a web application that allows to access the Tomcat 8 Servlet and JSP examples. Once installed, you can access it by clicking here.

tomcat8-admin: This package installs two web applications that can help managing this Tomcat instance. Once installed, you can access the manager webapp and the host-manager webapp.

NOTE: For security reasons, using the manager webapp is restricted to users with role "manager-gui". The host-manager webapp is restricted to users with role "admin-gui". Users are defined in /etc/tomcat8/tomcat-users.xml.

Support will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Imran

Hi @A.N.M_AL-IMRAN,

I find it hard to understand where your problem is exaclty.

Did you follow the steps from the documentation while installing?

Also did you use the provided config script?

Thanks.

Dear @dicksonsamwel,

Yes, I followed the documentation and the config script. Previously I installed many of my Aggregate servers without any issue following the same steps. This is the first time I am experiencing this issue.

Thanks,
Imran

Assuming you can SSH into the server, do you have a aggregate-config.json file? Mine looks like this.

{
  "home": "/root",
  "jdbc": {
    "host": "127.0.0.1",
    "port": 5432,
    "db": "aggregate",
    "schema": "aggregate",
    "user": "aggregate",
    "password": "aggregate"
  },
  "security": {
    "hostname": "sandbox.aggregate.getodk.org",
    "forceHttpsLinks": true,
    "port": 80,
    "securePort": 443,
    "checkHostnames": false
  },
  "tomcat": {
    "uid": "tomcat8",
    "gid": "tomcat8",
    "webappsPath": "/var/lib/tomcat8/webapps"
  }
}

If you do, you can try to force a new install with aggregate-cli -i -f -c aggregate-config.json.

1 Like

Dear Yaw,

I found aggregate-config.json and tried to force install. However, failed to install. Please see the scripts below:

root@ipconnect:~# cat aggregate-config.json
    {
      "home": "/root",
      "jdbc": {
        "host": "127.0.0.1",
        "port": 5432,
        "db": "aggregate",
        "schema": "aggregate",
        "user": "aggregate",
        "password": "aggregate"
      },
      "security": {
        "hostname": "ipconnect.ml",
        "forceHttpsLinks": true,
        "port": 80,
        "securePort": 443,
        "checkHostnames": false
      },
      "tomcat": {
        "uid": "tomcat8",
        "gid": "tomcat8",
        "webappsPath": "/var/lib/tomcat8/webapps"
      }
    }
    root@ipconnect:~# aggregate-cli -i -f -c aggregate-config.json
    aggregate-cli: command not found

I tried to install several times yesterday by creating new droplets and facing the same issue.

Please let me know, what would you suggest as the next step.

Thank you,
Imran

I successfully did an install a few days ago, so something weird is happening. Can you share your aggregate-cli.log?

Dear Yaw,

cat: /root/aggregate-cli.log: No such file or directory

This is what I found.

Thank you,
Imran

The root problem is that the cloud-config script depends on the github.com/opendatakit/aggregate URL which no longer exists, but has been redirected to github.com/getodk/aggregate.

Web browsers follow this redirect automatically, but the curl command we use in the installer doesn't. The good news is that we'll be able to fix this remotely. I've sent in a PR at https://github.com/getodk/aggregate/pull/487 and I expect it will be merged in an hour or so.

Until the fix ships, others who have this problem can work around it by:

1. Editing /usr/local/bin/download-aggregate-cli to replace curl -sS with curl -sSL.
  2. Running aggregate-cli -i -y -c /root/aggregate-config.json to run the installer.
3 Likes