Google Cloud now requires a credit card. Has that been a problem for you?

For identity verification purposes, Google now requires a credit card or banking details to use the Google Cloud Platform that Google App Engine runs on.

I've updated the docs to reflect this

I'm curious if others have run into this requirement? If so, was it reasonable for you to resolve? I'm asking because if it's a big blocker to using ODK, then we have to find a way around it...

3 Likes

Dear Yaw,

Thanks for updating the documentation on the Google App engine related recent changes. This is causing some issues. I believe some organizations like where I am working on have some common issue, the field offices do not have a credit card to use on their server and the in some cases the HQ is not allowed to use their company or personal cards for this purpose. I know perhaps this is not a big amount of money; but it is making some policy related discomfort.

Other hosting providers are quite straight forward they have a fixed charge. Unlike others googles billing process is not very clear. Is there any chance to host ODK Aggregate with a straight forward procedure as it can be installed on App Engine?

Thanks again,
Imran

1 Like

Thanks for this detail, @A.N.M_AL-IMRAN. For most projects, there shouldn't be a charge because the $200/month credit should cover usage. Was that clear from the docs?

As to the complexity of Google's billing, I agree! Not much we can do about that currently, but I'll make sure our contacts at Google see your comment.

1 Like

Dear Yaw,

Thanks for the detailed response. This is helpful.

Imran

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Linking ODK Aggregate with Mapserver or Geoserver