Certificate Error?

Folks, I have a custom aggregator running on a secure server with a
valid certificate. I can load the site with a browser on my laptop or
in the Android browser no problem, no warnings. The cert works. When I
try to get new forms, I get a "no peer certificate while accessing
[URL]" warning.

Has anyone encountered this? What does it mean?

Thanks.

I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code against GAE.

Is it a self-signed cert, or one issued by Verisign?

This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root certificate in
the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when using
the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not present.

Are you using 1.1.5, 1.1.6 or 1.1.7?

Mitch

··· On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote:

[URL]" warning.

Thanks.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer

University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

It's 1.1.7. The certificate is fine for sure since it's accepted
without warning in all browsers. Maybe the phone has a cache or
something. We recently changed certificates so maybe that's doing it.
I'll look into it.

··· On 20 July 2011 13:12, Mitch Sundt wrote: > I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code against GAE. > > Is it a self-signed cert, or one issued by Verisign? > > This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root certificate in > the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when using > the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not present. > > Are you using 1.1.5, 1.1.6 or 1.1.7? > > Mitch > > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> >> Folks, I have a custom aggregator running on a secure server with a >> valid certificate. I can load the site with a browser on my laptop or >> in the Android browser no problem, no warnings. The cert works. When I >> try to get new forms, I get a "no peer certificate while accessing >> [URL]" warning. >> >> Has anyone encountered this? What does it mean? >> >> Thanks. > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > http://www.OpenDataKit.org > University of Washington > mitchellsundt@gmail.com >

Verisign was transitioning their root certificates, aging out the older ones
2010Q4. Not sure if this would impact you; I don't know how the phone gets
the new root certificates entered into its certificate store.

Gleaned from the root certificate descriptions here:

Mitch

··· On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote:

I'll look into it.

On 20 July 2011 13:12, Mitch Sundt msundt@cs.washington.edu wrote:

I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code against
GAE.

This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root certificate
in
the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when using
the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not
present.

Mitch

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth thomas.smyth@gatech.edu wrote:

[URL]" warning.

Thanks.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
http://www.OpenDataKit.org
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

I should point out that our certificate is not from Verisign, it's
from Geotrust. Will this make a difference? Does ODK only support
Verisign certificates? That would be odd...

··· On 20 July 2011 14:31, Mitch Sundt wrote: > Verisign was transitioning their root certificates, aging out the older ones > 2010Q4. Not sure if this would impact you; I don't know how the phone gets > the new root certificates entered into its certificate store. > > Gleaned from the root certificate descriptions here: > > http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html > > Mitch > > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> >> It's 1.1.7. The certificate is fine for sure since it's accepted >> without warning in all browsers. Maybe the phone has a cache or >> something. We recently changed certificates so maybe that's doing it. >> I'll look into it. >> >> On 20 July 2011 13:12, Mitch Sundt wrote: >> > I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code against >> > GAE. >> > >> > Is it a self-signed cert, or one issued by Verisign? >> > >> > This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root certificate >> > in >> > the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when >> > using >> > the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not >> > present. >> > >> > Are you using 1.1.5, 1.1.6 or 1.1.7? >> > >> > Mitch >> > >> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> >> >> >> Folks, I have a custom aggregator running on a secure server with a >> >> valid certificate. I can load the site with a browser on my laptop or >> >> in the Android browser no problem, no warnings. The cert works. When I >> >> try to get new forms, I get a "no peer certificate while accessing >> >> [URL]" warning. >> >> >> >> Has anyone encountered this? What does it mean? >> >> >> >> Thanks. >> > >> > >> > >> > -- >> > Mitch Sundt >> > Software Engineer >> > http://www.OpenDataKit.org >> > University of Washington >> > mitchellsundt@gmail.com >> > > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > http://www.OpenDataKit.org > University of Washington > mitchellsundt@gmail.com >

More info on this...

I tried it on a phone running Android 1.5 and instead of "no peer
certificate" I get "not trusted certificate". This would stand to
reason since I learned that Android did not support Geocerts before
2.2. I tested the site in the built-in browser and I DID get a
certificate warning.

However none of this explains why on Android 2.3.4 I get the "no peer
certificate" error even though the page loads with no warnings in the
browser. I have tried reinstalling ODK and everything.

