Introduce yourself here!

I think we are in the same field, I also use ODK as a data collection tool for CDC HIV research project which is based on "prevention of mother-to-child transmission" in Namibia. The project runs on OpenMRS (online version) and ODK (offline version). The data collected using ODK is sent to a central server where it's extracted and analysed using STATA. I am looking forward to sharing some ODK and STATA experiences with you.

jack.nghaamwa@gmail.com

1 Like

I am brand new to this. I stumbled upon it in an Android GPS app search. I live in Northern California and like to tinker with stuff.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I am Brice Ramamonjy from :madagascar: Madagascar :madagascar:
I discovered ODK through the OpenStreetMap community and would like to learn more.
I am geographer, my favorite fields are GIS, rural and urban planning, environmental impact assessment, rural development and transport.
I have already participated in a data collection with ODK as a surveyor. Now I have to design survey questionnaires with interdependent questions and with several conversion units, starting with income from agricultural activities ...
I love to travel, map and love African food!
(I'm French speaking. Google Translate helped me :wink:)

3 Likes

Hello. This is Sumaiya Aijaz, a Market Research Consultant.

I have been using ODK for more than a year now and absolutely love this platform for always resolving my work problems :smiley:

Glad to see many geniuses around. Looking forward to becoming a helpful member of the community in the long run!

4 Likes

Hi, I'm Desmond from Papua New Guinea,
I was introduced to ODK in 2017 by a colleague but never really gave much thought about until now. I've been working as a data manager for almost a decade now and I hope some of my experiences that I can share with the community will be helpful.

Cheers,

2 Likes

Hi, I'm Ed Robinson, I live and work from South Africa and have been using ODK and various ODK based tools mostly on international development projects in underserved communities around the world.

3 Likes

Hey there!
I'm Craig, based out of Pune, India, and an ODK enthusiast/evangelist since the last 3 odd years.
I have loved seeing these tools evolve and getting better all the time. I first came across ODK in 2016 and at that time thought of it as this useful tool to "fill survey forms easily in places where network coverage is poor", but it's come so far since then!
I help different non-profits in my domain (water/agriculture) get setup to use ODK and advise their data collection campaigns. This is mostly limited to Collect, Central, and Build. I occassionally find motivation to blog about using ODK, but I haven't been able to do it regularly, writing with discipline is hard!
Besides data, I am also into everything outdoors :deciduous_tree: :smiley: :palm_tree: and love to read, especially books about how irrational the mind is!

3 Likes

salut!
je suis djamal dine djaboutouboutou. je suis béninois et je suis présentement à cotonou et je suis statisticien de formation.
j'ai entendu parler de ODK par le biais des amis. donc j'ai voulu pousser ma curiosité.

2 Likes

Hello everyone , David from county 006 .am 42yrs old

2 Likes

Hello World!
I am Newton Nyapwere from Zimbabwe. I am a GIS Developer. Been using ODK for agriculture, health and environmental data collection. Currently, am developing a form for recruitment and registration of pregnant women at health facilities that automatically calculates estimated date of delivery, number of WHO recommended antenatal visits (ANC) visits, the required ANC visit dates and required monthly savings for transport for ANC and delivery.
I love to play with the mud in the wilderness and classifying landscapes as I have spend much of my career as a Soil Scientist which later transitioned to GIS. I am a drone enthusiast. The drone is my companion in the wilderness.

5 Likes

Hey world! I'm Braton just learning about ODK mainly for a project and to gain skills.

2 Likes

I'm Samedi Amba, a developer from Tanzania. While pursuing a living, I have often found myself required to build an offline data collection system. I recently came across KoboCollect, the now ODK, I must say the future to this tool is amazing.

I'm still relatively new, but I believe I will be up to speed, given that data is the pillar of our information age.

Deploying this to one of the government ministries in our country, and I believe that the lessons learnt and the handholding accorded will take me a long way.

I'm a vegeterian, so I won't talk about food for now...

3 Likes

Hi! I'm César Argul from Spain. I'm a GIS developer and now working on the generation of cadastral surveys with ODK.

3 Likes

Hello everybody!

