Form Navigation/Branching

I have developed a few survey forms with ODK Collect. It is a great
tool.

The surveys I am performing are related by have distinct
sections....and sections within sections.

The grouping function, combined with appropriate use of the field-list
tag makes this easy.

My problem is that the survey is not necessarily linear. Section 2 is
not predicated on results in Section3, or 4.

I tried a auto-advance/select_one list as a sort of navigation. This
works however when to navigate back to the select list page and select
a different branch, only the last branch results are saved. I also
tried a auto-advance/select_multiple list, selecting one, filling out
the branch forms, and then back to the list, select a different,
filling out the branch forms, and then back to the list and selecting
all. All records were saved by the xpaths were not correct.

Am I missing something? Is there a proper way to perfom this task? A
successful work around?

All help appreciated.

DJ

There currently isn't great support for this kind of interaction.
JavaROSA only saves values of the relevant path you took through the
form.

You can either have individual forms for each section and join them
with an id, or you can extend ODK Collect with a menu button that
makes it more easy to jump to different sections or maybe extend it
with auto-launch next form feature.

ODK 2.0 will likely have better support for this use-case.

··· On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM, DJ wrote: > I have developed a few survey forms with ODK Collect. It is a great > tool. > > The surveys I am performing are related by have distinct > sections....and sections within sections. > > The grouping function, combined with appropriate use of the field-list > tag makes this easy. > > My problem is that the survey is not necessarily linear. Section 2 is > not predicated on results in Section3, or 4. > > I tried a auto-advance/select_one list as a sort of navigation. This > works however when to navigate back to the select list page and select > a different branch, only the last branch results are saved. I also > tried a auto-advance/select_multiple list, selecting one, filling out > the branch forms, and then back to the list, select a different, > filling out the branch forms, and then back to the list and selecting > all. All records were saved by the xpaths were not correct. > > Am I missing something? Is there a proper way to perfom this task? A > successful work around? > > All help appreciated. > > DJ > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Thanks for the quick reply.

By "extending ODK Collect with a menu button", do you mean a native
android button, or is this a xforms function.

If it is the former, do know of an example to follow?

Thanks again. DJ

··· On Aug 22, 9:14 am, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > There currently isn't great support for this kind of interaction. > JavaROSA only saves values of the relevant path you took through the > form. > > You can either have individual forms for each section and join them > with an id, or you can extend ODK Collect with a menu button that > makes it more easy to jump to different sections or maybe extend it > with auto-launch next form feature. > > ODK 2.0 will likely have better support for this use-case. > > > > > > > > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM, DJ wrote: > > I have developed a few survey forms with ODK Collect. It is a great > > tool. > > > The surveys I am performing are related by have distinct > > sections....and sections within sections. > > > The grouping function, combined with appropriate use of the field-list > > tag makes this easy. > > > My problem is that the survey is not necessarily linear. Section 2 is > > not predicated on results in Section3, or 4. > > > I tried a auto-advance/select_one list as a sort of navigation. This > > works however when to navigate back to the select list page and select > > a different branch, only the last branch results are saved. I also > > tried a auto-advance/select_multiple list, selecting one, filling out > > the branch forms, and then back to the list, select a different, > > filling out the branch forms, and then back to the list and selecting > > all. All records were saved by the xpaths were not correct. > > > Am I missing something? Is there a proper way to perfom this task? A > > successful work around? > > > All help appreciated. > > > DJ > > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

I mean an Android button. You're going to have to write Java code or
hire someone (see http://opendatakit.org/help/help-for-hire/) to
customize Collect.

··· On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM, DJ wrote: > Thanks for the quick reply. > > By "extending ODK Collect with a menu button", do you mean a native > android button, or is this a xforms function. > > If it is the former, do know of an example to follow? > > Thanks again. DJ > > On Aug 22, 9:14 am, Yaw Anokwa wrote: >> There currently isn't great support for this kind of interaction. >> JavaROSA only saves values of the relevant path you took through the >> form. >> >> You can either have individual forms for each section and join them >> with an id, or you can extend ODK Collect with a menu button that >> makes it more easy to jump to different sections or maybe extend it >> with auto-launch next form feature. >> >> ODK 2.0 will likely have better support for this use-case. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM, DJ wrote: >> > I have developed a few survey forms with ODK Collect. It is a great >> > tool. >> >> > The surveys I am performing are related by have distinct >> > sections....and sections within sections. >> >> > The grouping function, combined with appropriate use of the field-list >> > tag makes this easy. >> >> > My problem is that the survey is not necessarily linear. Section 2 is >> > not predicated on results in Section3, or 4. >> >> > I tried a auto-advance/select_one list as a sort of navigation. This >> > works however when to navigate back to the select list page and select >> > a different branch, only the last branch results are saved. I also >> > tried a auto-advance/select_multiple list, selecting one, filling out >> > the branch forms, and then back to the list, select a different, >> > filling out the branch forms, and then back to the list and selecting >> > all. All records were saved by the xpaths were not correct. >> >> > Am I missing something? Is there a proper way to perfom this task? A >> > successful work around? >> >> > All help appreciated. >> >> > DJ >> >> > -- >> > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en