Evaluating ODK

Hello, I work for a Goverment Institution in Costa Rica and we're evaluating ODK, but there have being some problems.

We're testing locally, download the aggregate VM and configure with a new lan IP address. We have access to the aggregate website, add a test form created in the build plataform. Next when we tryied to publish the form, since we are local avoid the google options and use "Z-ALPHA JSON Server", but when we try download the form using the ODK Collect app for android fro a phone the published form doesn't appear. I've configured the app to use the local ip address for the aggregate server and use the default user and a new user but no luck.

Is there something we're missing here?

Thanks

David

A clarification of terminology:

There are two "publishings":

(1) Publish a Form Definition -- i.e., make a form definition visible to
ODK Collect through its "Get Blank Form" screen (so that you can download
the form definition to your device and begin collecting data using it).

This is done by uploading the form definition to ODK Aggregate so that it
appears on the Form Management / Forms List sub-tab. You upload the form
definition (XML) file using the "Add New Form" button on that sub-tab.

Once a form definition is uploaded to ODK Aggregate, you can control
whether the form is visible in ODK Collect's "Get Blank Form" screen using
the "Downloadable" checkbox on the Form Management / Forms List sub-tab.
If you uncheck "Downloadable", then the form will not be visible to ODK
Collect on that "Get Blank Form" screen. This does not remove the form
from your device. There is no mechanism to revoke or remove forms from
devices.

(2) Publish your Collected Data to an external server -- i.e., to Fusion
Tables, Google Sheets, or one of the custom publishers like the "Z-ALPHA
JSON Server". The options for accessing your data are covered here:

··· ========================

As long as you have done (1), you should be able to configure ODK Collect
to point to your server and retrieve the form definition from it. To
configure ODK Collect to use your server, click on the menu
(3-vertical-box) icon at the top of ODK Collect's initial screen. Choose
General Settings, then under Server Settings, make sure that the "Platform"
is "ODK Aggregate" and choose "Configure platform settings". Enter your
local ODK Aggregate server's information.

If you have configured the server to not allow the anonymousUser to access
it, you will need to specify an ODK Aggregate username and password (the
e-mail address is not used when ODK Collect communicates with the server).
That username must be granted Data Collector permissions. Note that the
password for a username is initially unusable; you must explicitly change
it before you can use that username. And you must "Save Changes" on the
permissions screen before the changes take effect.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM, david.piedra@gmail.com wrote:

Hello, I work for a Goverment Institution in Costa Rica and we're
evaluating ODK, but there have being some problems.

We're testing locally, download the aggregate VM and configure with a new
lan IP address. We have access to the aggregate website, add a test form
created in the build plataform. Next when we tryied to publish the form,
since we are local avoid the google options and use "Z-ALPHA JSON Server",
but when we try download the form using the ODK Collect app for android fro
a phone the published form doesn't appear. I've configured the app to use
the local ip address for the aggregate server and use the default user and
a new user but no luck.

Is there something we're missing here?

Thanks

David

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thank you for your answer!! Don't know why the downloadable check was
unchecked, but the explanation was very helpful.

I now can fill the form in android.

Thanks.

··· El viernes, 26 de febrero de 2016, 13:49:52 (UTC-6), Mitch Sundt escribió: > > A clarification of terminology: > > There are two "publishings": > > (1) Publish a Form Definition -- i.e., make a form definition visible to > ODK Collect through its "Get Blank Form" screen (so that you can download > the form definition to your device and begin collecting data using it). > > This is done by uploading the form definition to ODK Aggregate so that it > appears on the *Form Management / Forms List* sub-tab. You upload the > form definition (XML) file using the "Add New Form" button on that sub-tab. > > Once a form definition is uploaded to ODK Aggregate, you can control > whether the form is visible in ODK Collect's "Get Blank Form" screen using > the "Downloadable" checkbox on the *Form Management / Forms List* > sub-tab. If you uncheck "Downloadable", then the form will not be visible > to ODK Collect on that "Get Blank Form" screen. This does not remove the > form from your device. There is no mechanism to revoke or remove forms from > devices. > > (2) Publish your Collected Data to an external server -- i.e., to Fusion > Tables, Google Sheets, or one of the custom publishers like the "Z-ALPHA > JSON Server". The options for accessing your data are covered here: > https://opendatakit.org/use/aggregate/data-transfer/ > > ======================== > > As long as you have done (1), you should be able to configure ODK Collect > to point to your server and retrieve the form definition from it. To > configure ODK Collect to use your server, click on the menu > (3-vertical-box) icon at the top of ODK Collect's initial screen. Choose > General Settings, then under Server Settings, make sure that the "Platform" > is "ODK Aggregate" and choose "Configure platform settings". Enter your > local ODK Aggregate server's information. > > If you have configured the server to not allow the anonymousUser to access > it, you will need to specify an ODK Aggregate username and password (the > e-mail address is not used when ODK Collect communicates with the server). > That username must be granted Data Collector permissions. Note that the > password for a username is initially unusable; you must explicitly change > it before you can use that username. And you must "Save Changes" on the > permissions screen before the changes take effect. > > > > > > > On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM, <david....@gmail.com > wrote: > >> Hello, I work for a Goverment Institution in Costa Rica and we're >> evaluating ODK, but there have being some problems. >> >> We're testing locally, download the aggregate VM and configure with a new >> lan IP address. We have access to the aggregate website, add a test form >> created in the build plataform. Next when we tryied to publish the form, >> since we are local avoid the google options and use "Z-ALPHA JSON Server", >> but when we try download the form using the ODK Collect app for android fro >> a phone the published form doesn't appear. I've configured the app to use >> the local ip address for the aggregate server and use the default user and >> a new user but no luck. >> >> Is there something we're missing here? >> >> Thanks >> >> David >> >> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com >