HOW TO make 'child surveys'/'branches' >> certain answers/choices following different paths

Hello,

I am new to ODK & am looking to create 'child surveys'/'branches' in my
survey - or something to this effect (that is what they are called in
Dooblo, the program I was using). In english I would say that I need
certain answers/choices would follow different paths. Aside from all the
research I've done into this, I am totally clueless as to what I need to
use.

Complicated explanation:

I have a Main Survey(1) which will have basic questions such as date,
time, name & the last question would be something like "Which inspection
would you like to perform" > answers: "inspection, plumbing, retail desks" etc.
Upon selection of one of those *answers *a child survey(2) would open.
On occasion I would have another child survey(3) interrupt and open, for
instance this would occur if one of the questions answers might be "needs
maintenance" and then would need to open an 'incident correction form'
where the user must complete this survey(3) & upon completion it would
need to go back to child survey(2) so the user can finish it.

I hope this is clear.. I have attached my main survey (conquest) and an
example of a child survey (toilet_male). I am curious to know if it is
possible to add a command to one of my 'choices' and then paste my child
survey
below the main survey and the command would direct it to skip a
series of rows.

I hope that someone will be able to guide me towards what I am looking for

Thank you!

conquest.xls (39.5 KB)

male_toilet.xls (37 KB)

Look for the item "Cascading Selects in ODK Collect 1.2 - An Example"
published on July 23th with form some samples. Maybe that can help you.

Al 27/07/2012 15:14, En/na Imobi ha escrit:

··· > Hello, > > I am new to ODK & am looking to create *'child surveys'/'branches'* in > my survey - or something to this effect (that is what they are called > in Dooblo, the program I was using). In /english/ I would say that I > need certain answers/choices would follow different paths. Aside from > all the research I've done into this, I am totally clueless as to what > I need to use. > > Complicated explanation: > > > I have a *Main Survey(1)* which will have basic questions such as > date, time, name & the last question would be something like > "Which inspection would you like to perform" > answers: > /"inspection, plumbing, retail desks"/ etc. Upon selection of one > of those /answers /a *child survey(2)* would open. On occasion I > would have another *child survey(3)* interrupt and open, for > instance this would occur if one of the questions answers might be > "needs maintenance" and then would need to open an 'incident > correction form' where the user must complete this *survey(3)* & > upon completion it would need to go back to *child survey(2)* so > the user can finish it. > > > I hope this is clear.. I have attached my *main survey (conquest)* and > an example of a *child survey (toilet_male)*. I am curious to know if > it is possible to add a command to one of my 'choices' and then paste > my *child survey* below the *main survey* and the command would direct > it to skip a series of rows. > > I hope that someone will be able to guide me towards what I am looking for > > Thank you! > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Check out the skipping questions section in the XLSForm documentationhttp://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/xlsform/
You can create a group (which is sort of like a child survey), and you can
make it so the group only appears if the formula in the "relevant" column
is true. If your want a group to appear depending on the value of a select
you would use a formula like this:
selected(${previous_question_name}, 'choice')
Let us know if that does what you had in mind.
Hope this helps,
-Nathan

··· On Friday, July 27, 2012 6:26:26 AM UTC-7, Francesc wrote: > > Look for the item "Cascading Selects in ODK Collect 1.2 - An Example" > published on July 23th with form some samples. Maybe that can help you. > > > Al 27/07/2012 15:14, En/na Imobi ha escrit: > > Hello, > > I am new to ODK & am looking to create *'child surveys'/'branches'* in > my survey - or something to this effect (that is what they are called in > Dooblo, the program I was using). In *english* I would say that I need > certain answers/choices would follow different paths. Aside from all the > research I've done into this, I am totally clueless as to what I need to > use. > > Complicated explanation: > > > I have a *Main Survey(1)* which will have basic questions such as date, > time, name & the last question would be something like "Which inspection > would you like to perform" > answers: *"inspection, plumbing, retail > desks"* etc. Upon selection of one of those *answers *a *child survey(2)* would > open. On occasion I would have another *child survey(3)* interrupt and > open, for instance this would occur if one of the questions answers might > be "needs maintenance" and then would need to open an 'incident correction > form' where the user must complete this *survey(3)* & upon completion it > would need to go back to *child survey(2)* so the user can finish it. > > > I hope this is clear.. I have attached my *main survey (conquest)* and > an example of a *child survey (toilet_male)*. I am curious to know if it > is possible to add a command to one of my 'choices' and then paste my *child > survey* below the *main survey* and the command would direct it to skip a > series of rows. > > I hope that someone will be able to guide me towards what I am looking > for > > Thank you! > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > >

