Error Code 1: (SQLITE_ERROR)

I am collecting data using the ODK collect that is being sent to an Ona server. The data is being collected offline, and then uploaded to the server when I am connected to the internet. Sometimes the forms refuse to save completely, other times I get this error message: Error Code 1: (SQLITE_ERROR).

Note, the XLS forms were originally developed in Kobo toolbox, and later uploaded into Ona. I'm not sure if there is some issue using them in ODK collect because of that.

Screenshot of the error is attached.

Hi @andrewjgall

it seems like an error I've seen in our (automated) reports but none of our users ever reported it so I'm really interested to find the cause. It would be great if you could help me answering some questions.

1. Which ODK Collect version do you use?
  2. Does the problem occurred after installing a newer ODK Collect version maybe? if so please tell me what was the old version and the new one.
  3. Is it a problem only with one or more forms?
  4. Did you notice the same issue on more than one device?
  5. Could you attach your form?
1 Like

BTW. welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself here!

Hi @Grzesiek2010. Thank you. Here are responses:

1. ODK Collect v1.22.4
  2. I have only used this version
  3. Problem is with two forms
  4. Happened on 3 different devices
  5. Uploaded
    RDS Questionnaire - TEST DRAFT 5_translations.xls (644 KB)
    Screening Form - TEST DRAFT 3 (Languages).xls (84.5 KB)

Ok thanks for you answers! I have a couple more questions:

1. You said

Sometimes the forms refuse to save completely, other times I get this error message: Error Code 1: (SQLITE_ERROR)

Does that mean it sometimes works fine? It's not like it's a fail every time?

1. On what device and android version are you able to reproduce the issue?
  2. You said that you only used Collect v1.22.4 but have you ever used any ODK Collect fork on those devices, I mean apps that are based on ODK Collect like SurveyCTO or KoBoCollect.
  3. Could you plug your device (that affected one) via usb copy and share with me a file named forms.db which should be on your sdcard in /odk/metadata/ dir?

Thanks. Here are the responses:

1. It has been inconsistent.

2. Galaxy Tab A SM-T350, Android version: 7.1.1

3. Prior to using ODK Collect, we were using KoboCollect. I should note that my theory for these errors is that the surveys were originally developed in Kobo Toolbox, and there were ID strings in the XLS forms that may have caused the error. I removed these ID strings from the forms and have not gotten the error message again. So I may have solved the issue, but am still interested in your expert opinion. Here are the updated forms:
    RDS Questionnaire - TEST DRAFT 6.xls (617.5 KB) Screening Form - TEST DRAFT 4.xls (88 KB)

4. I downloaded the db files, but cannot upload them here. I get this error message from: Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, xls, xlsx, xml, zip, csv, txt, pdf, doc, docx, ppt, pptx, json, mp4).

Do you remember what version it was?

Please do that via email gorczykowski@soldevelo.com

KoboCollect v1.14.0a

I will send the files by email

Just to clarify @Grzesiek2010 , I am no longer getting the error message or having trouble saving the forms. I think that the problem was fixed by my deletion of Kobo ID strings. But I'm happy to continue to provide more info, if it is helpful to you and the community.

Ok thanks, I received your email and there are three database files. They are from different devices right?

Yes, 3 different devices. I am working with a team of data collectors.

1. Did you saw the issue on all of them?
  2. One of my question was about the version and you said that it's 1.22.4. Are you sure it's the same version on all devices?

Apologies for the delay, I thought I already responded to this. The issue was on all 3 devices, and they were all using the same version. We have been collecting data for a couple of weeks, and have not had any issues anymore.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I'm going to spend some time and try to get to the bottom of the issue this month so I'll ask more questions if needed.

1 Like