Video for using Google Drive/Sheets as server

hi @LN, I have just tested the google sheet and released that some of this features should be look at,

1. the names of the media files should used the instance name or something that can be easily identify.
    like the name of the image files, audio files and video files. they are in numeric which does not give a clear picture as to which entry it belongs to when you download it.

@Grzesiek2010 it will be good if the repeat group issues are fixed.

good work to everyone

thanks
fabla2020@gmail.com

1 Like

Thanks @LN and @Fabla

I have just tried out the media options. Not thoroughly tested but my guess is that uploading/downloading media takes a bit longer via Drive/Sheets than it does via Aggregate?

I think using Drive/Sheets is still probably okay under GDPR. Google's advice is here also involving Privacy Shield which I was previously unaware of. Of course there are still other reasons people may want their own server.

3 Likes

Agreed that this could be better. I've filed an issue at https://github.com/opendatakit/collect/issues/2005 so we can understand what our options are.

Hi @LN and @yanokwa, i am testing the google/sheets as a server and i would like to know if it is possible to use external file (csv file) to pull data from the external file to the form, if Yes can you brief me on how it will be done?

i am thinking about pulling a census data into the baseline form using the external file of the census data is that possible. like information of household when you entered the household id into the baseline form it should pull information of that household to confirm that you are in the right household. thank you.

thanks

Yes, absolutely. It works the same way as with other media -- you put your csv in the -media folder. Try it out and please let me know if you have additional questions!

1 Like

Thanks @LN, it works when i copy the csv file to the -media folder. now my question is, if i want to share the xform and the results/response file to enumerators to be complete the questions and submit the form by giving them permission to view and edit right respectively, how do i get the csv file into their -media folder if they are not close to me and have to download the forms for the survey. like how it is done in aggregate server. you upload the xform together with the csv file.

thanks

1 Like

Great! Now you can share both the xml and the -media folder with enumerators. From Collect, they will get the form xml from “Shared With Me” in “Get Blank Form”. Collect will automatically pull the corresponding -media folder.

1 Like

@LN, this is great, i have tried it and it works perfectly. this is great.
thanks

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I got around to making a video about this feature and here it is:

Hope someone finds it useful
Any feedback don't be shy!
Thanks

11 Likes

Nice work
I also appreciate your work

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Invalid sheet ID when submitting to Google Sheets

2 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to make API calls when running Collect

@Johnnycardel I saw in your introduction that you were having trouble with Gsheets integration. Have you checked out this very useful video? If you have any specific questions it doesn't answer, please post in the support category!

Thanks for the information.

1 Like

Is there a tutorial, if the form is created in ODK Build? Thank you ., Im a newbie

Here is link of ODK form createion .
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=How+to+create+a+form+in+ODK

Please introduce yourself here https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=How+to+create+a+form+in+ODK

Best,
@iamnarendrasingh

A post was split to a new topic: How do I provide multiple forms from Google Drive?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Same formid/version in Google Sheets

2 posts were split to a new topic: Records can only be submitted to spreadsheets created in Google Sheets