Introduce yourself here!

Hi everyone!

I'm Luana, currently living in Araras - Brazil. I've been working on mobile application development both Android native and Android and Ios hybrid using Ionic for 2+ years. I just came across ODK through Outreachy internship program (I'm applying for the summer internship). I'm getting to know the projects better and hope to start contributing very soon. I love to code and learn new things, to travel, to meet new people, to eat (to try different foods too) and to watch tv shows.
I'm very excited to be beggining my journey into the open source community. It feels good to be part of a community that through technology is helping to improve lives around the world!

6 Likes

Hi all! :wave:
I'm Marena, typically based in San Francisco, California - but I grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada :canada: I work at Mapbox on our Community team, which support non-profits and positive impact projects to build with Mapbox tools.

I started using ODK when I was doing participatory mapping projects with Indigenous and rural communities in Canada and Kenya. I have a background in community planning and land rights. I benefited from some Google Earth Outreach trainings on using ODK.

It's been a year or so since I used ODK / GeoODK but I often recommend it to other non-profits and projects that I support.

I'm at @marena_b on twitter and @marenab on github.

I look forward to engaging with the ODK community on all things geospatial/mapping - and maybe beyond too!

9 Likes

Hey @Marena -- I'm in Berkeley! Nice to see another local.

1 Like

Hiya,
I'm Michelle. I'm based in the UK, and you can generally find me shuttling back and fore between Lancaster University (where I work) and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (where I formerly worked and have lots of collaborations). My work is mainly around (neglected) tropical diseases, and identifying areas of 'high risk' using environmental data amongst other things.

While my formal training is in analysing spatial and temporally referenced disease-related data, I've more recently delved into the world of data collection, and have run several projects in sub-Saharan Africa (Malawi & Uganda primarily, but also Ghana & Tanzania) that have involved using mobile phone data collection. Initially I started with SMS reporting, and I'm currently working on a vector surveillance project that's using ODK.

You can find out a little more about me via my website (www.focal-ntds.org) and blog (www.outofmyshell.co.uk) and you're of course very welcome to follow me on Twitter (@mappingNTDs)

Outside of work I try to flex my creative muscles either through making 'stuff' with my sewing machine or trying to make my house look a bit less like a building site. I've also recently started doing a bit of yoga to make myself a little more bendy.

I'm looking forward to becoming more involved in the ODK world!

8 Likes

Hi,
This is Nasir Ali from Pakistan. I am not programmer but a healthy user of ODK and want to learn more about it. Hope, I will learn a lot of at this forum.

Thanks

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Do you use ODK for the analysis and visualisation of data?

Hello all, I am a dentist turned data analyst, doing an MSc in Health Informatics. I was introduced to ODK during one of my modules on Telehealth.

I am using ODK for a project on the module - a pain tracker for patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis where they can record their incidences of pain and show a summarized result to their doctor during their appointments. I am struggling a bit with the visualization of data and would appreciate any tips or advice.

I will also be using ODK in my dissertation where I am creating a data collection app to be used by dentists in India while they visit rural areas in their outreach programs. I also wish to incorporate oral health education videos in the different local languages that the dentists can use during these visits.

I am originally from India, but have lived in Canada for the last 8 years. I am doing my Masters in London, UK.

I love The Beatles and I'm crazy about Harry Potter. Guess I chose the right city for my masters :wink:

10 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Ayush Mishra and i am from India. I am professionally an Electrical Engineer but my interest lies in software development, Open souce software dev and competitive programming. I look forward to contribute in ODK community for upcoming GSOC 18 .

Thank You.

6 Likes

Hi, I am Yumna from Karachi, Pakistan.
I am a Third Year student of Software Engineering, NED University.

I will be participating in the GSoC'18 for the first time. ODK is the first organization that catches my attention and bring me here.'

Mobile Application Development is my area of expertise. I have developed apps that are used to collect data using smart devices.
I am interested in ODK Collect i.e mobile app.

I used to write blogs on computer science topics, subscribe me here

Connect with me on GitHub: Yumna or find me on Twitter: Yumna_Asim

My favorite things are reading books, blogs, and programming. These three hobbies are my life-line.

6 Likes

Hello Everyone!
My name is Edidiong and because people find it very difficult to pronounce my name you can find me online as Didicodes :grin:
I'm a final year student studying computer science in Nigeria.
i got fascinated with mobile development last year when i did my Industrial training(an internship we do in Nigeria to give us an idea about the global market before graduating). Developing mobile applications has been so amazing for me that i tagged the year 2017 as one of the best years of my life because it was the year i started programming officially. i am so excited to have Open Data Kit and would apply to be an intern on GSoC 2018.
I've not used any ODK tool yet but i have read a lot about it and i have seen all its amazing impacts to the world. i cant wait to learn more about it and be an intern for ODK.

