How to prevent the entry of a previously entered data - 2020

Hi All,

The topic seems to have been discussed in the past, but not sure it was as per the terms I am facing today. So I am sort of re-opening it.

Let's say I have a village, and there are various farmers in that village. I know them, that is the farmers are listed in my "choices" sheet of the xls I use to prepare my form for collection.

I "begin_group", the "appearance" is a field-list, and now use a "select_one" that is I select one of the farmers, let's say Mr. John, and once done I have say 2 questions related to that farmer.

When I am done with the farmer, I reach on the mobile app / ODK collect the option to save, and then to send the saved form. Fine.

Now I need to do the same for a second farmer of that same village. The fact is that Mr. John appears in the list of possible farmers, so there is a risk that I select again Mr. John when in fact I am currently talking with Mrs. Maggie.

Is there a way to prevent selecting again Mr. John once the questionnaire pertaining to him was completed?

In advance, thank you.

Hi @Tanguy
you would need to collect data about all farmers in one form using repeat_group for example, otherwise if you do that in separate forms it's not possible because ODK Collect doesn't know about other (already saved) instances of the same form.

Hi Grzesiek2010,

Thanks for feedback. I thought about an option where all would be captured in one form, but was not really fan of this option, as you may meet farmers say "now", and others for instance later in the day, others tomorrow or even later, and somehow this would force you to keep an "open / ongoing" form until completion of data collection, so... risk of loss of data if "wrong move" done by user. Also in my case I am sort of pre-populating specific default values for each farmer on such or such field, a specific constraint that would be specific to each farmer, so I have additional complexities... that may be difficult to capture in a quite "generic" form . That may look weird but it applies to a quite small sample.

Anyways, thanks again for you reply.