Display unwanted name for repeat group

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

When using repeat group with a predetermined number of groups, the repeat_count appears as the title of the group of questions. Is there a way to stop this from appearing?

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

ODK Collect v1.25.1
ODK Aggregate v1.7.1

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Gave the group its own name, but this is just added on: >1>Site Information
It is the '>1' I'd like to get rid of.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

Provide a number in repeat count column

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Hi @SHileman

I think this is a related topic Creating name tags for every repeat group interation

you can try to add an inner group to have an additional group tag but those numbers will by visible anyway. Why is that a problem for you>

It is only a problem in that the group number, in our survey, is not relevant to the content. I think it is distracting to the user and we are trying to make things as streamlined as possible.

It doesn't affect functionality at all, so is not absolutely necessary.

What I am trying to do is use the repeat group as a way to have information entered within the group come up as a separate dataset. For this reason, we only have a repeat count of 1, but it has no meaning to the user so looks sort of odd. The survey is used to enter information about a health clinic. The basic information about the clinic (name, public/private/NGO, address, geopoint) ideally goes into a database that can later be merged with other future surveys using the clinic name.

Thanks.

if repeat_count is always 1 why it must be a repeatable group not a regular one? Could you elaborate or even attach your form?

Because the repeat groups are sent to different sheets in the csv output, but not regular groups. Maybe I’m wrong about this, but that’s my understanding.

The organization I am working with is using a FormShare server and this is the instruction given. And ODK documentation seems to confirm it. Again, I could be totally wrong about this!

Ahhh ok I understand. So no, there is no way to hide that number. Would you like to have an option to hide just the number or the entire group name visible at the top of the screen is redundant?

That is true but you should typically be able to split things out after the fact for analysis. As @Grzesiek2010 states, this is a really unusual use of repeats and is not what they're intended for! In normal repeat usage, the count is important to keep track of which repeat instance users are on.

I'm not familiar with FormShare but that instruction makes me quite nervous.

Thanks for weighing in.

I agree that the best thing to do is write a script to make the separate database later. My client asked for the functionality of automatically pushing those variables to a different database, so I thought I'd give it a try.

About this FormShare quirk - it can't handle more than 64 select questions in one survey unless you use a repeat group to put them on a separate tab in the output, which means you'd still need to take an extra step to combine them into one database. I like the FormShare interface, but keep finding issues that make me nervous, too! I don't get it!!!! (And it's all beyond my control.)

1 Like