Didicodes

7 Likes

Hello, ODK community!

I'm Leonard Mulei, from Nairobi, kenya. I'm a Monitoring and Evaluation expert. I learnt about ODK through my friend. I wish to learn how to use ODK effectively in my research works. Can I get someone to guide me to learn ODK easily over here. I learn easily when I get practicals. Anyone willing to role model me please contact me via my email: Muleileonard@gmail.com

6 Likes

Hello,
I am Paul Storry, based in Bristol, England but working with the company, Quartex technologies who are based in South Africa. As a company we have been using ODK since 2015 when we stumbled across the platform when asked to assist with some construction audits.

Since then we have run numerous projects including

• Monitoring the construction of low cost housing
  • Toilet construction audits
  • Social satisfaction surveys
  • Environmental monitoring
  • Environmental audits
  • Asset management
  • Forestry stock reporting

We are ODK enthusiasts. We run our own ODK Aggregate instance with a Postgres database and have implemented our own presentation application for data validation, reporting and dashboards. We have learnt a lot over the past three years and look forward to being of assistance

8 Likes

There is an alogrithm to learn ODK and which is:

1. Read about ODK from here or from here

2. Generate your own form from here

3. Test that form on here

4. Repeat Step 1 IF GOAL != ACHIEVED

Regards,
Narendra

6 Likes

Hi all,
I am ketharan from Srilanka. I am following a Computer Science and Engineering (BSc. Eng) at university of moratuwa. I get to know the ODK community while going through the GSOC 2018 organizations. Now i am willing to work with ODK for GSOC 2018.
I am familiar with some programming languages and technologies. I am interested in data science and analytics.
You can go through my Github and you can contact me via sketharan1996@gmail.com.

5 Likes

Hi!
I'm Armen from Yerevan, Armenia, completing my 4th year of bachelor's program, studying Informatics and Applied Mathematics.I have 1 and half year experience in Android development.
I have found ODK while exploring GSoC'18 projects, and I found it very interesting project for me. I have already made a few contributions to ODK Collect and will be participating in the GSoC for the first time.

5 Likes

Hey guys~
My name is Yizheng Huang and I come from China , I'm a student from ShanDong University.
I founded ODK after I viewed all the GSoC projects 2018 and I was deeply attracted by its features,I think ODK can really do something for people and I believe it will become better and better.So I decided to devote all my spare time working on ODK whether I can be recruited by GSoC or not.

The skill set for myself include Android, Python, JavaScript and even Hackintosh.I have addressed one issue related to the JavaScript linked to the WebView interfaces recently and submitted my Pull Request.issue#1855 / PR#2060
And I also do some translations with language-zh (Chinese) in Transifex, which PR had been closed because of the conflicts with Transifex PR2022

If you guys want to know more about me ,you can visit my blog: my bolg
or visit my Github: huangyz0918
I have a puzzle game published in GooglePlay Store which I have done all the work by myself Link

Now I'm a part-time CTO in a social company which aims to improve the quality of charity in China.
And I think ODK Collect Application may be a good choice to collect data related to the living conditions of rural left-behind children in poor villages around the world.This is company website: boxfriends.

Anyway, I think it will be a precious experience to work with ODKers and GSoC 2018
Nice to meet you all !!

5 Likes

Hello ODK world!!

My name is Ngenge Senior, and I am a Cameroonian and I am also a final year Computer science student at the University of Buea. I am an Android/Python programmer as well. I am really new to ODK but I got to hear about ODK during a presentation by one of my course mates last year during Google I/O Extended organised in Buea,Cameroon. I got interested not just because ODK ran along my lines of development but because it is really a cool solution for remote parts of the world. My greatest wish is contributing in one way or the other to the community. Thanks

6 Likes

Hello everyone!
I am Aayushi NIgam, a sophomore from India. I am interested in Android App Development and have an intermediate level of experience in creating mobile apps.
I have recently come to know about this community while going through the projects list for Outreachy.
I liked the idea of ODK Collect and wish to work on it as in intern for Outreachy program. Looking forward to getting involved with the community and honig my skills.

6 Likes

Hi every body, my name is Mohamed Dicko alias Med and from Mali, and for whon forgot Mali, it's the country where we can find Tombouctou and Djenné, old town and sites of University of Muslim studies! So i am using the ODK since 2 years throught my job, am working as Monitoring and Evaluation in various project.

Thanks to all for their contributions and us frenchspeakers, want a forum in french!!!
Thanks ! i am here to learn not to contribute !!!

7 Likes

Hello. I am Maxwell. I work with an NGO and based in Nigeria. As a program manager for program quality, I have deliverable that require the use of ODK on daily basis. Outside work, I love sports especially football and table tennis.

7 Likes