Introduce yourself here!

Hi All

I am Boniventure Mchomvu from Tanzania
I get to know ODK 6 years back because it was open source and easy to use. I and colleagues we used it fir fisheries data collection here in Tanzania and find it useful and friendly

I am looking forward to being a part in the conversation.[quote="opendatakit, post:1, topic:6671, full:true"]
Open Data Kit brings together people from around the world and across disciplines. Let’s get to know each other a bit better!

2 Likes

Hey friends-

My name is Matt Crum and I'm based in Nashville, USA with United Methodist Communications. I've worked on ODK projects in a dozen or so countries primarily in Africa between UMCOM and my prior org Inveneo.
I appreciate the ODK community and all the work that gets put into such an important project!

Cheers.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone !!
I'm based in India and I'm pursuing my BTech 3rd year in IT field from IIIT-A. I've started my open-source contributions from ODK only so it feels good to be a part of this community.

I have made many little contributions to ODK Collect, ODK-share(which is in its prior stage) and many more. Now currently, I am working on ODK-X Notifications (contains skunkworks-parrot and skunkworks-bat) under the GSoC summer internship programme. So by this time, most of the work has been done already on ODK-X Notifications therefore soon I will be posting a demo for the same on this forum. Hoping to get positive feedback from the community.

4 Likes

Thanks, I am Jovit Felix, from Tanzania, East Africa. I am working with a Non-profit Organization known as Savannas Forever Tanzania. I have been doing survey coding for some years with another software. I am new with XLS forms, currently I am coding by using Survey 123 which is originally from ODK. I have chose to join this forum because I found it very active when I was looking some solutions online, also Survey 123 is completely ODK.

Thanks

3 Likes

Hi! My name is Kit and I'm a Canadian working abroad in India. I found ODK while searching for a survey tool for a yield improvement project with rural farmers. Since then, we've been carrying out all our projects with ODK! I am really impressed with the community and would love to get involved further.

Outside of data collection, I am a very typical Canadian -- I love skiing, hiking, canoeing, and running half-marathons. Unfortunately it's monsoon here in India so I haven't been doing any of my favourite sports, just drinking lots of chai and watching Hindi films. My new favourite is Gully Boy, which is about breakthrough rap in the slums of Mumbai. Killer good :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Hi, I'm Dan from the Northern Territory in Australia. I work in the NT government as a Remote Sensing Scientist in a rangeland monitoring capacity. My job is to use spatial science/technology to assess the condition of pastoral leases (i.e. cattle stations) and integrate it with the on-ground monitoring done by our field officers. I have a background in environmental science and have worked previously in academia and private industry (mining). In my spare time, I average about 60-70 km of running a week and enjoy fishing and camping when the opportunity presents.

My foray into ODK started when we decided to replace our previous field data collection system (iPads and 'Numbers' spreadsheets) with Samsung tablets and ODK. We have 8 field officers across the NT who collect monitoring data from approx. 30 properties and several hundred sites each year. I have designed the forms and written Python code to convert the CSV data into a format to upload into our rangeland monitoring database. Our field officers have been gradually transitioning from the old system to ODK, and are having good things to say about it so far.

7 Likes

Hi ODK Community. My name is Jaime Calderón and I'm based in Puerto Rico.
I got involved with the ODK community looking for an open source APP for field data collection. I'm a psychologist working with a disaster mental health team. Two years ago, Puerto Rico was stroke by two devastating hurricanes; now we are interested in making a voluntary census or registry of vulnerable people who will need assistance in future emergencies. Reading about ODK I think this is the kind of tool we need. I hope learning about ODK will help us. To know more about this project visit our webpage http://proyectopatria.uprrp.edu.

5 Likes

Hi all,

I'm Meg from the USA! I work in humanitarian aid and have just started using ODK for survey data collection. I'm currently working in Bangladesh.

I am an avid hiker and love to spend time outside!

Cheers,
Meg

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Aggregate not working

My Name is Benjamin Mkandawire from Malawi currently working with GIZ Malawi based in the Ministry of Finance where am supporting the implementation of the Malawi National Social Support Programme.

I started using ODK suite in 2016 till now, we use ODK mainly to collect data for the ultra poor which is housed in the Unified Beneficiary Registry (UBR) and also support other data collection interventions.

6 Likes

Hi everyone.