Hi Nathan,

Yes that worked perfectly. Thank you for the guidance!

··· On Friday, July 27, 2012 9:45:06 PM UTC+2, Nathan wrote: > > Check out the skipping questions section in the XLSForm documentation > . > You can create a group (which is sort of like a child survey), and you can > make it so the group only appears if the formula in the "relevant" column > is true. If your want a group to appear depending on the value of a select > you would use a formula like this: > selected(${previous_question_name}, 'choice') > Let us know if that does what you had in mind. > Hope this helps, > -Nathan > > On Friday, July 27, 2012 6:26:26 AM UTC-7, Francesc wrote: >> >> Look for the item "Cascading Selects in ODK Collect 1.2 - An Example" >> published on July 23th with form some samples. Maybe that can help you. >> >> >> Al 27/07/2012 15:14, En/na Imobi ha escrit: >> >> Hello, >> >> I am new to ODK & am looking to create *'child surveys'/'branches'* in >> my survey - or something to this effect (that is what they are called in >> Dooblo, the program I was using). In *english* I would say that I need >> certain answers/choices would follow different paths. Aside from all the >> research I've done into this, I am totally clueless as to what I need to >> use. >> >> Complicated explanation: >> >> >> I have a *Main Survey(1)* which will have basic questions such as date, >> time, name & the last question would be something like "Which inspection >> would you like to perform" > answers: *"inspection, plumbing, retail >> desks"* etc. Upon selection of one of those *answers *a *child survey(2)* would >> open. On occasion I would have another *child survey(3)* interrupt and >> open, for instance this would occur if one of the questions answers might >> be "needs maintenance" and then would need to open an 'incident correction >> form' where the user must complete this *survey(3)* & upon completion it >> would need to go back to *child survey(2)* so the user can finish it. >> >> >> I hope this is clear.. I have attached my *main survey (conquest)* and >> an example of a *child survey (toilet_male)*. I am curious to know if it >> is possible to add a command to one of my 'choices' and then paste my *child >> survey* below the *main survey* and the command would direct it to skip >> a series of rows. >> >> I hope that someone will be able to guide me towards what I am looking >> for >> >> Thank you! >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> >>

Hi Nathan,
Hoping you would have some insight to the following

I am now using groups to divide the information but I am stuck where I have
a group within a group and am looking for a way that I can achieve the
same results but not need to repeat my group in between each question.

I have attached my excel doc & highlighted in blue the part which I wish to
condense.

Do you know of a way that I could shorten this? (I will have about 30
questions/group (about 20 groups) so it would be great to not have to
repeat it all as this group (highlighted blue) is the same for each
question.

Thanks!

larisa_test.xls (57.5 KB)

