Introduce yourself here!

Hello Everyone !
My name Pinan from Cambodia. I'm looking for new knowledge and experience from ODK Forum.

7 Likes

Hi,

I’m based in Canada. I have completed a Java course and was looking for an opportunity to practise my skills. ODK sounds like a great place to do that and add something positive to the world. This is my first time trying to contribute to an open source project. I’ve started a little portfolio of mine on https://github.com/hc02ca.

I like to hike, perhaps that’s because I live in Canada and there is a lot of parks.

Hsiu-Ling

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

I'm Chris and I'm a software engineer based with the a UK non-profit called Statistics for Sustainable Development. We work with projects around the world, often in the capacity of Research Methods Support or M&E. We adopted ODK into the core of our ecosystem a number of years back and since then have continued to build and develop our knowledge to share with our partners. Most recently I've been tasked with creating lots of standalone android and web apps that help to integrate the collection of data with methods to feedback information (most often to farmers). I'm keen to see how the recent developments in ODK 2.0 might be of use within our set of tools and support the projects we work with.

8 Likes

Hi,

I am Raghu Mittal, currently working at Digital Innovation Lab, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIM Bangalore). At the lab, we work on building technology for social impact. I am leading the tech team here, and working on some very interesting projects. Recently, I created a proof-of-concept using block-chains and in a current project, I am working on machine learning and data science. In my previous company (Handsrel), we had a data collection platform and we used a modified version of ODK-Collect as our android client.

For some time now (almost 1.5 years), I have not been actively working on ODK, but recently, our funder requested an interesting feature in our data-collection app and I did an implementation for them. That feature is - building an auto-gps feature inside a form, so that the GPS coordinates are collected automatically while the form is being filled.

Having built it on our own fork of ODK Collect, I would like to contribute this feature to the Open source community. In that regard, I will soon be opening a ticket for discussion. Happy to hear from others, their suggestions and comments.

10 Likes

Hello there. I have been asked to "introduce myself" and I assume this is where I do it. In any case, I'm a new ODK developer trying to get it to work in Cambodia for a monitoring survey that we do out in the provinces where there is no internet connectivity. It seems this technology is a good fit for us. That's it!

5 Likes

Hello World,

My name is Baha Hellali and I have been working with ODK tools in Afghanistan since 2010. I have used ODKAggregate, ODKCollect, FormHub, KoboToolbox for several humanitarian projects collecting data from remote corners of the country using ODKCollect.

Anyone else in the community working in Afghanistan?

6 Likes

Greetings from London, where I am currently based. I am a physician and a PhD student at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I am interested in global health, infectious diseases, and all things microbial! My current research involves Female Genital Schistosomiasis in Zambia. I am currently developing field work questionnaires using ODK and came across the ODK community.

Outside of research and data collection I love to explore the world on two feet (or a bike). I make time for travel, food, family, and friends.

Looking forward to collaborating!
Amy

7 Likes

Hi. My name is Russ Klein. I am Director of Innovation and Research at Sensi Tech Hub in Freetown Sierra Leone (www.sensi-sl.org), a non-profit organization serving as the only co-working space and promoter for entrepreneurship in one of the poorest countries on Earth. I have recently "inherited" responsibility for a fork of ODK which has been customized to collect education history data about the youth population in rural parts of this country and elsewhere in Sub-Saharan Africa, where there is often no Internet connectivity.

I am a software engineer but I have never before worked with ODK. Some of my data collection workers in the field have reported a few problems with the implementation and I am looking to hire a short-term contractor who can take a look at the configuration and the code and help correct the problems. We are not trying to do anything fancy, just use the basic functionality native to the ODK platform. I will post the TOR separately in the correct section of this forum but welcome any offers from anyone here who has interest and expertise.

Thank you!

7 Likes

Hi! I'm from Guatemala. I've been using ODK since a couple of years ago for monitoring and evaluation of sustainable development projects with small coffee producers, but recently I found this forum :sweat_smile: . I wish I had found it before. Anyone else here is from Guatemala?.

Hola! Soy de Guatemala. He usado ODK desde hace un par de años para monitoreo y evaluación de proyectos de desarrollo sostenible con pequeños productores de café, pero recién encontré este foro. :sweat_smile: . Ojalá lo hubiera encontrado antes. Hay alguien más aquí de Guatemala?

6 Likes

Hi All,

This is Venka based in Japan. Have been doing several trainings for field data collection using ODK in
Japan, India and Thailand.

Hope to contribute something back to this community.

Best

Venka

6 Likes

Hello Colleagues,
I'm Maximilian from Nigeria. I've been using ODK for over a year now, especially for surveys and outbreak responses in Nigeria. It's really a wonderful tool to use. I came across this forum while looking for answers to questions on particular aspects of xls forms that have been bugging me for a while. I hope to learn a lot from everyone in this forum

6 Likes

Hey

I'm Anova from India. I am currently working with a non-profit in Pune that works on sanitation infrastructure in urban informal settlements. They were already using KoboToolbox but without realising its extended funtionalities using XLSForm code. I have just started tinkering with the forms to introduce certain codes to make them a little more efficient and have frequent questions about functionalities that we need. Hope we get the help we need here. Expecting to learn a lot from here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Sanitation projects in India

Hi,

I am Data Processing Manager at research agency in Myanmar.

6 Likes

Hi My name is Keith Gray and I am based in the UK. I have just started using ODK to help us collect data for a research project on dementia in Tanzania.

7 Likes

Hello,
I'm Jesse in Dallas, Texas, USA. I work at a non-profit that partners with researchers collecting data to measure food insecurity across the local area. The research team selected ODK to gather and build data reports from multiple locations using tablets. In the near future, the responsibility of managing data collection will transition to the non-profit so I'm excited to learn from those who have experience with the product and complimentary software and vendors. I look forward to learning from you all.

7 Likes

Team,
My name is Oyier from Kenya.
Im a lecturer and use ODK to design surveys
Glad to join you

6 Likes

Hello all ODK Forum members,

I am Tadeo Cwierz, typically based in Costa Rica :costa_rica: and original from Argentina :argentina:.

I have been involved in agriculture related data collection projects in the past but new in ODK.

Happy to become part of ODK community

Tadeo

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sanitation projects in India

Hi,

My name is Matt Weatherford and I work at a social science research center https://csde.washington.edu housed within the college of Arts and Sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle, WA.

I've been a systems guy most of my career, but have a formal Computer Science background. I like to fiddle around with complex hardware and software systems - preferably in interdisciplinary teams of smart people that like to bounce ideas and theories around and think out loud.

Im brand new to the ODK world - my only exposure to it being through a couple of amazing colleagues ( Paul Macharia and Matt Dunbar ) who are working on an in-the-field data collection project in Kenya.

Paul runs ODK servers there and I'll be working on providing a back-up ODK server at the UW to fail over to in case of unforseen issues in-country. I intend to try the gumroot odk OVM virtual machine template - will be importing it in to our VMware ESXi environment.

Im generally a unix person - I started out working on the old SunOS systems back in the 1990's and eventually migrated to Solaris. In 2000 I converted myself to a linux guy and am most familiar with Debian Linux - we run lots of production debian. Latest projects have included cross-institution federated login with shibboleth/incommon, rstudio servers, linux-> google drive integration, and others.

Lastly, it is amazingly great to see all the interesting & world changing work people are doing with the ODK platform - what a force for good!

-Matt

7 Likes