In any case this is probably moot since I will need this to work on
Android 1.5/1.6 so I may end up getting a different certificate.

··· On 20 July 2011 17:04, Thomas Smyth wrote: > I should point out that our certificate is not from Verisign, it's > from Geotrust. Will this make a difference? Does ODK only support > Verisign certificates? That would be odd... > > On 20 July 2011 14:31, Mitch Sundt wrote: >> Verisign was transitioning their root certificates, aging out the older ones >> 2010Q4. Not sure if this would impact you; I don't know how the phone gets >> the new root certificates entered into its certificate store. >> >> Gleaned from the root certificate descriptions here: >> >> http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html >> >> Mitch >> >> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>> >>> It's 1.1.7. The certificate is fine for sure since it's accepted >>> without warning in all browsers. Maybe the phone has a cache or >>> something. We recently changed certificates so maybe that's doing it. >>> I'll look into it. >>> >>> On 20 July 2011 13:12, Mitch Sundt wrote: >>> > I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code against >>> > GAE. >>> > >>> > Is it a self-signed cert, or one issued by Verisign? >>> > >>> > This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root certificate >>> > in >>> > the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when >>> > using >>> > the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not >>> > present. >>> > >>> > Are you using 1.1.5, 1.1.6 or 1.1.7? >>> > >>> > Mitch >>> > >>> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>> >> >>> >> Folks, I have a custom aggregator running on a secure server with a >>> >> valid certificate. I can load the site with a browser on my laptop or >>> >> in the Android browser no problem, no warnings. The cert works. When I >>> >> try to get new forms, I get a "no peer certificate while accessing >>> >> [URL]" warning. >>> >> >>> >> Has anyone encountered this? What does it mean? >>> >> >>> >> Thanks. >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > -- >>> > Mitch Sundt >>> > Software Engineer >>> > http://www.OpenDataKit.org >>> > University of Washington >>> > mitchellsundt@gmail.com >>> > >> >> >> >> -- >> Mitch Sundt >> Software Engineer >> http://www.OpenDataKit.org >> University of Washington >> mitchellsundt@gmail.com >> >

Speaking of which, do folks have recommendations for which certificate
provider to go with? Verisign certs are horrendously expensive!
Geocerts was only about $250 for 2 years.

What about GeoTrust? Does anyone have any experience with them? They
seem much more reasonable.

··· On 20 July 2011 17:25, Thomas Smyth wrote: > More info on this... > > I tried it on a phone running Android 1.5 and instead of "no peer > certificate" I get "not trusted certificate". This would stand to > reason since I learned that Android did not support Geocerts before > 2.2. I tested the site in the built-in browser and I DID get a > certificate warning. > > However none of this explains why on Android 2.3.4 I get the "no peer > certificate" error even though the page loads with no warnings in the > browser. I have tried reinstalling ODK and everything. > > In any case this is probably moot since I will need this to work on > Android 1.5/1.6 so I may end up getting a different certificate. > > On 20 July 2011 17:04, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> I should point out that our certificate is not from Verisign, it's >> from Geotrust. Will this make a difference? Does ODK only support >> Verisign certificates? That would be odd... >> >> On 20 July 2011 14:31, Mitch Sundt wrote: >>> Verisign was transitioning their root certificates, aging out the older ones >>> 2010Q4. Not sure if this would impact you; I don't know how the phone gets >>> the new root certificates entered into its certificate store. >>> >>> Gleaned from the root certificate descriptions here: >>> >>> http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html >>> >>> Mitch >>> >>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>>> >>>> It's 1.1.7. The certificate is fine for sure since it's accepted >>>> without warning in all browsers. Maybe the phone has a cache or >>>> something. We recently changed certificates so maybe that's doing it. >>>> I'll look into it. >>>> >>>> On 20 July 2011 13:12, Mitch Sundt wrote: >>>> > I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code against >>>> > GAE. >>>> > >>>> > Is it a self-signed cert, or one issued by Verisign? >>>> > >>>> > This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root certificate >>>> > in >>>> > the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when >>>> > using >>>> > the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not >>>> > present. >>>> > >>>> > Are you using 1.1.5, 1.1.6 or 1.1.7? >>>> > >>>> > Mitch >>>> > >>>> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>>> >> >>>> >> Folks, I have a custom aggregator running on a secure server with a >>>> >> valid certificate. I can load the site with a browser on my laptop or >>>> >> in the Android browser no problem, no warnings. The cert works. When I >>>> >> try to get new forms, I get a "no peer certificate while accessing >>>> >> [URL]" warning. >>>> >> >>>> >> Has anyone encountered this? What does it mean? >>>> >> >>>> >> Thanks. >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > -- >>>> > Mitch Sundt >>>> > Software Engineer >>>> > http://www.OpenDataKit.org >>>> > University of Washington >>>> > mitchellsundt@gmail.com >>>> > >>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> Mitch Sundt >>> Software Engineer >>> http://www.OpenDataKit.org >>> University of Washington >>> mitchellsundt@gmail.com >>> >> >

