Introduce yourself here!

Hi, I am Mukund . I am from India. I have been involved in contributing code to the collect-code module of ODK so far. Favorite things to do is to hit the gym daily and also to code/work on diverse projects. See you around!!

8 Likes

Hi All--

I'm David McCann, typically based in Washington DC, USA! I'm interested in building things: teams, software products, and for the past year, a house (well rebuilding, technically). I got my main start in OSS for development/T4D while living in Uganda image and working for UNICEF on the RapidSMS platform. I've only recently had the opportunity to contribute to the ODK project in my role as Director of Technology for open source at the Digital Impact Alliance, and I look forward to becoming increasingly involved!

9 Likes

Hello! I'm Hélène (pronounced L-N). I've been following ODK with interest since its very beginnings at the University of Washington but I only started being actively involved in late 2016 when I joined Nafundi as CTO. Since then, I've been working on our various consulting projects and trying hard to make it easier for people new to ODK to contribute. One project I'm especially excited about is the Collect User Experience refresh that @Shobhit_Agarwal is working on this summer as part of Google Summer of Code. I'm his mentor but so far I think I've learned more from him than he has learned from me! :rocket:

You can find me on GitHub and Twitter.

I'm French-Canadian🇨🇦 but have been living in the US🇺🇸 for many years. In my off time, I like to eat, travel and sew my own clothes. To combine passions, I work on an app called Cora for keeping track of fabrics. My favorite savanna vegetarian is the warthog. :boar:

18 Likes

I'm an Associate Research Professor at U Connecticut. I study HIV prevention & treatment in sub-Saharan Africa & use ODK for multiple projects.

6 Likes

Hello. I am Clint. I've been working on ODK since 2009, as the primary developer and maintainer on Build. Around 400 commits later, somehow the tool is still alive and growing.

If you have any questions about or suggestions for ODK Build, please don't hesitate to reach out! The goal is to make Build as easy and fun to use as possible without sacrificing any core ODK functionality. If we aren't meeting that bar for you, please speak up!

8 Likes

Hi All! I'm Kate and I'm usually online as wonderchook. Chook is slang for chicken in Australian, so I'm kind of a super hero chicken.

I got interested in ODK when I was Executive Director of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team and living in Indonesia. We were looking for better ways to collect data more efficiently in low bandwidth environments. I carried my interest in ODK to my job today as CTO of Cadasta. Cadasta builds technology to help communities document their land rights. We primarily use ODK-Collect as our mobile data collection tool and then upload the data directly into Cadasta's own platform.

I'm based in the US in a little town called Winlock in Washington State. Winlock is probably best known for being home to the World's Largest Egg. I just moved here so I can't take credit for the egg.

6 Likes

Hi Am Ayoub Kakande, based in Uganda, East Africa.
I have a master's in Enterprise Architecture, been doing data management in HIV research for past 12 years.
currently am using ODK on a number of projects one of which is a CDC project establishing a birth defect surveillance in 4 busy hospitals, midwives capture data in real time for all births 24/7, they use ODK collect, I set up a local server, I have scripts that automatically back up the data every midnight on an external server, I use briefcase CLS to automatically pull data from MYSQL everyday ready to be exported into STATA, where I run QC on a daily basis.
the other project, I use ODK to map patients who need follow up.
I really luv ODK as it has not only made my life easier but the help I get the ODK community is just mwaaaa

7 Likes

Hi. My name is Sid and I'm a engineering geologist from Sweden.

I have used ODK in various projects to collect field data since 2015. I have also helped with the Swedish translation of ODK Collect.

8 Likes

Good day all,
Am Bidemi a GIS analyst working with a Utility firm in Nigeria. Am pretty new to programming... so i'll ask for help alot coz am ready to learn. Thanks

5 Likes

Hi,

I am based in South Africa. I got involved with ODK when I started doing some consulting work for a company in Durban, South Africa. They use ODK Collect to track assets.

Together with the consulting work, I also lecture on a part time basis at a small college here. I am going to be lecturing Android next semester so I will be getting more involved with ODK Collect as a side project while lecturing and will also be using Collect as a case for the class.

I am a gamer and a dad so outside of consulting, I spend most of my time with my family. Or I should say that my family takes up most of my time. I love them though, so it is cool.

6 Likes

My name is Brent Atkinson. I am currently based in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea and I work for an NGO called Medical Care Development International as a software developer. Mostly, I work on an ODK-based data collection tool supporting malaria control and malaria vaccine projects.

I have a relatively long history working with (and inevitably, on) electronic data collection tools intended to work in challenging environments. The first such tool I worked with (and later, on) was called OpenXData, which is to my knowledge now defunct, which was a mobile data collection tool similar to ODK that worked on extremely under-powered Nokia feature phones. At that time I was working as a developer on a project called Motech. The project, based in Navrongo, Ghana, sought to demonstrate empirically that mobile technology could improve maternal and child health. The technical portion, which took shape after many completed and discarded prototypes, ended up being a custom OpenMRS module that allowed community health care workers to create and manage prenatal care schedules for pregnant mothers by creating mobile forms using the OpenXData mobile client running on extremely low-cost Nokia phones. The system then would notify health care workers and mothers themselves based on their individual care schedule.

