Introduce yourself here!

Hello everybody.
I am Justin Mumbere, I am responsible for monitoring and evaluation in a humanitarian NGO in Chad.
It is a good opportunity for me to integrate this forum and I hope that I will contribute with the little that I know

6 Likes

Dear all,
Sorry for late introduce myself.

my name Kenneth from Hong Kong. I am working in an transportation company as IT support. I am one of the counselor of PCCN (Post Crisis Counseling Network, pccn.org)

I have completed their Level 1 training and pending for field work experience. PCCN is an NGO in Hong Kong while we are targeting people mental health especially for post crisis..

I learnt about ODK is because PCCN using paper to record any evaluation / survey, after whole day of work, counselors will need to enter all the record back to computer. I am here to study if these job can be record in a professional way, which ease to counselors, supervisor and also convenience for case analysis.

I am not very well in programming so I am working on the evaluation form by using Excel. Due to data sensitive, I setup Aggregrate on Tomcat server which running on notebook, some phases were in mind for the whole deployment.

Currently I am the only one in the group who setup / develop / training and maintain the ODK thus the progress were abit slow, with great help with ODK community members, optimistic progress were making counselors happy!

I am really appreciate everyone here to helping me out, and I will also try my best to helping anyone too!

beside ODK, I have many hobbies... I like photography, 8mm video, hiking and camping. IT is part of my life and I have setup Ubuntu / Nextcloud / OnlyOffice for my family use, and also like to refurbish some old computer equipment for someone who is needed.

Thank you again!
Kent

9 Likes

Hi all,
I am Sashank Mishra, a sophomore student in Information Technology at IIIT Allahabad, India.
I am working on Android and Java from the past one year.
I am a GSoC'18 aspirant and wish to apply to the Collect App under Open Data Kit.
I already have 2 PRs going and I am amazed by such a helpful community.
Hoping to contribute a lot!

5 Likes

Hello, World!

My name is Brighton, i'm from Zimbabwe and based in Namibia. I am a software developer. I enjoy implementing information systems to improve areas of health and social welfare. I feel like i'm a superhero. Yay! I fell in love with ODK in 2016 when i was developing data collection systems for projects in Namibia, Nepal, Thailand, and Indonesia. I went on to run ODK servers for malaria elimination surveys in South Africa, Botswana, Angola, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Fun facts: I speak a little geek. I am huge supporter of open-source. I have a private server i use as my playground. I own a small amount of cryptocurrencies for the fun of it. I still don't know why I'm not on twitter. I tried (and failed) to learn sign language years back.

10 Likes

Hello, I am Rohit, currently based in India. I am a CS undergrad and android developer. I like solving problems, thinking algorithmically and following best practices. I love open source / FOSS community and want to contribute to it. Looking forward to an interesting summer.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: What kind of Android app

Hola. Me llamo Sergio Antonio Ochoa Martinez
Soy de Bolivia, Sucre

Me encanta desarrollar software, siempre desee apoyar en el desarrollo de un proyecto con una gran comunidad, porque lo aprendido quisiera enseñarlo a nuevos programadores y con las lineas de codigo se puede aportar al proyecto como es ODK.

Ahora por el momento estoy iniciando aprendiendo todo lo referido en ODK y espero que en un futuro pueda aportar mucho mas.

2 Likes

I am Paul Quek a retiree, helping out at Conservation Projects in Malaysia and India. Have been using ODK for a few years on standalone server now trying to install ODK on a hosted server. Hope to contribute to make ODK better for users.

4 Likes

Hi i am Aliyu Mamman Na'uzo.I am based in Nigeria.I am a paediatrician and a public health epidemiologist.I have been involved in a number of disease response.that where i had contact with odk. I like making things easier for others that is why i delve into learning more on it.To the experts here in this forum. i shall be disturbing you with alot of questions. I love watching movies for fun.

5 Likes

My name is Dickson from Tanzania .Since i was introduced to ODK few years ago, it has been a very useful tools that helps a lot in data collection.
We use ODK at our institute (Ifakara Health Institute) in different health related projects.

Happy to be part of this community!

