Introduce yourself here!

Hi my name is Nader it's Equal to Rare in English
I tried ODK Collect application
and it's Perfect i like it,
in fact i Love it,
i even forget to say Hello for all of you because of it.
Application like that comes from stars.
so here i am in ODK Community (Our Galaxy)
with the Stars.

.Net Developer
Oracle Database administrator
GIS Map
Communications Systems Developer

7 Likes

Hello!
I work as a project analyst at a company in the area of Telecommunications, located in Fortaleza - Ceará - Brazil.
I use the ODK to do data collection in the field, for later elaboration of network projects in Fiber and Coaxial (FTTH and HFC).

Previously I used GisCloud.
My main goal is to make the ODK tool as good as the GisCloud tool.

Thanks for the opportunity, a big hug to everyone and everyone!

Mario Luiz Vieira
Project Analyst Multiplay Telecom

Olá!
Sou trabalho como analista de projetos em uma empresa na área de Telecomunicações, localizada em Fortaleza - Ceará - Brasil.
Utilizo o ODK para fazer coleta de dados em campo, para posterior elaboração de projetos de rede em Fibra Òptica e Coaxial (FTTH e HFC).

Anteriormente utilizava o GisCloud.
Minha principal meta é tornar a ferramenta ODK tão boa quanto a ferramenta GisCloud.

Obrigado pela oportunidade, forte abraço a todos e em cada um!

Mario Luiz Vieira
Analista de projetos Multiplay Telecom

6 Likes

Hi All,

Dave here; Currently based in the US. I do work as both a part-time teacher and independent developer. Currently I'm exploring ODK to see if it is suitable for gathering feedback on some of our programs and activities in our school. As an advocate for open-source software, proud to join the ranks of the ODK community!

7 Likes

I am from the UK, based in Addis, Ethiopia. I've been on the fringes of several projects using Kobo for data collection and am now looking at using the ODK suite for several parts of a fairly large community-based health insurance project. Over four years we'll be collecting the details of 1mn people in remote parts of Ethiopia, and every visit they make to health facilities, and the ODK suite means we can pivot at scale very quickly over very fragile connections.

I'm pretty busy at the moment but when I do get free time it's all about festivals, music and travel.

6 Likes

I am Rafael Rivera. You can call me r2 for short. I am based in the Philippines. Someone introduced me to ODK back in 2014 when we conducted survey of hotel establishments. I only learned the basics of ODK back then and did not really pay attention on making my own survey.

In 2015, we got a World Bank-funded project for Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH). The task was to develop an open-source mobile data collection tool for their infrastructure projects (e.g., road, water, flood control, buildings). By this time, I am starting to "hard code" different survey forms using Excel. My working knowledge on ODK improved vastly due to this project. We were also able to connect the ODK survey we formulated to the existing network server of DPWH. I am proud to say that we started the "open source revolution" in DPWH since they officially accepted ODK-based tools in their own IT systems.

Inspired by this project, we put up our own start-up company http://openconstruct.ph/ that focuses on developing data management systems for different organizations. We believe that we did in DPWH can be replicated to other organizations.

You can follow me @rtworivera in twitter. Aside from ODK, I am also starting to develop skills in analytics, especially on how it can be applied to transportation. I am also into cloud computing and Big Data. A big basketball fan. And I still watch WWE!

7 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Use of ODK in schools

Good day,
I am Anne Conan, I am a vet epidemiologist based in St Kitts (West Indies). I am specialized in infectious diseases in low income communities. I use ODK for project in South Africa. When I arrived at University of Pretoria in 2013 for a post-doc, the group was already using ODK for a surveillance system in cattle. I developed questionnaire and extend its used to a surveillance system in dogs.
My professional link is @ConanAnne on Twitter

7 Likes

My name is Edmund Resor. I am the coordinator for World Possible in East Africa.

We would like to consider using ODK to help teachers automate attendance and grade books and upload data to the principals in primary and secondary schools without any Internet service, but with WiFi LANs. See a later post for more information on this.

World Possible's primary work is supporting schools with offline servers with free educational content, including Khan Academy with student accounts and interactive exercises, PhET simulations, and other great stuff including all of Wikipedia in the languages of your choice. You can preview an example of the content in English which we have curated here.

I have worked off and on in East Africa and Sudan since 1974 with appropriate technology starting with hand pumps and ox-plows in the 1970s, vaccines and ORT in the 1980s, and setting up small, independent telephone companies in the 1990s and 2000s and VSAT Internet access now where needed. My focus now is back on education, rural development and peace building and cloud based accounting for local NGOs.

I have not development any applications in ODK. I hope to share ideas and get advice from people who have.

6 Likes

Hie World,

My name is Mark. I am new here and like a number of you I am not a developer by profession or make any claims to be tech sauvy.

I am a Veterinary Surgeon in Private practice and in my spare time consult on a number of developmental projects to do with public health, sustainable livelihoods in agriculture and food security.

My journey on ODK platform has begun and I sincerely hope I can transform the lives of the generation that comes after me through this great tool. My first client is my cherished university of Zimbabwe Veterinary Teaching Hospital where there is need to 'go digital the easy way', this project will be an mHealth initiative and sincerely hope that I can collaborate with some of you on this exciting journey that has already begun. Thank you to all the philanthropists of this world. (With my biggest and most Sincere African smile)

7 Likes

Hello everyone. In the past, I've been working with DoForms and GIS for the analysis of geospatial information. With QFIELD we have seen some progresses however having to create spatial layers in some mobiles makes it heavy

I'm interested in ODK on the server side. To be able to analyze diverse spatial information and with drones to correlate the information to improve agricultural production.

