Database Table Names

Hello ODKers,

Can we some how control the case of the letters in the table names created when we upload the XML into the server. For example database used is postgres , when i upload the xml to the server a table is created automatically in the database. The Table names created are in Caps , I want these names to be in small case. Can we do anything in the forms ?.

Thanks and Regards,
SGSC

1 Like

I've tried both postgresql and mysql. All of which creates things in all caps. LIKE_ALL_CAPS_LIKE_THIS.

I don't know if this is just the default but I think it the answer to your question is NO. We can't do anything in the forms level.

1 Like

Hello @Abel_Melquiades_Call,
Yes this is right

But i have some where read in the google group about this but i don't remember the topic name . But i think we can . There was some discussion on how database table names will be effected when we right camel case letters in the form . But I was not sure .

Thanks and Regards,

Hello @SGSC , @Abel_Melquiades_Call.

Im start the integration with postgres, i have some doubt, i hope you can guide me, since I observe you have it implemented.

My problems are the next:
1- Generated Tables with meta or system information, is it posible skip or delete that ?.

2- The columns of the surveys (in tables) are messy, do not have the same order of the xml.

3-The table of the survey have columns that i do not created.

Greetings, I appreciate your comments.

@SGSC para ello en el xml puedes manipular el nombre del form id

Mira aquí ya el ejemplo en ejecución

Pero esto es correcto cuando hacemos uno nuevo si ya hay uno existente, lo que podrías hacer fácil y rápido es cargar el nuevo formulario ya corregido y luego insertar toda la data que tienen en las tablas del formulario antiguo pero tus recolectores de información tendrán que usar el nuevo formulario ya que no tendrá el mismo form id

Hello @famador,

Here are my quick responses to your questions.

Question #1

Generated Tables with meta or system information, is it possible skip or delete that?

Nope, I don't think you can skip that in any way without altering the source-code of ODK Aggregate. I also do not know the consequences on deleting that table. I suggest you leave it as it is. ODK Aggregate may have other uses for it in its internal operations.

However, if you are really are curious on that part, feel free to delete that table and tell this community the results on deleting it. Again, I do not suggest that.

Question #2

The columns of the surveys (in tables) are messy, do not have the same order of the xml.

Yeap, that's how ODK Aggregate does it. The only solution to that is to contribute modifications to the source-code.

Question #3

The table of the survey have columns that i do not created.

The more you will work further with ODK tools you will learn to appreciate those meta columns. Believe me they are important as you go by. Especially the _URI column because it uniquely identifies one data entry :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @Abel_Melquiades_Call, the information you shared is very valuable for me, i will follow your advice of the meta columns .