Hi,

I am making a list of children in Q1, and in next sections trying to
collect information related to each child on the list. The next section
shows all children entered in Q1 as a DROPDOWN list, for the data guy to
select one and fill answers related to that child. The problem is, I want
that the child whose data has been collected, should get removed from the
dropdown automatically, so that the data guy only has the list of children
whose data is yet to be collected (and the children whose data is done
should not appear on the list in next loop).

Can someone help as to how to do this?

Regards,
Saad

can you provide an example?

··· On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 10:39:53 AM UTC+2, Saad wrote: > Hi, > > > I am making a list of children in Q1, and in next sections trying to collect information related to each child on the list. The next section shows all children entered in Q1 as a DROPDOWN list, for the data guy to select one and fill answers related to that child. The problem is, I want that the child whose data has been collected, should get removed from the dropdown automatically, so that the data guy only has the list of children whose data is yet to be collected (and the children whose data is done should not appear on the list in next loop). > > > Can someone help as to how to do this? > > > Regards, > Saad

is question 1 a drop down list prepared previously (data collected in a previous version of the same form or another form)?

the only way to automatically eliminate choices from a list is using the cascading selects

i would suggest using this methodology:
start by an integer question: How many children are you collecting information for?
based on the answer of this question start a repeat;
begin repeat (repeat count value will be based on the integer question)
(insert all your questions here)
end repeat

··· On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 10:39:53 AM UTC+2, Saad wrote: > Hi, > > > I am making a list of children in Q1, and in next sections trying to collect information related to each child on the list. The next section shows all children entered in Q1 as a DROPDOWN list, for the data guy to select one and fill answers related to that child. The problem is, I want that the child whose data has been collected, should get removed from the dropdown automatically, so that the data guy only has the list of children whose data is yet to be collected (and the children whose data is done should not appear on the list in next loop). > > > Can someone help as to how to do this? > > > Regards, > Saad

i dont think that is possible in ODK
but if add the integer how many children do you have?
and make the repeat based on that number, set the relevancy to that repeat to only if its marked as a child, inside the repeat you can display both the name and the number of the child and all your children questions will be repeated based on the number of children

I provided the exact scenario :slight_smile: Let me know what is the confusing item,
and I can try to explain it again.

··· On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 14:03:11 UTC+5, mustafa...@gmail.com wrote: > > On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 10:39:53 AM UTC+2, Saad wrote: > > Hi, > > > > > > I am making a list of children in Q1, and in next sections trying to > collect information related to each child on the list. The next section > shows all children entered in Q1 as a DROPDOWN list, for the data guy to > select one and fill answers related to that child. The problem is, I want > that the child whose data has been collected, should get removed from the > dropdown automatically, so that the data guy only has the list of children > whose data is yet to be collected (and the children whose data is done > should not appear on the list in next loop). > > > > > > Can someone help as to how to do this? > > > > > > Regards, > > Saad > > can you provide an example? >

Actually its a lengthy form, where Q1 is a text question which asks you to
enter all family members' names (including children) and mark them as adult
or child. The form has many other sections, and children's section comes
way down. Your technique is naturally good if children question is the only
one in the form. But the form structure forces it to collect members info
first and then move ahead. Therefore, on reaching children's section, I
need a dropdown list with elements to be the children entered in Q1, and
then process the list items one by one. I want to exclude the children from
the dropdown which have been processed one-by-one, so that at every repeat
iteration, the list only carry the children which are still to be processed.

··· On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 15:42:49 UTC+5, mustafa...@gmail.com wrote: > > On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 10:39:53 AM UTC+2, Saad wrote: > > Hi, > > > > > > I am making a list of children in Q1, and in next sections trying to > collect information related to each child on the list. The next section > shows all children entered in Q1 as a DROPDOWN list, for the data guy to > select one and fill answers related to that child. The problem is, I want > that the child whose data has been collected, should get removed from the > dropdown automatically, so that the data guy only has the list of children > whose data is yet to be collected (and the children whose data is done > should not appear on the list in next loop). > > > > > > Can someone help as to how to do this? > > > > > > Regards, > > Saad > > is question 1 a drop down list prepared previously (data collected in a > previous version of the same form or another form)? > > the only way to automatically eliminate choices from a list is using the > cascading selects > > i would suggest using this methodology: > start by an integer question: How many children are you collecting > information for? > based on the answer of this question start a repeat; > begin repeat (repeat count value will be based on the integer question) > (insert all your questions here) > end repeat >

Saad,

choice_filter can reduce a list based on previous answers.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/opendatakit/wtbLSkTdtNk/iUugSTXICgAJ

I haven't tried that choice_filter in a repeat, so try a small form
and see how it works. You might have to use indexed-repeat() and
position(..) commands to get the correct behavior.

Yaw

··· On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:37 PM, wrote: > On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 10:39:53 AM UTC+2, Saad wrote: >> Hi, >> >> >> I am making a list of children in Q1, and in next sections trying to collect information related to each child on the list. The next section shows all children entered in Q1 as a DROPDOWN list, for the data guy to select one and fill answers related to that child. The problem is, I want that the child whose data has been collected, should get removed from the dropdown automatically, so that the data guy only has the list of children whose data is yet to be collected (and the children whose data is done should not appear on the list in next loop). >> >> >> Can someone help as to how to do this? >> >> >> Regards, >> Saad > > i dont think that is possible in ODK > but if add the integer how many children do you have? > and make the repeat based on that number, set the relevancy to that repeat to only if its marked as a child, inside the repeat you can display both the name and the number of the child and all your children questions will be repeated based on the number of children > > -- > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.