Collect GPS area - Force automatic mode

Hi!

I have a question of the type geoshape in my form. I would like to know if there is a way to force the automatic mode when collecting data with the ODK Collect app? I would like my enumerators to only be able to collect GPS points with “Automatic Mode” and if possible only allow certain accuracy levels and time intervals to show as options.

Is this possible in any way?

Thank you!

Hi @luis-rodx
When you get a chance, please introduce yourself here. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

It's not possible to force using the automatic mode or set the parameters you mentioned if you are using the Geotrace/GeoShape widgets but you can use Audit logging with Location tracking and then the location is collected automatically in the background and you can set parameters like:

• location-priority
  • location-min-interval
  • location-max-age

Hi @Grzesiek2010 ,

Thank you for the answer!

Picture added :slight_smile:

I see. Unfortunately, tracking the location in the background does not help me. I would like to ensure that the area is collected by the enumerators walking in the field. If they don't do it, tracking their location is also not helpful in getting the right coordinates.

I guess I could try to compare the location retrieved automatically in the background with what they've collected in the GeoShape question, but that does not seem easy to do.

Are there any plans to develop this or a similar feature? Can I propose this development? This parameter seems useful and it's not very different from what has been implemented for other question types. For example, for the 'image' question type, we can specify under 'appearance' the value 'new' and we force the user to have to take a new picture and not use one from the gallery.

I would be glad to hear back from you.

Thank you.

EDIT: For clarity

@luis-rodx I believe this thread discusses what you have in mind: Geo: Setting an accuracy threshold and collection interval in the form definition It's certainly something I've wanted to add for some time and hopefully we can get to it sooner rather than later.

Hi @LN , thanks for redirecting me to that thread. It is indeed the same request!

1 Like