Clean uninstall of ODK Collect?

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
I'm not able to uninstall ODK Collect cleanly. All the settings are retained, and the list inside "sent forms" are retained.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
ODK Collect v1.29

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I have tried clearing data before uninstalling, and also deleting the folder manually using a file explorer. I also tried to remove all the data using the feature inside the admin settings tab. No matter what I do, the settings come back.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Change the default settings, fill a form, send it, and try to uninstall.

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.
I know that there is a protection built into the app to prevent against accidental data loss, but what's the procedure to completely clean the install?

You can wipe local settings through Settings - Admin settings - reset application - tick all boxes - OK your way out.

This should get rid of all Collect settings prior to an uninstall.

If you want to delete all Collect settings after an uninstall, you can go to Android settings - apps - find Collect - delete all stored data. (this might vary between Android flavours)
If you currently have a device with a freshly uninstalled Collect at hand, could you test this and report back the working steps?

Would you reckon we should add a friendly section in the docs on this?

1 Like

I'm guessing that you have Android backups turned on and that the changes you're making to Collect to clear data out are not yet picked up by the backup when you uninstall. That means that on the next install Android restores from backup.

That backup behavior is different on different Android versions and device providers. If you can't figure out how to either stop backing Collect up or clear the backup before uninstalling, you can share your Android version and device information and perhaps someone can help.

1 Like