Decryption and exporting Problem

Dears,

I have problem with the form I created on KoBoCollect. I encrypted but
after that I am having to pulling it using ODK Briefcase 1.4. I try to
submit only one entry and pull it with ODK and export it. It works very
well. But after submitting more forms exporting is not working. It only
gives me this error.

Starting Export...

Processing instance: uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000

Error decrypting submission uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000 Cause:
org.opendatakit.briefcase.model.FileSystemException: Error
decrypting:submission.xml.enc Cause: java.io.IOException:
javax.crypto.BadPaddingException: pad block corrupted

FAILED!

I thought the error is on the private key and public key combination but I
try that on many forms by generating different keys. If the problem is not
from the key I am wondering what cause this error.

Your support is much appreciated.

Best,

Biniam

There is a known issue with Android 4.3 (and presumably onward) that causes
problems with ODK Collect 1.2.* and 1.3.x.

You should contact KoBoCollect support to confirm that they are based off
of the newer ODK Collect 1.4.x software.

e.g., see the Briefcase release notes:
https://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/wiki/ODKBriefcase

··· On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Biniam Berhanu wrote:

Dears,

I have problem with the form I created on KoBoCollect. I encrypted but
after that I am having to pulling it using ODK Briefcase 1.4. I try to
submit only one entry and pull it with ODK and export it. It works very
well. But after submitting more forms exporting is not working. It only
gives me this error.

Starting Export...

Processing instance: uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000

Error decrypting submission uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000
Cause: org.opendatakit.briefcase.model.FileSystemException: Error
decrypting:submission.xml.enc Cause: java.io.IOException:
javax.crypto.BadPaddingException: pad block corrupted

FAILED!

I thought the error is on the private key and public key combination but I
try that on many forms by generating different keys. If the problem is not
from the key I am wondering what cause this error.

Your support is much appreciated.

Best,

Biniam

--

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Hi Mitch,
KoBoCollect is based off ODK Collect 1.4.3 (1039). Was this an issue that
was fixed in a subsequent release?

Thanks,
Tino

··· On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 10:39 PM Mitch Sundt wrote:

There is a known issue with Android 4.3 (and presumably onward) that
causes problems with ODK Collect 1.2.* and 1.3.x.

You should contact KoBoCollect support to confirm that they are based off
of the newer ODK Collect 1.4.x software.

e.g., see the Briefcase release notes:
https://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/wiki/ODKBriefcase

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Biniam Berhanu byaanet@gmail.com wrote:

Dears,

I have problem with the form I created on KoBoCollect. I encrypted but
after that I am having to pulling it using ODK Briefcase 1.4. I try to
submit only one entry and pull it with ODK and export it. It works very
well. But after submitting more forms exporting is not working. It only
gives me this error.

Starting Export...

Processing instance: uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000

Error decrypting submission uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000
Cause: org.opendatakit.briefcase.model.FileSystemException: Error
decrypting:submission.xml.enc Cause: java.io.IOException:
javax.crypto.BadPaddingException: pad block corrupted

FAILED!

I thought the error is on the private key and public key combination but
I try that on many forms by generating different keys. If the problem is
not from the key I am wondering what cause this error.

Your support is much appreciated.

Best,

Biniam

--

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

--

Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Any update on this issue???

··· On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 11:08:36 PM UTC+3, Tino Kreutzer wrote: > > Hi Mitch, > KoBoCollect is based off ODK Collect 1.4.3 (1039). Was this an issue that > was fixed in a subsequent release? > > Thanks, > Tino > > On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 10:39 PM Mitch Sundt <mitche...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> There is a known issue with Android 4.3 (and presumably onward) that >> causes problems with ODK Collect 1.2.* and 1.3.x. >> >> You should contact KoBoCollect support to confirm that they are based off >> of the newer ODK Collect 1.4.x software. >> >> e.g., see the Briefcase release notes: >> https://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/wiki/ODKBriefcase >> >> >> >> >> >> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Biniam Berhanu <bya...@gmail.com > wrote: >> >>> Dears, >>> >>> I have problem with the form I created on KoBoCollect. I encrypted but >>> after that I am having to pulling it using ODK Briefcase 1.4. I try to >>> submit only one entry and pull it with ODK and export it. It works very >>> well. But after submitting more forms exporting is not working. It only >>> gives me this error. >>> >>> >>> >>> Starting Export... >>> >>> Processing instance: uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000 >>> >>> Error decrypting submission uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000 >>> Cause: org.opendatakit.briefcase.model.FileSystemException: Error >>> decrypting:submission.xml.enc Cause: java.io.IOException: >>> javax.crypto.BadPaddingException: pad block corrupted >>> >>> FAILED! >>> >>> >>> >>> I thought the error is on the private key and public key combination but >>> I try that on many forms by generating different keys. If the problem is >>> not from the key I am wondering what cause this error. >>> >>> Your support is much appreciated. >>> >>> Best, >>> >>> Biniam >>> >>> -- >>> -- >>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >>> --- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>> >> >> >> >> -- >> Mitch Sundt >> Software Engineer >> University of Washington >> mitche...@gmail.com >> >> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> >

My recommendation is to:

(0) make a full copy of your ODK Briefcase Storage location (this is the
"ODK Briefcase Storage" directory, typically under your user home directory.

