Hide multi select choices based on choice in a previous multi select question type

I have 2 multi select type of questions with different choices. and I want to hide certain choices in Q2 based on certain choices in Q1... in the attached; is it possible to hide the choice 'Slow' in Q2 if one picked 'Fast' in Q1? if so, what formula should I use?

Thanks.

select_multiple.xlsx (11.2 KB)

Hi,

Please try the attached file.

Thanks
select_multiple_i.xlsx (11.4 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Imran. your solution works fine. but isn't there a way of doing it without introducing another question? - I needed to hide more than one choice and that will mean I have to introduce more questions - Otherwise I might just have to put a constraint "not(selected(${what_liked}, 'fast') and selected(${what_disliked}, 'slow'))"

Thanks

Hi Dan,

I am not sure whether there is a way of hiding option from lookup list. However, I think using constraint can be another good solution without having duplicate question.

Thanks,
Imran

1 Like

Thanks Imran,

I appreciate for both your time and response. I will proceed with the constraints as hopefully wait to hear if someone else has a different solution before I can close this post.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan, Please try attached xml form. Itried it and seems working.
select_multiple.xml (3.0 KB)

Thanks @Bornok . I sincerely got lost in the xml form. is this doable in xls? and i'd also really want to remain with the string values.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Please see attached excel file. I tested it in enketo and works perfectly fine.

select_multiple.xlsx (12.1 KB)

1 Like

Hi Bornok,

it still didn't work for me as I am still able to see 'fast' and 'slow' .. see attached

@Bornok is right that the best approach is to use a "choice filter". These are generally used in the context of cascading selects but in fact any true/false expression can be used to filter values in a list. You shouldn't need the extra calculates introduced, though.

You can see the technique described at Reducing multiple choices dependent on previous selection - #11 by Matthew_Reeve and you can see what it looks like with the negation in your form in this example.

The interesting part that is a little tricky to come up with is that name refers to the name column in the choices sheet. It's also possible to filter on label using label instead.

3 Likes

Dear Hélène Martin,

Thank you for your suggestion and sample form, this is indeed absolutely fantastic.

1 Like

Excellent! @LN, very useful tip.

2 Likes

Thanks @LN and everyone else for your support.

1 Like