Through attempting to leverage existing tools, I was forced to address some overwhelming scale and performance issues out of necessity. As a result, I was invited to work with the existing team in Cape Town, South Africa to integrate my work during an OpenMRS and OpenRosa consortium conference. It was at this conference I met Yaw for the first time. For those not familiar with OpenRosa, it was the umbrella consortium for groups using and supporting standards largely based on the JavaRosa technology, which still serves as the core of ODK Collect today.

Since then, I have been a bit of a wandering developer. I worked as a commercial developer for a while, traveled, attended Hacker School (now Recurse Center) and then was recruited back home to again work on data collection for another health project here in EG.

When not working on my day job, I like to play and build retro games for pico-8, play and watch football (Soccer if you're confused from my silly country :wink:), and learn about as much as I can about as many things as I can. Oh, and eat spicy food (I love you West Africa!).

A fun fact: while attending Hacker School in Manhattan I developed a tool that helped myself, friends and others attend the final recordings of the Colbert Report after failing to get free tickets through the Comedy Central website and the related "easier" twitter bot, due to increased demand. It was based on a tool called selenium web driver, which is normally used to develop automated tests for web applications. It was a completely frivolous and completely satisfying use of my programming skills! My CS professors would be proud I am sure! :smiley:

Oh, and I am batkinson on GitHub.

9 Likes

Hi everyone,
Thank's for this new forum !

My name is Mikaël (pailletm on GitHub), from France and I live near Bordeaux.

Using ODK for one year in various projects to collect environnemental data. Working as IT Developer & CIO in a 50 person non-profit organization called "Conservatoire d'Espaces Naturels".
I'm translator for the french version and I'll enjoy to contribute in some dev for ODK Collect app and some discussion in this great new forum !

mikaël

4 Likes

Hi, I'm Richard Fletcher, researcher in the UK, been using ODK for about 2 or 3 years now, love the technology and the helpful community! Mostly for short event/user/audience surveys and similar, also a little with some massive medical questionnaires for the NHS. blogged about some of my work here. Let's see what the future holds... :crystal_ball:

8 Likes

Hi All,

My name is Matt Berg. I'm one of the co-founders of Ona and have been actively involved in the ICT4D space for the past decade or so. Most of the time in Africa.

I got involved in the ODK Community when our lab at Columbia University created formhub and helped establish the XLSForm spec. With a group from that lab, we've since gone on to create Ona. As a result, we work with a lot of clients who use ODK on a daily basis to help make a difference.

We're super excited by the recent community growth of the ODK Community and feel like the establishment of this forum is a really important step for that. Thanks again to Hélène and Yaw for all their work to make this possible.

In terms of fun, I have two young kids (awesome) but yep that's pretty much it.

7 Likes

Help!/Hi. I am new to GitHub and this project.

I used to work in advertising but hated it so now I am in the middle of a computing degree with the Open University in the UK but have recently finished a small project for TNS, the network company, which was a simple database product using Java.

I have put my degree on pause and am doing the Oracle Java exams as I need to earn money at the moment (and improve the world with ODK).

I looked at many projects on GitHub that use Java and ODK attracted me because there is a chance what we do will genuinely help people in less developed countries. I like the idea that software should work on budget devices as this opens up areas that would otherwise be closed to people with few resources.

I have just started working on issue #33 on Briefcase which involves trying to consolidate file extensions and mime types across all the main projects. If you have any idea where these might be set or how any settings evolved over the years (or any other information that might help such as why Collect converts all image files to jpegs) please let me know.

If you want to contact me my email is dansteward@gmail.com or here on the forum.

Cheers

Dan.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Awaafo Akantami Donald. I live in Ghana, in a small peri urban community called Sawla. I work as a CLTS facilitator (CLTS - Community Led Total Sanitation). In short, l fight open defecation and work to improve sanitation of communities in and around Sawla.

On part time, l support organisations who want to use ODK to do amazing things. I work with ODK and its alternatives such as surveycto, ona, etc.

My recent project was setting up a mobile data collection system for a World Food Programme baseline survey (ENVAC project) in Ghana using ODK and Surveycto. Follow up surveys will follow soon for the next 4 years. Am glad you are all here to support me in this project and many more to come.

5 Likes

Hi,

I am a Sr. Research Manager with a leading international development organization. I still have not done any projects on ODK but would definitely like to know more including related costs of an ODK in India

3 Likes

Oh yes, for fun, amongst other things, I play video games. I have just started Player Unknown Battlegrounds. My name there is DilettanteDan and I am rubbish at the moment; so if you see me playing, please don't shoot.

1 Like

Welcome, i do have a question if you can please look through my post. Thanks

Hi
I'm Juan Reppucci from Argentina, I´m a wildlife biolgist working on carnivore ecology and conservation. Now I´m working mainly on jaguars in Argentinean Yungas forest and in Andean and Pampas cats in the high Andes. Before that I used to work with Molina's hog nosed skunks for my graduate thesis.
I heard about ODK in a training held by Wildlife Conservation Network a few years ago. Now I´m planning a big scale sampling for jaguar presence and I would like to start using this tool.
In my spare time I like to do photography, mostly wildlife and landscape but I like any kind of photography.
Cheers

Juan

3 Likes