··· On Friday, July 27, 2012 9:45:06 PM UTC+2, Nathan wrote: > > Check out the skipping questions section in the XLSForm documentation > . > You can create a group (which is sort of like a child survey), and you can > make it so the group only appears if the formula in the "relevant" column > is true. If your want a group to appear depending on the value of a select > you would use a formula like this: > selected(${previous_question_name}, 'choice') > Let us know if that does what you had in mind. > Hope this helps, > -Nathan > > On Friday, July 27, 2012 6:26:26 AM UTC-7, Francesc wrote: >> >> Look for the item "Cascading Selects in ODK Collect 1.2 - An Example" >> published on July 23th with form some samples. Maybe that can help you. >> >> >> Al 27/07/2012 15:14, En/na Imobi ha escrit: >> >> Hello, >> >> I am new to ODK & am looking to create *'child surveys'/'branches'* in >> my survey - or something to this effect (that is what they are called in >> Dooblo, the program I was using). In *english* I would say that I need >> certain answers/choices would follow different paths. Aside from all the >> research I've done into this, I am totally clueless as to what I need to >> use. >> >> Complicated explanation: >> >> >> I have a *Main Survey(1)* which will have basic questions such as date, >> time, name & the last question would be something like "Which inspection >> would you like to perform" > answers: *"inspection, plumbing, retail >> desks"* etc. Upon selection of one of those *answers *a *child survey(2)* would >> open. On occasion I would have another *child survey(3)* interrupt and >> open, for instance this would occur if one of the questions answers might >> be "needs maintenance" and then would need to open an 'incident correction >> form' where the user must complete this *survey(3)* & upon completion it >> would need to go back to *child survey(2)* so the user can finish it. >> >> >> I hope this is clear.. I have attached my *main survey (conquest)* and >> an example of a *child survey (toilet_male)*. I am curious to know if it >> is possible to add a command to one of my 'choices' and then paste my *child >> survey* below the *main survey* and the command would direct it to skip >> a series of rows. >> >> I hope that someone will be able to guide me towards what I am looking >> for >> >> Thank you! >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> >>

You could potentially use a repeat. However, you would need to reorganize
your survey in a way that might not be to your liking (see the attached
form for an example). Copying and pasting might be the better option.
Regards,
-Nathan

larisa_test.xls (27.5 KB)

··· On Monday, July 30, 2012 5:20:47 AM UTC-7, Imobi wrote: > > Hi Nathan, > Hoping you would have some insight to the following > > I am now using groups to divide the information but I am stuck where I > have a group *within* a group and am looking for a way that I can achieve > the same results but not need to repeat my group in between each question. > > I have attached my excel doc & highlighted in blue the part which I wish > to condense. > > Do you know of a way that I could shorten this? (I will have about 30 > questions/group (about 20 groups) so it would be great to not have to > repeat it all as this group (highlighted blue) is the same for each > question. > > Thanks! > > On Friday, July 27, 2012 9:45:06 PM UTC+2, Nathan wrote: >> >> Check out the skipping questions section in the XLSForm documentation >> . >> You can create a group (which is sort of like a child survey), and you >> can make it so the group only appears if the formula in the "relevant" >> column is true. If your want a group to appear depending on the value of a >> select you would use a formula like this: >> selected(${previous_question_name}, 'choice') >> Let us know if that does what you had in mind. >> Hope this helps, >> -Nathan >> >> On Friday, July 27, 2012 6:26:26 AM UTC-7, Francesc wrote: >>> >>> Look for the item "Cascading Selects in ODK Collect 1.2 - An Example" >>> published on July 23th with form some samples. Maybe that can help you. >>> >>> >>> Al 27/07/2012 15:14, En/na Imobi ha escrit: >>> >>> Hello, >>> >>> I am new to ODK & am looking to create *'child surveys'/'branches'* in >>> my survey - or something to this effect (that is what they are called in >>> Dooblo, the program I was using). In *english* I would say that I need >>> certain answers/choices would follow different paths. Aside from all the >>> research I've done into this, I am totally clueless as to what I need to >>> use. >>> >>> Complicated explanation: >>> >>> >>> I have a *Main Survey(1)* which will have basic questions such as >>> date, time, name & the last question would be something like "Which >>> inspection would you like to perform" > answers: *"inspection, >>> plumbing, retail desks"* etc. Upon selection of one of those *answers * >>> a *child survey(2)* would open. On occasion I would have another *child >>> survey(3)* interrupt and open, for instance this would occur if one of >>> the questions answers might be "needs maintenance" and then would need to >>> open an 'incident correction form' where the user must complete this * >>> survey(3)* & upon completion it would need to go back to *child >>> survey(2)* so the user can finish it. >>> >>> >>> I hope this is clear.. I have attached my *main survey (conquest)* and >>> an example of a *child survey (toilet_male)*. I am curious to know if >>> it is possible to add a command to one of my 'choices' and then paste my >>> *child survey* below the *main survey* and the command would direct it >>> to skip a series of rows. >>> >>> I hope that someone will be able to guide me towards what I am looking >>> for >>> >>> Thank you! >>> -- >>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >>> >>>

Thanks again for the help.

