Field Notes for forms and ODK build

Below is a small wish list of things we've noticed as we've been using
forms in the field the last 4 days or so.

Photos can't be rotated, so when you take a picture it comes in as
landscape regardless of the orientation you took the picture, so upon
importing into fusion forms the default info windows sometimes show
sideways photos. I've trained myself to not take portrait shots
anymore. Even though portrait is much better for snapping shots of
trees.

When using the form if the underlying value is different than the
english value, when you swipe back from the next screen the radial
english choice seems to have deselected itself. That experience was on
the Galaxy tab, I'll test it on the HTC desire tomorrow.

Time seems to be recorded at UTC no matter where you are even if the
phone time is in MST. the date is right but the hour shows up wrong.
Again that was on the Galaxy tab and the HTC desire. Both on Android

Would be helpful to have an option to display two columns of data, one
for the english choice and one for the underlying value. An easy
approach i've used is to build an english list with underlying names
the same as the english names and then recreate the same list again
with a second list of underlying values that equal the numerical
values i'm after. But it makes the form a little cumbersome and
redundant looking

Calculations within odk build would be great, some way to use the
underlying values to multiply against other values. In my selfish case
to establish the value of a tree I need to multiply its condition, (a
decimal) by its class (another decimal) by a set value and by the area
of a circle.

By the way we complain a lot, and we wanted to tell you guys that this
project rocks! Thanks for doing this for everyone.

Travis

thanks for the feedback, travis!

can i ask you to file these as bugs? it will allow us to triage and
get them taken care off as soon as we can.

as far as calculate, it is supported our form spec (see
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/Widgets.xml?repo=forms#101
for an example). it's not a top priority for build just yet, but you
should file it so we don't forget.

··· On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 16:30, Travis wrote: > Below is a small wish list of things we've noticed as we've been using > forms in the field the last 4 days or so. > > Photos can't be rotated, so when you take a picture it comes in as > landscape regardless of the orientation you took the picture, so upon > importing into fusion forms the default info windows sometimes show > sideways photos. I've trained myself to not take portrait shots > anymore. Even though portrait is much better for snapping shots of > trees. > > When using the form if the underlying value is different than the > english value, when you swipe back from the next screen the radial > english choice seems to have deselected itself. That experience was on > the Galaxy tab, I'll test it on the HTC desire tomorrow. > > Time seems to be recorded at UTC no matter where you are even if the > phone time is in MST. the date is right but the hour shows up wrong. > Again that was on the Galaxy tab and the HTC desire. Both on Android > 2.2. > > Would be helpful to have an option to display two columns of data, one > for the english choice and one for the underlying value. An easy > approach i've used is to build an english list with underlying names > the same as the english names and then recreate the same list again > with a second list of underlying values that equal the numerical > values i'm after. But it makes the form a little cumbersome and > redundant looking > > Calculations within odk build would be great, some way to use the > underlying values to multiply against other values. In my selfish case > to establish the value of a tree I need to multiply its condition, (a > decimal) by its class (another decimal) by a set value and by the area > of a circle. > > By the way we complain a lot, and we wanted to tell you guys that this > project rocks! Thanks for doing this for everyone. > > Travis > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Done,

Thanks.

··· On Jan 25, 6:24 pm, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > thanks for the feedback, travis! > > can i ask you to file these as bugs? it will allow us to triage and > get them taken care off as soon as we can. > > as far as calculate, it is supported our form spec (seehttp://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/Widgets.xml?repo=f... > for an example). it's not a top priority for build just yet, but you > should file it so we don't forget. > > > > > > > > On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 16:30, Travis wrote: > > Below is a small wish list of things we've noticed as we've been using > > forms in the field the last 4 days or so. > > > Photos can't be rotated, so when you take a picture it comes in as > > landscape regardless of the orientation you took the picture, so upon > > importing into fusion forms the default info windows sometimes show > > sideways photos. I've trained myself to not take portrait shots > > anymore. Even though portrait is much better for snapping shots of > > trees. > > > When using the form if the underlying value is different than the > > english value, when you swipe back from the next screen the radial > > english choice seems to have deselected itself. That experience was on > > the Galaxy tab, I'll test it on the HTC desire tomorrow. > > > Time seems to be recorded at UTC no matter where you are even if the > > phone time is in MST. the date is right but the hour shows up wrong. > > Again that was on the Galaxy tab and the HTC desire. Both on Android > > 2.2. > > > Would be helpful to have an option to display two columns of data, one > > for the english choice and one for the underlying value. An easy > > approach i've used is to build an english list with underlying names > > the same as the english names and then recreate the same list again > > with a second list of underlying values that equal the numerical > > values i'm after. But it makes the form a little cumbersome and > > redundant looking > > > Calculations within odk build would be great, some way to use the > > underlying values to multiply against other values. In my selfish case > > to establish the value of a tree I need to multiply its condition, (a > > decimal) by its class (another decimal) by a set value and by the area > > of a circle. > > > By the way we complain a lot, and we wanted to tell you guys that this > > project rocks! Thanks for doing this for everyone. > > > Travis > > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en