Export data from mobile

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
I want to export my fill up forms from mobile to my laptop by using ODK Briefcase v1.2.3 Production.jar.When I plug-in my mobile with my laptop how could I pull and push them.
I want to use mount sd card option in ODK Bri.efcase
What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
ODK Collect v1.4 rev 1038 version and Samsung J7 is using for data collection

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.
I am not programmer I just know how to construct form but don't know how to transfer the data from mobile to laptop

1 Like

Hi Badrun! First, I'd encourage you to update both your versions of Collect and Briefcase. There've been a lot of improvements to the tools over the years that I think you'd find useful. You can find Collect on the Play Store or here. Briefcase can be found here.

As to the problem you are having, the Android team has made it very difficult to connect computers to devices. Mitch said it best...

Instead, for Android 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, you must copy the odk directory off of your device onto your computer, and then use the 'Custom Path to ODK Directory' choice to choose the odk directory that you copied off of the device.

BUT: copying the directory off of the device is not easy -- Windows and MacOSX each have different problems with recognizing devices connected via USB.

The reliable way I have found to do this is to use a file manager application on your device, e.g., OI File Manager, to create a ZIP file of the /sdcard/odk directory, then send that zip file to your computer either via a file copy or via an e-mail attachment, etc. Once you get the full zip on your computer, you can then extract the contents, and use ODK Briefcase to pull the data from the odk directory.

The one caveat is that if you pull forms directly in this way, ODK Briefcase has no way of knowing which forms are incomplete or unfinalized, so you will get those forms as well. Depending on your use-case, you might want to discard those in ODK Collect first.

hi @Badrun_Nahar,

You can also pull the whole ODK directory to your computer using adb.exe as explained here. The limitations pointed out by @yanokwa concerning incomplete and non-finalized forms remain valid.

Being of the "I am not programmer" group as well I use the following process:
Use MyPhoneExplorer (MPE) to copy the full ODK directory to the desktop. I use MPE since windows does not seem to recognise or copy over all XML files. JPG's are fine.
Then to pull forms use 'Custom Path to ODK Directory' from the 'Pull Data From' dropdown menu in Briefcase and navigate to your copied ODK folder. Just select the folder not the contents.
Then pull the forms you need into the ODK Briefcase Storage folder.
I then export my instances to a dedicated output folder.
Note. I have to clear the files from the ODK Briefcase Storage folder before I download a new project. Otherwise it will concatenate your old data to the new. I also delete the downloaded ODK folder on the PC once I am happy with the result and remove the instances from the device.

MyPhoneExplorer should be installed on your PC and your android device to work and have developer mode enabled with USB debugging checked on your android device.
The hardest part is probably getting MPE to connect. Once you have that working the process is easy if not a little convoluted.
Ian

1 Like