My name is Jorge Liber Saltijeral, i am from Mexico City and i got involve with ODK using Kobo toolbox.

I discovered this powerfull tool and im in love with it.

Iam involve with agricultural topics and i used kobotoolbox and ODK for the first time, one year ago to estimate food production in a Globally Important Agricultural Heritage systems) (GIAHS) call "chinampa" (see a video) plased in Mexico City colaborating with FAO.

Now a days, i am using ODK and Kobotoolbox for a Honey bees proyect with enviroment ministry of Mexico City.

I love to read poetry, mushrooms, and outdoor activities.

I hope to share a lot of information.

6 Likes

Hi all,
I am Kristyna and I work as a Project & Support Coordinator in one of the biggest independent soft fruit growing companies in the UK. We're based in Herefordshire, UK. We have started using ODK sometime last year for simple forms in instances where we could get rid of the paper forms. It has since grown and we're utilizing it more and more.
Me and my team are really interesting in making ODK our tool and customizing the UI, to make it more user friendly. And that's what we're working on now.

Otherwise, I enjoy sport activities like skiing, surfing, mtbiking, even though I am not really good at them.

5 Likes

I'm Ned, a web application developer at Penn State University. Mostly I develop in asp.net mvc (C#, Razor, Javascript) and T-SQL. But we have a faculty member here who wants to use OpenDataKit to implement a survey project in Africa and I'm tasked with setting up the Endpoint server (and likely maintaining it in the future). I'm brand new to ODK and Docker, and have some decade old experience with Linux, but I love to learn (and re-learn) new things.

6 Likes

I am Bharat based in Canada and working for the project where survey I need to do.
I am new to ODK. I am having experience in database maintenance & Front-end application design.

4 Likes

Hey guys! It is Rishabh Jain here, here to learn and contribute.
I've used ODK quite a few times. I learnt android app development and am looking after real life project to work upon.

4 Likes

Hello everyone,
I just asked a user to come here and I realize I've never done it myself :shushing_face:

I am based in Montpellier in the south of France.
Since 2003, I work as a database manager in a French conservation NGO called "Conservatoire d'Espaces Naturels".
I have 30 colleagues and 20 of them collect a lot of field data on species, habitats, environmental parameters ... @nathalie_H work with me and I had the chance to supervise @Jeanb during his study period.
At the national level, our network employs 1000 people.

@Remyclement introduced ODk in 2014 or 2015 and in 2016 we worked together to adapt a form to our internal web tool (sicen)

After 2 days of work, the form was correct and became the main gateway for field data in our information system.

ODK is particularly interesting because of its ability to easily create interfaces for many needs or situations and its integration with PostgreSQL, which is at the heart of everything in our GIS.
Over the next few months, I plan to demonstrate that we can create a complete system "collect, analyze and share" "without development" based on ODK and Redash (http://getredash.io).
When I can I try to present ODK to other colleagues at local or national level.
Since 2017, @Remy_CLEMENT and I give a course about how to collect data with ODK and how to get data in their own information system to other french nature conservation bodies.

I try to share some work here : http://www.si.cenlr.org and http://sig.cenlr.org in the past.

When I'm not at work, I like running, forging and working wood. I am a member of georezo, the french geomatics portal.

4 Likes

Hi, I am Riaan. I am from Cape Town, South Africa.
I am fairly new to ODK.
I haven't been involved in any ODK projects yet, but currently need to work on an existing project, but only getting the data from the project to use on another platform to visually display the information differently and only for certain users.

I write a lot, and currently busy writing my first novels (about 3 books) and also trying to publish my first book on Amazon. It will be a poetry book.
[insert your own fun fact here]

3 Likes

Glad to meet the creator himself.

2 Likes

Hi, I am Simone from Germany.
I just started using ODK because it is open source and it seems to be easy to handle.

3 Likes

Hi guys!

I am James Omutsani from Kenya currently leading the implementation of the DHIS2 Community globally.

I have been working in the NGO world (Health Sector) for over 6 years supporting data management solutions for research projects covering different health areas (FP, HIV, WASH, MNCH, etc) supporting various countries using Information Systems that the user/ project requires (DHIS2, ODK, REDCap, Open MRS, ++).
I am so passionate when it comes to travelling, and finding solutions to data management and system issues

Glad to see the massive improvements made to the ODK and I can't wait to see what else you have in store!

4 Likes