This all argues that it is a lack of a root certificate that is causing the
problem.

If you can figure out what certificate store Android natively uses (and ODK
Collect relies upon), and if you can figure out how to add new root
certificates to it, you should be able to use your server's existing SSL
certificate once you add the appropriate Geocerts root certificate to the
store.

...and if you knew how to add root certificates, you could always add your
own self-signed certificate, then you'd be able to create your own server
certificates at zero cost (other than the manpower needed to update the root
certificates on all the phones).

Mitch

··· On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Thomas Smyth wrote:

Speaking of which, do folks have recommendations for which certificate
provider to go with? Verisign certs are horrendously expensive!
Geocerts was only about $250 for 2 years.

What about GeoTrust? Does anyone have any experience with them? They
seem much more reasonable.

On 20 July 2011 17:25, Thomas Smyth thomas.smyth@gatech.edu wrote:

More info on this...

I tried it on a phone running Android 1.5 and instead of "no peer
certificate" I get "not trusted certificate". This would stand to
reason since I learned that Android did not support Geocerts before
2.2. I tested the site in the built-in browser and I DID get a
certificate warning.

However none of this explains why on Android 2.3.4 I get the "no peer
certificate" error even though the page loads with no warnings in the
browser. I have tried reinstalling ODK and everything.

In any case this is probably moot since I will need this to work on
Android 1.5/1.6 so I may end up getting a different certificate.

On 20 July 2011 17:04, Thomas Smyth thomas.smyth@gatech.edu wrote:

I should point out that our certificate is not from Verisign, it's
from Geotrust. Will this make a difference? Does ODK only support
Verisign certificates? That would be odd...

On 20 July 2011 14:31, Mitch Sundt msundt@cs.washington.edu wrote:

Verisign was transitioning their root certificates, aging out the older
ones
2010Q4. Not sure if this would impact you; I don't know how the phone
gets
the new root certificates entered into its certificate store.

Gleaned from the root certificate descriptions here:

http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html

Mitch

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Smyth < thomas.smyth@gatech.edu> wrote:

I'll look into it.

On 20 July 2011 13:12, Mitch Sundt msundt@cs.washington.edu wrote:

I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code
against
GAE.

This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root
certificate
in
the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when
using
the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not
present.

Mitch

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth < thomas.smyth@gatech.edu> wrote:

valid certificate. I can load the site with a browser on my laptop
or
in the Android browser no problem, no warnings. The cert works.
When I
[URL]" warning.

Thanks.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Interesting. Thanks.