(1) use a text editor (e.g., Notepad++) to open the submission's xml file
that Briefcase is complaining about to confirm that it is encrypted. On
some devices that lack the needed encryption libraries, when you mark a
form as finalized, it will store it in plaintext rather than encrypt it.
You can find this instance under the ODK Briefcase Storage Location, under
"ODK Briefcase Storage\forms*formName*\instances
uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-

c61944c1c000
\submission.xml"

If this submission was encrypted, it will generally have an encrypted="yes"
attribute and a tag:
<data id="yourFormId" *encrypted="yes" *...

If it was not encrypted, then there are two possibilities:

(a) this submission might not have been finalized on the device, but might
be an incomplete submission. In that case, tighten up your procedures to
ensure that all submissions on the device are saved-as-complete (finalized)
before you pull them into ODK Briefcase.

(b) if it is finalized, then there is an issue with your device and why it
was determined to not support encryption. We are unlikely to be able to fix
that issue because we almost certainly will not have that specific device
and OS version, but please provide device and Android OS version info.

Otherwise, if it is encrypted,

(2) download the very latest version of ODK Briefcase.

(3) Ensure that you have JCE installed on your computer. See
https://opendatakit.org/help/encrypted-forms/

(4) Confirm that this newest ODK Briefcase still gives the same error.

(5) Move the problematic instance directory out of your ODK Briefcase
Storage location (e.g., up to your Desktop, or if you made a copy of the
storage directory, you can just delete that instance directory).

(5) Re-run ODK Briefcase, does it find a problem with the next submission
for this form?

(if you only had one submission, please create a 2nd to confirm that it,
too, has a problem).

If both submissions have the same error, this generally rules out strange
failures that might occur if writing to the sdcard were interrupted during
the saving of a single submission.

If it is not just this one submission, then,

(6) verify that you are using the very latest version of KoBo Collect. If
not, download and try the latest. Remove all the older submissions from the
ODK Briefcase Storage location, and try to export this new submission to
CSV. Does it work with the newest version?

If not,

(7) download ODK Collect 1.4.5 and use the form on that (not for your
deployment, but just for this testing). Does it work on that, with the
latest ODK Briefcase (1.4.5)?

If so, then there is an issue with the KoBo Collect build.

If not,

Then it is unlikely we will have a rapid fix for this.

I will need you to generate a new public-private key (so you can give me
the private key), construct a new (trivial) form using that new
public-private key, and have you create an example failure using that new
form and public-private key pair. If you are able to successfully
reproduce the failure, then I would need you to copy the ODK Briefcase
Storage directory, delete all forms except for this new form, zip up this
slimmed-down copy, and send me that zip and the private encryption key
directly to me ( mitchellsundt@gmail.com ). I will also want to know your
Android OS version, and the device that you are using.

··· On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Biniam Berhanu wrote:

Any update on this issue???

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 11:08:36 PM UTC+3, Tino Kreutzer wrote:

Hi Mitch,
KoBoCollect is based off ODK Collect 1.4.3 (1039). Was this an issue that
was fixed in a subsequent release?

Thanks,
Tino

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 10:39 PM Mitch Sundt mitche...@gmail.com wrote:

There is a known issue with Android 4.3 (and presumably onward) that
causes problems with ODK Collect 1.2.* and 1.3.x.

You should contact KoBoCollect support to confirm that they are based
off of the newer ODK Collect 1.4.x software.

e.g., see the Briefcase release notes: https://code.google.com/p/
opendatakit/wiki/ODKBriefcase

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Biniam Berhanu bya...@gmail.com wrote:

Dears,

I have problem with the form I created on KoBoCollect. I encrypted but
after that I am having to pulling it using ODK Briefcase 1.4. I try to
submit only one entry and pull it with ODK and export it. It works very
well. But after submitting more forms exporting is not working. It only
gives me this error.

Starting Export...

Processing instance: uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000

Error decrypting submission uuid495fcfc0-a8e3-45b1-af46-c61944c1c000
Cause: org.opendatakit.briefcase.model.FileSystemException: Error
decrypting:submission.xml.enc Cause: java.io.IOException: javax.crypto.BadPaddingException:
pad block corrupted

FAILED!

I thought the error is on the private key and public key combination
but I try that on many forms by generating different keys. If the problem
is not from the key I am wondering what cause this error.

Your support is much appreciated.

Best,

Biniam

--

Post: opend...@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitche...@gmail.com

--

Post: opend...@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
--
Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com