How can I manually configure a Central project in Collect if I can't scan in a QR code?

Hello!

I'm wondering what URL and credentials to enter when manually entering details to add a project:

We would like to provide our fieldworkers with the option to manually enter project details to add a project in case any QR scanners aren't working. When trying to do this myself and inputing the ODK Central server URL, username, and password associated with my project, I am unable to Get Blank Forms. Instead, I get the error message "Form list download failed." I've tried with both my server URL and the project-specific URL, as well as with different admin credentials used in our project and none seem to work.

I'm wondering if I'm just not entering the correct URL and credentials or if it's another issue.

Thanks in advance,
Xing

1 Like

Hello,
You don't need any credentials for entering project details manually. You need a URL in this format: https://centraladdress.com/v1/key/userToken/projects/projectId
Replace userToken and projectId with actual values. For instance, https://centraladdress.com/v1/key/XsFe2verxxxxxxxx/projects/2
To see a token, which is generated for each app user, login to central and enter https://centraladdress.com/v1/projects/2/app-users in your browser. You'll see tokens of all app users, including other details.
For more details consult the ODK central API

3 Likes

Thanks very much for your response! I was able to manually add a project following the URL format you indicated.

3 Likes

If you do see devices that are unable to scan QR codes, please let us know. We generally believe this to be rare and it would be helpful to know that assumption is incorrect. So far we've had one project let us know they were trying to use an older device without a camera.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Is OpenRosa Basic auth supported by ODK Central?

Hi @LN,
We sometimes face this issue of scanning QR code from mobile phone. For example, field worker scanning QR code with survey tablet from their personal phone. The issue is that when QR is opened on phone, it is displayed on full screen and Collect fails to recognize it because of the rough texture around the phone. When zoomed out, the phone adds a black background. Collect fails again to recognize QR with a black background.
The solution is to add white background around the QR code. In our case, the field worker zooms out the QR image on phone and takes its screenshot. The screenshot adds white background. Collect is then able to scan the QR code from the screenshot.

Hi @shashpal

Thanks for providing this info.

Quick question - are the tokens not available whilst the project is still in draft mode? As I tried this and just got an error message saying the site cannot be reached.

Many thanks,

Faran

@shashpal I apologize for the silence in response to your comment. We know this can be an issue and it's tracked at ODK Central QR code should include a white border and be on screen on mobile

@faran_d App Users should be functional even when no published forms are assigned to them. How did you try to use the token and what error did you get? In general, you should not expect to be able to go to the URL with the App User token using a browser.

Hi @LN

Thanks for your response! I used the link template that @shashpal provided: https://centraladdress.com/v/projects/2/app-users

And slotted in my central address, but just got the following error:

Not sure what bit I'm doing incorrectly?

Thanks again,

Faran

There should be a /v1/ part after the Central, not /v/. I've edited @shashpal's post above to reduce confusion!

Hi @LN

Thanks for your response - I tried this too but still got the same result

Faran

Hello Hélène @LN , the thing is that as you mention it is rare to find devices that dont have a camera, but its not that rare to find common use mobile phones or personal use devices that have a broken or bad camera, and this case increases in low access or low income places, and the thing is that odk is very often used in these places so, its better to have many ways to configure odk collect.