Geotrace in background

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

I want to collect geo trace data in background while user can ask further question as well.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

ODK Collect, Aggregate

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

Hi @noman.s2325, ODK Collect v2021.2 supports background capture of Geotraces. You may want to consider upgrading Aggregate to Central, as Aggregate is at it's end of life.

1 Like

Hi @Florian_May
Apologies if this sounds critical, but is this a correct interpretation of the question and/or background capture of geotraces? I ask because of my previous requests along this line (sorry for the unintended pun!)...

My interpretation (and probably yours) is that @noman.s2325 wants to be able to set a geotrace running within a form and then continue collecting data in the same form. In which case it's very similar to:

and

and of course, your (fantastic) master plan:

I think that the support for background geotrace is actually enabling ODK to continue capturing locations whilst the screen is locked or another app is active?

So perhaps the three of us are confusing the word background? Maybe @seadowg can clarify as he implemented the feature...

Maybe we really mean parallel recording, not background recording?

The only way I have managed to achieve this "function" to date is to run a GPS track in a navigation app (e.g. Oruxmaps or Viewranger) then added a question at the end to upload a file into the form (you need to stop recording the track in the other app and export as gpx or kml). This is a bit onerous for enumerators who are not fully committed to the nuances of collecting data.

I have another project that needs this functionality, which is why I was delving into the topic!

2 Likes

@seewhy correct. Collect currently allows you to continue to record geo trace points while the phone is locked or while using an app but it does not allow you to record points while answering other questions. That said you could the audit log's location tracking to record points while a form is filled out. @noman.s2325 would that work for you?

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, yes i can use audit log to achieve this function.

Thanks for your time and wonderful support.