Change Email Server for an existing ODK central Installation without losing data

1. What is the issue? Please be detailed.
I have used the default email server in ODK central but Gmail blocks emails for users. I have gone ahead and followed the instructions to set up a mail server using sendgrid, followed the steps to rebuild the application and completed successfully. However, this process seems to have deleted all my old setup and data and I ended up with a new installation.

2. What steps can we take to reproduce this issue?
As above.
3. What have you tried to fix the issue?
Just had to restore my old server. so issue of email still pending. How do I introduce the email settings without losign my data! Thanks

4. Upload any forms or screenshots you can share publicly below.

Did you maybe run the down command with docker compose? In older versions of Central, that led to what you describe. You can read more https://docs.getodk.org/central-troubleshooting/#database-reset-after-running-docker-command

I'm glad you were able to back up and restore the server.

If what I described above sounds like what happened, you should be able to run the same instructions to configure email while being careful not to run the down command.

Note that after Central v2023.2, down can be used safely and this is one of the reasons we recommend upgrading when you get a chance.

1 Like

Thanks. I managed to run an update and retained my data. Thanks

1 Like