Form list choices are vertical!

What is the problem? Please be detailed.

I'm using CSV files to load select choices for some forms. On some forms, the list looks normal, the options are all horizontal like so:

A few other forms though, the choices go vertical, and often can't be chosen either. They look like this:

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?

ODK Collect v 1.17.0 on Samsung S9/Android v.8.0.0 & LG G5/Android 8.0.0

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

Unsure. These are the same forms with the same CSV files we've been using for months without problems. We suddenly noticed this today. Perhaps the ODK Collect 1.17.0 upgrade is doing something unexpected?

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I've completely reinstalled ODK and all forms. The same forms have the same behaviours. I've examined if using a Select versus a Select1 was relevant to the problem, it's not. We've even turned the phones off and on!

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.
Here is an example of the form and it's CSV:

CSVerrorForm.xml (8.0 KB)
TrapLists.csv (2.1 KB)

Help!

Thank you very much for reporting this, @Greg_Pommen, and I'm really sorry you seem to find all the oddest cases. Please make sure someone on your team joins the beta program (read more at ODK Collect v1.17 Beta) so we can make sure these kinds of things are fixed before a release.

Collect v1.17.0 makes it possible to combine select appearances. For example, it makes it possible to create a grid of questions from a CSV using the list appearance. But the problem is that the search() appearance/function could have any text in it, including one of the recognized appearances. In your case, your CSV filename includes the text list.

I will prepare a fix for this and it should be released tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt response! You also gave my coworkers a good laugh about my ability to find the odd cases! :slight_smile: I'll have to see if I can repurpose a phone for the beta program. When I was in the program before, I couldn't run the beta and production versions on the same phone.

Thanks for taking it in stride!

Ah yes, that's right. It's a bit tedious but what I do on my testing device is join the beta program and download the update. Then when the release comes out (or if I were in production, when I needed to go back to actual data collection), uninstall Collect, leave the beta program and then download it again. This process resets settings but leaves forms alone (though I always recommend sending any collected data before downloading the beta). You can easily recover your settings if needed by saving a QR code and loading it on reinstall.

1 Like

Collect v1.17.1 addresses this and is now rolling out.

I just tested it and it works great! Thank you so much @LN!

1 Like