CSV Data set from ODK Briefcase 1.2

Hi All;
I am pulling data from ODK aggregate using ODK Briefcase 1.2 and generating
a CSV file. But once i open the data in CSV, the string values in form of
numbers truncates the first zeros. How can i work on this because the data
on the aggregate server has the zeros

··· -- *Thanks* *Ken Mwai * 0724211786 www.keniajin.com *****"Technology is a lyfstyle live it"*

Two ways to go.

1. make the data elements in the form "strings" rather than "numbers"
    so that they are not converted to integers - thereby losing their
    leading zeros.

or

1. if you are opening the CSV in excel or similar spreadsheet you can
    set cell formatting to have a fixed number of digits - thereby putting
    the leading zeros back in.

G

··· On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Ken Mwai wrote: > > Hi All; > I am pulling data from ODK aggregate using ODK Briefcase 1.2 and generating > a CSV file. But once i open the data in CSV, the string values in form of > numbers truncates the first zeros. How can i work on this because the data > on the aggregate server has the zeros > -- > Thanks > Ken Mwai > 0724211786 > www.keniajin.com > "Technology is a lyfstyle live it" > > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Hi Gaetano;
Thanks for the assistance
The data elements are in form of string in the form but i tried the
second way of opening but it doesnt put the leading zeros back
Regards

··· On Oct 2, 5:07 pm, Gaetano Borriello wrote: > Two ways to go. > > 1. make the data elements in the form "strings" rather than "numbers" > so that they are not converted to integers - thereby losing their > leading zeros. > > or > > 2. if you are opening the CSV in excel or similar spreadsheet you can > set cell formatting to have a fixed number of digits - thereby putting > the leading zeros back in. > > G > > > > > > > > On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Ken Mwai wrote: > > > Hi All; > > I am pulling data from ODK aggregate using ODK Briefcase 1.2 and generating > > a CSV file. But once i open the data in CSV, the string values in form of > > numbers truncates the first zeros. How can i work on this because the data > > on the aggregate server has the zeros > > -- > > Thanks > > Ken Mwai > > 0724211786 > >www.keniajin.com > > "Technology is a lyfstyle live it" > > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Hi Gaetano;
Thanks a big way the second way one worked for me (set cell formatting
to have a fixed number of digits).

··· On Oct 3, 9:15 am, Keniajin wrote: > Hi Gaetano; > Thanks for the assistance > The data elements are in form of string in the form but i tried the > second way of opening but it doesnt put the leading zeros back > Regards > > On Oct 2, 5:07 pm, Gaetano Borriello wrote: > > > > > > > > > Two ways to go. > > > 1. make the data elements in the form "strings" rather than "numbers" > > so that they are not converted to integers - thereby losing their > > leading zeros. > > > or > > > 2. if you are opening the CSV in excel or similar spreadsheet you can > > set cell formatting to have a fixed number of digits - thereby putting > > the leading zeros back in. > > > G > > > On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Ken Mwai wrote: > > > > Hi All; > > > I am pulling data from ODK aggregate using ODK Briefcase 1.2 and generating > > > a CSV file. But once i open the data in CSV, the string values in form of > > > numbers truncates the first zeros. How can i work on this because the data > > > on the aggregate server has the zeros > > > -- > > > Thanks > > > Ken Mwai > > > 0724211786 > > >www.keniajin.com > > > "Technology is a lyfstyle live it" > > > > -- > > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en