I am Paolo Cherubini from Italy. I have already used ODK several times for data collection campaigns in East Africa and Central America, with great satisfaction! I think there are still many potentialities to this tool left for me to know and exploit.
Hope I will be able to give back to the community in the future

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
What a huge collection of amazing people. I hope I am worthy of your company.
My name is Greg Cullen. I work at The Fred Hollows Foundation. We are a global organisation that seeks to eliminate avoidable blindness throughout the world. We advocate for the rights of indigenous Australians. I've been with The Foundation for over 15 years now.
The Foundation has asked me to trial ODK to collect data so we can research the efficiency rates of our Programs in the many countries in which we and our partners work.
Personally, I believe we are on this planet to help each other. My wife and I regularly volunteer for various community organisations. I'm an Age Manager for Nippers (Junior Surf Life Savers).
Okay, well I've bored you enough. I'm going to roll up my sleeves and take this baby for a spin.
Cheers mates.

5 Likes

Hi guys!

We are an Italian association, and want to set up a georeferenced website, where put geospaztial informations about environment, health, food, pollution, electromagnetic smog, etc..
In this moment we have activated geonode.3x1t.org (geonode based) where we have published a series of surveys of electrosmog mainly by telephone towers, all works fine but we are thinking to migrate or alongside uMap, basically because we are of the opinion that it can be easier to maintain and manage also at the user level. Geonode for his part has several interesting things very "community oriented" and this too is a remarkable tool.

In particular, we have found that people are very sensitive to environmental issues, but they are much more lazy (than sensitive) too and are not willing to collect data if this is not very very very easy to do (this is why Google is so successful in collecting all our data, and why we have facilitated it, precisely because very often OpenSource developers think as engineers and not as end users...). So we are oriented to find/develop a simple Android app, interface to ODK Collect, where the end user could produce your own measurements/surveys.

We will see what will happen, most likely we will see the Martians first of the realization of this hope, I hope at least I made you laugh :smiley:

Davide
Italy

4 Likes

Hi

I am Ali Iqbal, an Electronics Engineer by education, from Pakistan. I work for a Solar Energy Solution provider company. We undertake public sector projects and install Solar Energy Systems in Buildings, Solar Street Lights and Solar Water Pumping Machinery. For our work on sites, we used to:

• Use paper forms to fill data in on site.
  • Physically send in those forms to the head office
  • A data entry guy would fill in the excel sheet
  • Take pictures from mobile phones on site
  • Send in those pictures via google drive or whatsapp
  • transfer those pictures to computer and make a folder for that particular site
  • Make Pdf reports using that excel sheet and the relevant pictures.

Managing all that was fine when the workload and our manpower numbers were low and our operations weren't that extensive. I was expecting need for offline data collection in the company i work for a couple of years ago. I inquired about a software developer to make a system in house and did a survey of available commercial applications. A friend recommended ODK. At the time my skill set wasn't up to the mark to understand what how ODK worked as i am not a software engineer.

A couple of years down the road, in the present, the push for Solar Energy System installations has surged owing to increased public spending by the Government here. We have received projects that requires installation of these systems in thousands of establishments throughout the province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. To manage data collection (site surveys and final installation reports) from far flung remote areas by our site engineers, I have been successfully using ODK central server deployed on a digital ocean instance. The easy to use API allowed me to write scripts that selectively downloads media from the server for further processing.

The headache of managing data has been reduced and our staff can focus of the installations while the data sorting and reporting gets taken care of digitally. ODK has allowed us to streamline our data collection process and automate site reports generation for our clients for which i am really thankful for this community.

Since this is the first project in which we've been using ODK, I have noticed a few shortcomings that would be great if addressed.

1. Sometimes a form is incorrectly filled and submitted. It'd be great if an option of editing/deleting submissions was available from the API as managing that on the downloaded data is a hassle.
  2. A few of our field staff use iPhones (Second hand iPhones are as affordable as low end android phones here). An ODK collect like app for ios that works with central will be great.

I intend to learn the ODK system further for my software development journey and help with my work here.

Best Wishes to all those involved in this amazing project that has impacted us so positively.

Ali

3 Likes

Hi there! Great to read about your ODK experience!!! great post!!

about the need you have to use ODK on iphone, did you try something like an emulator? please read about it here https://www.iskysoft.com/phone-transfer/how-to-get-android-apps-on-iphone.html

Happy new year!!!
Angelo

2 Likes

Hi Angelo

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out

Happy new year!
Ali

2 Likes

Cordial saludo para todos...!!
Soy carlos Arroyave, ingeniero agropecuario, resido en Colombia Departamento de Antioquia.
Me gustaría aprender a diseñar formularios mas complejos que se adapten a la necesidad real de la situacion

3 Likes