Crash - Unfortunately ODK Collect has stopped

Dear ODK'ers:

I am getting the dreaded crash message "Unfortunately, ODK Collect" has stopped and I don't see an existing thread that helps.

I'm attaching my xlsform and a log of the crash I got from Android Studio when the phone was connected to my laptop (first time doing this, hope it is what folks need).

I do not believe the crash is a simple error in the form and it is not replicable at any specific place in the survey. Instead it seems to happen at various places when playing embedded audio files.

A quick note on our application: we are doing an Experience Sampling Method where rural Kenyan respondents hold the phones and complete four short surveys per day when the phone buzzes. Because of low literacy rates, every question in the survey has an mp3 of someone reading the question in the local language. There are also a fair number of images.

The phones are Alcatel OneTouch Sleeks, bought from AirTel in Kenya, running Android Kitkat 4.1.

The crash rarely (if ever as far as we can tell) happens when the user just clicks through answering questions. If the audio files are only quickly clicked and not allowed to play through, it doesn't seem to happen. It happens most frequently (but not always) when one clicks on every single audio file and allows to play.

I included in the text file a log of what I see when I click an audio button to play a file but ODK does NOT crash. I included a second where the phone seems to be displaying about the buffer. And then after that are two separate crash incidents.

Any help would be most appreciated. We found these issues with 25 phones in the field, and another 225 are on the way in the next two days, so solving any problem before we send them out (and avoiding updating the form where service is weaker). In the interim, I'm going to try to decoding the mp3s at a lower rate; they are currently saved at 160 bits and the average file size is around 100KB with the longer ones up to 450KB. Grand total of all media is 8.6 MB).

One last thing that may or may not be relevant. I need to randomize the order in which the categories are shown to respondents. I learned from an earlier post that this isn't possible in ODK at the moment,so I did a workaround by creating 18 random orders for each of the 18 choices, and use a random number generator to choose which the respondent will see. This makes the form a bit complicated to read, but I don't think this is the issue since, again, it rarely (if ever) crashes when only clicking through and answering.

Also posting to ODK Users - sorry I'm not sure which is the right one.

Thanks,
Joe
University of Washington

ESM_Aug20.xlsx (55.3 KB)

odk debug.txt (16.2 KB)

Hi Joe,

The developer list is for folks who are changing ODK's code. The
community list is for everything else.

Yaw

ยทยทยท -- Need ODK consultants? Nafundi provides form design, server setup, in-field training, and software development for ODK. Go to https://nafundi.com to get started.

On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM, jhillsey@gmail.com wrote:

Dear ODK'ers:

I am getting the dreaded crash message "Unfortunately, ODK Collect" has stopped and I don't see an existing thread that helps.

I'm attaching my xlsform and a log of the crash I got from Android Studio when the phone was connected to my laptop (first time doing this, hope it is what folks need).

I do not believe the crash is a simple error in the form and it is not replicable at any specific place in the survey. Instead it seems to happen at various places when playing embedded audio files.

A quick note on our application: we are doing an Experience Sampling Method where rural Kenyan respondents hold the phones and complete four short surveys per day when the phone buzzes. Because of low literacy rates, every question in the survey has an mp3 of someone reading the question in the local language. There are also a fair number of images.

The phones are Alcatel OneTouch Sleeks, bought from AirTel in Kenya, running Android Kitkat 4.1.

The crash rarely (if ever as far as we can tell) happens when the user just clicks through answering questions. If the audio files are only quickly clicked and not allowed to play through, it doesn't seem to happen. It happens most frequently (but not always) when one clicks on every single audio file and allows to play.

I included in the text file a log of what I see when I click an audio button to play a file but ODK does NOT crash. I included a second where the phone seems to be displaying about the buffer. And then after that are two separate crash incidents.

Any help would be most appreciated. We found these issues with 25 phones in the field, and another 225 are on the way in the next two days, so solving any problem before we send them out (and avoiding updating the form where service is weaker). In the interim, I'm going to try to decoding the mp3s at a lower rate; they are currently saved at 160 bits and the average file size is around 100KB with the longer ones up to 450KB. Grand total of all media is 8.6 MB).

One last thing that may or may not be relevant. I need to randomize the order in which the categories are shown to respondents. I learned from an earlier post that this isn't possible in ODK at the moment,so I did a workaround by creating 18 random orders for each of the 18 choices, and use a random number generator to choose which the respondent will see. This makes the form a bit complicated to read, but I don't think this is the issue since, again, it rarely (if ever) crashes when only clicking through and answering.

Also posting to ODK Users - sorry I'm not sure which is the right one.

Thanks,
Joe
University of Washington

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.