It's a very complicated survey, I think you are right - that I should just
copy and paste it.

Cheers

··· On Monday, July 30, 2012 9:33:05 PM UTC+2, Nathan wrote: > > You could potentially use a repeat. However, you would need to reorganize > your survey in a way that might not be to your liking (see the attached > form for an example). Copying and pasting might be the better option. > Regards, > -Nathan > > On Monday, July 30, 2012 5:20:47 AM UTC-7, Imobi wrote: >> >> Hi Nathan, >> Hoping you would have some insight to the following >> >> I am now using groups to divide the information but I am stuck where I >> have a group *within* a group and am looking for a way that I can >> achieve the same results but not need to repeat my group in between each >> question. >> >> I have attached my excel doc & highlighted in blue the part which I wish >> to condense. >> >> Do you know of a way that I could shorten this? (I will have about 30 >> questions/group (about 20 groups) so it would be great to not have to >> repeat it all as this group (highlighted blue) is the same for each >> question. >> >> Thanks! >> >> On Friday, July 27, 2012 9:45:06 PM UTC+2, Nathan wrote: >>> >>> Check out the skipping questions section in the XLSForm documentation >>> . >>> You can create a group (which is sort of like a child survey), and you >>> can make it so the group only appears if the formula in the "relevant" >>> column is true. If your want a group to appear depending on the value of a >>> select you would use a formula like this: >>> selected(${previous_question_name}, 'choice') >>> Let us know if that does what you had in mind. >>> Hope this helps, >>> -Nathan >>> >>> On Friday, July 27, 2012 6:26:26 AM UTC-7, Francesc wrote: >>>> >>>> Look for the item "Cascading Selects in ODK Collect 1.2 - An Example" >>>> published on July 23th with form some samples. Maybe that can help you. >>>> >>>> >>>> Al 27/07/2012 15:14, En/na Imobi ha escrit: >>>> >>>> Hello, >>>> >>>> I am new to ODK & am looking to create *'child surveys'/'branches'* in >>>> my survey - or something to this effect (that is what they are called in >>>> Dooblo, the program I was using). In *english* I would say that I need >>>> certain answers/choices would follow different paths. Aside from all the >>>> research I've done into this, I am totally clueless as to what I need to >>>> use. >>>> >>>> Complicated explanation: >>>> >>>> >>>> I have a *Main Survey(1)* which will have basic questions such as >>>> date, time, name & the last question would be something like "Which >>>> inspection would you like to perform" > answers: *"inspection, >>>> plumbing, retail desks"* etc. Upon selection of one of those *answers * >>>> a *child survey(2)* would open. On occasion I would have another *child >>>> survey(3)* interrupt and open, for instance this would occur if one of >>>> the questions answers might be "needs maintenance" and then would need to >>>> open an 'incident correction form' where the user must complete this * >>>> survey(3)* & upon completion it would need to go back to *child >>>> survey(2)* so the user can finish it. >>>> >>>> >>>> I hope this is clear.. I have attached my *main survey (conquest)* and >>>> an example of a *child survey (toilet_male)*. I am curious to know if >>>> it is possible to add a command to one of my 'choices' and then paste my >>>> *child survey* below the *main survey* and the command would direct it >>>> to skip a series of rows. >>>> >>>> I hope that someone will be able to guide me towards what I am >>>> looking for >>>> >>>> Thank you! >>>> -- >>>> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>> >>>> >>>>