6 Likes

Hello guys. I'm Hosam Abdelnaser from Egypt. A Third year computer engineering student. First of all I do not like to say I study computer science but I always say I adore computer science. In fact it is my passion to find a problem and spend days and even weeks enjoying trying to solve it.
Anyway, for me it's the first time to contribute to an open source organization so I'm very glad to have this opportunity contributing to Open Data Kit where I can put all my experience in software that help millions of people have better lives through providing social good organizations with a tool that helps them collect , organize and analyze data which they need much.
I'd like to say that I have a very good knowledge of OPP concepts, java, C, C++, and Git VCS. I also have some knowledge of HTML, CSS, Networking and computer architecture. I'm also a good android developer and here is my Github account: https://github.com/hossamnasser938 where you can find the simple projects I've made since I have become familiar with Git and Github.
Last I'd like to say my favorite hobby is reading. I also sometimes like to go for a walk forgetting everything that can stress me.
Hosam

8 Likes

Greetings.
I am Robert Serunjogi, a statistician by profession and working as a Data Manager in a CDC funded project. I have been in this field of data management since 2002. I was introduced to ODK in 2014, but the front end with just entering, pulling and exporting using ODK briefcase. I have just begun to delve deep into the design and setup of this amazing platform. I am really looking forward to learning more from this community.

4 Likes

Hello World!
This is Divyanshu Bhargava. I'm based in India. Most of the time I'm working on android development, Trying to learn and innovate new stuff.I'm a creator of an app called List it. I love working on open source projects. I'll to contribute as much as possible this summer weather I'll be selected for Gsoc or not. Will be working UI/Ux and much more. Hope we all make open source community better!

Check out my apps on playStore.
You can read my blog on Medium
You can find me on Twitter and GitHub - @divyanshub024
Happy Coding!!

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Why camelCase field names become SNAKE_CASE DB tables

Hello All,

I am Alex, a year two Computer Science student in New York. I was introduced to ODK a few months ago while doing research about HFOSS projects, and feel I'm beginning to understand the project well enough to try contributing. I also have a few questions about implementing ODK which I'm hoping I can get help with.

ODK is a broad, interesting project which poses many valuable learning opportunities for a student at my level. However, what I really find fascinating is the incredible organization that this project is maintained with.

I look forward to working with such a dedicated and knowledgeable community, and might I say, the new website is excellent!

5 Likes

Hello, Open Data Kit community!

I'm Isabel Costa, from Portugal. I'm in the final year of my master's degree in Telecommunication and Informatics Engineering and work as a part-time Android Developer.

I code mostly in Java, a bit of Kotlin, and C on my masters' thesis.
I came across ODK through the Google Summer of Code (GSoC), I'm now getting to know the project collect to see if I can contribute to the project in some way.
I would love to learn more about open source!

These are my social media links if you're interested to see what I'm up to - Github, Twitter and Medium.

6 Likes

Greetings to the ODK community. I am Matthew KOLAWOLE, a Master student in the Department of Agricultural Economics, Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife, Nigeria. I got to know about ODK in early 2017 while collecting agricultural data for a senior colleague and ever since then, i have been fascinated with it, authored several forms including the one am using for my master's project.
I still want to know more about ODK and its applicability in authoring complex survey.
Looking forward to connecting the open minded people that make up the community and learning from them.
Am glad to be here!!!

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

I'm Luana, currently living in Araras - Brazil. I've been working on mobile application development both Android native and Android and Ios hybrid using Ionic for 2+ years. I just came across ODK through Outreachy internship program (I'm applying for the summer internship). I'm getting to know the projects better and hope to start contributing very soon. I love to code and learn new things, to travel, to meet new people, to eat (to try different foods too) and to watch tv shows.
I'm very excited to be beggining my journey into the open source community. It feels good to be part of a community that through technology is helping to improve lives around the world!

6 Likes

Hi all! :wave:
I'm Marena, typically based in San Francisco, California - but I grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada :canada: I work at Mapbox on our Community team, which support non-profits and positive impact projects to build with Mapbox tools.

I started using ODK when I was doing participatory mapping projects with Indigenous and rural communities in Canada and Kenya. I have a background in community planning and land rights. I benefited from some Google Earth Outreach trainings on using ODK.

It's been a year or so since I used ODK / GeoODK but I often recommend it to other non-profits and projects that I support.

I'm at @marena_b on twitter and @marenab on github.

I look forward to engaging with the ODK community on all things geospatial/mapping - and maybe beyond too!

9 Likes

Hey @Marena -- I'm in Berkeley! Nice to see another local.

1 Like