··· On 20 July 2011 19:27, Mitch Sundt wrote: > This all argues that it is a lack of a root certificate that is causing the > problem. > > If you can figure out what certificate store Android natively uses (and ODK > Collect relies upon), and if you can figure out how to add new root > certificates to it, you should be able to use your server's existing SSL > certificate once you add the appropriate Geocerts root certificate to the > store. > > ...and if you knew how to add root certificates, you could always add your > own self-signed certificate, then you'd be able to create your own server > certificates at zero cost (other than the manpower needed to update the root > certificates on all the phones). > > Mitch > > > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> >> Speaking of which, do folks have recommendations for which certificate >> provider to go with? Verisign certs are horrendously expensive! >> Geocerts was only about $250 for 2 years. >> >> What about GeoTrust? Does anyone have any experience with them? They >> seem much more reasonable. >> >> On 20 July 2011 17:25, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> > More info on this... >> > >> > I tried it on a phone running Android 1.5 and instead of "no peer >> > certificate" I get "not trusted certificate". This would stand to >> > reason since I learned that Android did not support Geocerts before >> > 2.2. I tested the site in the built-in browser and I DID get a >> > certificate warning. >> > >> > However none of this explains why on Android 2.3.4 I get the "no peer >> > certificate" error even though the page loads with no warnings in the >> > browser. I have tried reinstalling ODK and everything. >> > >> > In any case this is probably moot since I will need this to work on >> > Android 1.5/1.6 so I may end up getting a different certificate. >> > >> > On 20 July 2011 17:04, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> >> I should point out that our certificate is not from Verisign, it's >> >> from Geotrust. Will this make a difference? Does ODK only support >> >> Verisign certificates? That would be odd... >> >> >> >> On 20 July 2011 14:31, Mitch Sundt wrote: >> >>> Verisign was transitioning their root certificates, aging out the >> >>> older ones >> >>> 2010Q4. Not sure if this would impact you; I don't know how the phone >> >>> gets >> >>> the new root certificates entered into its certificate store. >> >>> >> >>> Gleaned from the root certificate descriptions here: >> >>> >> >>> http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html >> >>> >> >>> Mitch >> >>> >> >>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> >>>> >> >>>> It's 1.1.7. The certificate is fine for sure since it's accepted >> >>>> without warning in all browsers. Maybe the phone has a cache or >> >>>> something. We recently changed certificates so maybe that's doing it. >> >>>> I'll look into it. >> >>>> >> >>>> On 20 July 2011 13:12, Mitch Sundt wrote: >> >>>> > I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code >> >>>> > against >> >>>> > GAE. >> >>>> > >> >>>> > Is it a self-signed cert, or one issued by Verisign? >> >>>> > >> >>>> > This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root >> >>>> > certificate >> >>>> > in >> >>>> > the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when >> >>>> > using >> >>>> > the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not >> >>>> > present. >> >>>> > >> >>>> > Are you using 1.1.5, 1.1.6 or 1.1.7? >> >>>> > >> >>>> > Mitch >> >>>> > >> >>>> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >> >>>> >> >> >>>> >> Folks, I have a custom aggregator running on a secure server with >> >>>> >> a >> >>>> >> valid certificate. I can load the site with a browser on my laptop >> >>>> >> or >> >>>> >> in the Android browser no problem, no warnings. The cert works. >> >>>> >> When I >> >>>> >> try to get new forms, I get a "no peer certificate while accessing >> >>>> >> [URL]" warning. >> >>>> >> >> >>>> >> Has anyone encountered this? What does it mean? >> >>>> >> >> >>>> >> Thanks. >> >>>> > >> >>>> > >> >>>> > >> >>>> > -- >> >>>> > Mitch Sundt >> >>>> > Software Engineer >> >>>> > http://www.OpenDataKit.org >> >>>> > University of Washington >> >>>> > mitchellsundt@gmail.com >> >>>> > >> >>> >> >>> >> >>> >> >>> -- >> >>> Mitch Sundt >> >>> Software Engineer >> >>> http://www.OpenDataKit.org >> >>> University of Washington >> >>> mitchellsundt@gmail.com >> >>> >> >> >> > > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > http://www.OpenDataKit.org > University of Washington > mitchellsundt@gmail.com >

you can figure out the available root certs at

you can add them using
http://wiki.cacert.org/FAQ/ImportRootCert?action=show&redirect=ImportRootCert#Android_Phones

we've found android 1.5 to be pretty buggy. if you can upgrade to 1.6
(or use cyanogenmod), i think you'll be a lot happier.