Ragarsa

8 Likes

My Name is Mohamed Aden, I live in Somaliland. Somaliland is bordered by Somalia to the east, Djibouti to the northwest, and Ethiopia to the south and west.
I didn't actually involve any project using ODK but naturally I like to update myself with the newest innovations in the technology regarding Data Management Tools .
I would like to join this community and work with other forum members together for the product’s improvement.

7 Likes

Hello ODK colleagues!
I am Balagopal, BG for short. I am not a techie user of ODK but a marketing analyst working for an IT outfit in Kerala, India.

I am here to find out ways to improve my ODK usage as I am involved in coming up with data collection surveys mainly in the public healthcare segment.

For starters, I would like help on removing the unwanted data fields in a barcode capture, I just want the barcode (or whatever number only) on the 2D card to be captured.

Hope to have a great time here.

7 Likes

Hello, I am Petri Kivimäki and I work as a research assistant / IT support in data collection in a project called Real Smart. I am Bachelor of Medicine but I am interested in research, programming and computer related design.

• Location: Department of Adolescent Psychiatry, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland.
  • Story: ODK was recommended for us by a researcher in National Institute for Health and Welfare, Finland - THL (https://www.thl.fi/fi/web/thlfi-en)
  • Projects: Current project only - collecting patient follow-up data on social and psychological wellbeing with psychiatric, psychological and social questionnaires.
  • Connecting/following: through Facebook https://www.facebook.com/kivimakip
  • Other things I do: I play computer games on PC/Mac
  • Fun facts: It's not funny but I am a gifted programmer and learn computer languages fast and I (have) work(ed) with awesome people currently/previously.
6 Likes

Hi friends and colleagues,

I am a basic researcher working on epidemiology of neuro-degenerative diseases. I am trying to use ODK environment to collect field data for population based diseases. I am based in Bangalore, India.

Great to be part of such a supportive community.
Cheers.

Ganesh

6 Likes

hie all users.
william mitembo is my name. i work with a research institute, we have since consulted on numerous projects in Malawi. my fist use of ODK was on a study on promoting maize striga tolerant varieties. its wonderful to be here and share knowledge and expertise.

8 Likes

Hi ODK Community,
My name is Zak Njenga Kinyanjui from Nairobi, Kenya.I am a Digital and Customer Relations intern at Tech for Development-(T4D).I was Introduced to ODK for the first time at T4D and found it very interesting.

3 Likes

Hey everyone!:grinning:

I am Smarita Sharma and I am currently doing my undergraduate studies in computer science at VIT University.

Why Open-Source and Opendatakit ?

I have always wanted to know what it feels like to work for an open source organisation and make significant contributions.

I wish to work for the betterment of the people around me and use whatever knowledge I've gained so far for the upliftment of the society. In such a case what better way to help but contribute to an open source organisation with a similar aim!

About me:

I am 20 years old and I am from India.I love coding and it is what I do most of the time :grinning:
I'm sure that with the right amount of guidance and support I can surpass all the challenges.

Some of my projects include:

A research portal for my campus where all the teachers and students can submit their research papers.The aim of this project is to promote free flow of knowledge using the power of the internet.

A Price Comparator website based on Django Framework and Python that compares cost and other features across various e-commerce websites and displays the items according to relevance and cost against each website.

I am also familiar with machine learning . My work might not be that great I know but I would be more than happy if this even remotely helps someone in need :blush:.

Profiles: Github

5 Likes

I am Poonam, a third year Computer Science undergraduate from India. And I am more than excited to start contributing to the ODK project. I have been a backend developer since 3 years, and I mostly work on Python. I have made several websites and helped in open source projects which use Django, Flask etc. Apart from that, I also have knowledge about Network Security, and I do Assembly level penetration testing in OWASP.
My non coding skills involve sketching and debating. It'll be amazing if I prove useful to the ODK community as well, and I hope I stand up to the levels of this community :slight_smile:

And most of my friends call me "Mish" :smile:

My GitHub - https://github.com/mish24

8 Likes

Hello every one,
Originally, I am from Yemen, currently, I belong to the entire world. I have interests in computer science and its involvement in other sciences such as biology & ecology as well as society and business.
I got to know about ODK from the outreachy announcement, and I would like to contribute. My background mixes between computation and education.

Nice to meet you all,
Nada

8 Likes

Hello dear ODK Community Members,
My name is Earnest Njih Tabah, a Public Health Physician, based in Cameroon and working for the National Yaws, Leishmaniasis, Leprosy and Buruli ulcer Control Program in the Ministry of Public Health.
I am a new ODK user, who first got involved with the tool in January 2017 within the framework of a project for the mapping of yaws in Cameroon, jointly carried out by LSHTM and our National Control Program. After this first project, I used the tool on two other projects within our program.
As a novice, I find the tool very interesting though I am still at the basic stage of understanding and mastering it.
Outside data collection, I do a lot of M&E, planning and supervision.
I still do not know how to download data from "repeat questions". Can someone out there help me out?

6 Likes