··· On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 06:19, Thomas Smyth wrote: > Interesting. Thanks. > > On 20 July 2011 19:27, Mitch Sundt wrote: >> This all argues that it is a lack of a root certificate that is causing the >> problem. >> >> If you can figure out what certificate store Android natively uses (and ODK >> Collect relies upon), and if you can figure out how to add new root >> certificates to it, you should be able to use your server's existing SSL >> certificate once you add the appropriate Geocerts root certificate to the >> store. >> >> ...and if you knew how to add root certificates, you could always add your >> own self-signed certificate, then you'd be able to create your own server >> certificates at zero cost (other than the manpower needed to update the root >> certificates on all the phones). >> >> Mitch >> >> >> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>> >>> Speaking of which, do folks have recommendations for which certificate >>> provider to go with? Verisign certs are horrendously expensive! >>> Geocerts was only about $250 for 2 years. >>> >>> What about GeoTrust? Does anyone have any experience with them? They >>> seem much more reasonable. >>> >>> On 20 July 2011 17:25, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>> > More info on this... >>> > >>> > I tried it on a phone running Android 1.5 and instead of "no peer >>> > certificate" I get "not trusted certificate". This would stand to >>> > reason since I learned that Android did not support Geocerts before >>> > 2.2. I tested the site in the built-in browser and I DID get a >>> > certificate warning. >>> > >>> > However none of this explains why on Android 2.3.4 I get the "no peer >>> > certificate" error even though the page loads with no warnings in the >>> > browser. I have tried reinstalling ODK and everything. >>> > >>> > In any case this is probably moot since I will need this to work on >>> > Android 1.5/1.6 so I may end up getting a different certificate. >>> > >>> > On 20 July 2011 17:04, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>> >> I should point out that our certificate is not from Verisign, it's >>> >> from Geotrust. Will this make a difference? Does ODK only support >>> >> Verisign certificates? That would be odd... >>> >> >>> >> On 20 July 2011 14:31, Mitch Sundt wrote: >>> >>> Verisign was transitioning their root certificates, aging out the >>> >>> older ones >>> >>> 2010Q4. Not sure if this would impact you; I don't know how the phone >>> >>> gets >>> >>> the new root certificates entered into its certificate store. >>> >>> >>> >>> Gleaned from the root certificate descriptions here: >>> >>> >>> >>> http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html >>> >>> >>> >>> Mitch >>> >>> >>> >>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>> >>>> >>> >>>> It's 1.1.7. The certificate is fine for sure since it's accepted >>> >>>> without warning in all browsers. Maybe the phone has a cache or >>> >>>> something. We recently changed certificates so maybe that's doing it. >>> >>>> I'll look into it. >>> >>>> >>> >>>> On 20 July 2011 13:12, Mitch Sundt wrote: >>> >>>> > I didn't see anything like this when developing the 1.1.6 code >>> >>>> > against >>> >>>> > GAE. >>> >>>> > >>> >>>> > Is it a self-signed cert, or one issued by Verisign? >>> >>>> > >>> >>>> > This may be an error indicating that you're missing the root >>> >>>> > certificate >>> >>>> > in >>> >>>> > the certificate store. Did you have to accept the certificate when >>> >>>> > using >>> >>>> > the browser? That would indicate that the root certificate is not >>> >>>> > present. >>> >>>> > >>> >>>> > Are you using 1.1.5, 1.1.6 or 1.1.7? >>> >>>> > >>> >>>> > Mitch >>> >>>> > >>> >>>> > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Thomas Smyth wrote: >>> >>>> >> >>> >>>> >> Folks, I have a custom aggregator running on a secure server with >>> >>>> >> a >>> >>>> >> valid certificate. I can load the site with a browser on my laptop >>> >>>> >> or >>> >>>> >> in the Android browser no problem, no warnings. The cert works. >>> >>>> >> When I >>> >>>> >> try to get new forms, I get a "no peer certificate while accessing >>> >>>> >> [URL]" warning. >>> >>>> >> >>> >>>> >> Has anyone encountered this? What does it mean? >>> >>>> >> >>> >>>> >> Thanks. >>> >>>> > >>> >>>> > >>> >>>> > >>> >>>> > -- >>> >>>> > Mitch Sundt >>> >>>> > Software Engineer >>> >>>> > http://www.OpenDataKit.org >>> >>>> > University of Washington >>> >>>> > mitchellsundt@gmail.com >>> >>>> > >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> >>> Mitch Sundt >>> >>> Software Engineer >>> >>> http://www.OpenDataKit.org >>> >>> University of Washington >>> >>> mitchellsundt@gmail.com >>> >>> >>> >> >>> > >> >> >> >> -- >> Mitch Sundt >> Software Engineer >> http://www.OpenDataKit.org >> University of Washington >> mitchellsundt@gmail.com >> >