Introduce yourself here!

Hello, Max here. I work in product development, on design and specifications for technologies in international development. Tangential to that work, over time I've built up some capacity in Commcare and SurveyCTO. A company I advise in this space is using more ODK as part of their stack and so I'm working on familiarising myself so I can be more helpful on this front! Looking forward to learning and leveraging the knowledge of others!

1 Like

Hi @Diego!
We're using ODK to monitor sea turtles in Western Australia. Are there any online resources where I could learn what/how you are using ODK in turtle monitoring? Happy to chat/share/learn!
Cheers,
Florian

Hi,

My name is Amit and I am from India :india:. I am working on social research project from last couple of years. During paper base survey I come to know about online survey. I tested few platform but ODK is much more user friendly, fast to develop a form, and easy to modify for any correction at any time during the survey and/or during project implementation period. I have been using ODK from last two years. I am not a hard core coder but like to learn about it gradually. Apart from work I like to spend time in gardening.

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Cyril and I work as a programmer analyst at SagaciResearch. SagaciResearch conducts market investigations in Africa.

2 Likes

Hi all, my name is Bjorn. I am a researcher based in Belgium but mostly working with smallholder farmers in Uganda. We use ODK to collect data and also to show videos to farmers on how they can improve maize yields. I love all things open source! You can find more info about the projects I am involved in on:

3 Likes

Hi All,
I am Wayne from Barbados. I work for a service company and I've been looking for ways to mobilize our technicians. ODK was one of the many on-line tools I found when researching available solutions.
While we ended up using another tool, I wanted to learn more about ODK, mainly to improve my knowledge of Linux, docker and open source in general.
This is sort of my continuing education, hopefully, I'll learn enough in time to help other new comers.

Regards

2 Likes

Hi, I'm David Wright, based in Cambridge UK, and it recently struck me that I'll need something to occupy me in my overdue retirement years.

Mostly from learning about Aadhaar I got the feeling that there might be something worthwhile going on in coding to help (to be blunt) poor countries. Eventually tripped over ODK, that Collect was an Android app helped me take the plunge.

For all that I'm rich in years, I'm poor in experience of any but fairly simple-minded development such as resulted in http://superficial.sourceforge.net. With literally zero experience of collaborative coding, trying to establish myself as a contributor to a serious open-source project seems an interesting challenge.

4 Likes

Hello! I am Carlos Quiros. I am from Costa Rica and I work for the Alliance Bioversity-CIAT, one of the CGIAR centers dedicated to agricultural research.

I have been involved with ODK since 2013 in the areas of data processing and data management. One of the main challenges CGIAR centers face in data management is how to centralize data while decentralizing collection, access, and management. For example, how to collect data all over Kenya, while the data cleaning happens in the UK and analysis happens all over the world? How to keep track of changes and versioning to achieve transparency and replicability of scientific outputs?

So, for the past 8 years I have been involved in creating and maintaining different tools for processing ODK forms and submissions. One of them is ODK Tools which is an open-source toolbox for parsing ODK Forms into arbitrary schemas in MySQL and normalizing/de-normalizing XML data submissions into/from database tables. I am also the creator and maintainer of FormShare. FormShare is an advanced open-source data management platform for ODK data collection that uses ODK Tools and other technologies to centralize data while decentralizing management.

You can find me on Github and LinkedIn.

6 Likes

Hi I am Nitheesh from India.
I got involved with the ODK community for a company project.
ODK projects I have been involved - ODK Central

2 Likes

Hi everyone

My name is Issaka from Niger. I am working in the field of Agricultural Statistics. This year our organization will be using, for the first time, ODK to collect agricultural data at the nationwide scale. It will be an interesting and exciting experience. We have been collecting data on PAPI for decades.
We have received a training on how to build forms and how to manage data. I am happy to be on this forum and hope to interact with many users of ODK and share experience.
Thanks

6 Likes

Hello,

My name is Stéphane Decelles. I'm a research coordinator at the Université De Montréal, in Canada. I'm using ODK to collect data in First Nations communities throughout the country. I am very happy with the ODK software and am looking forward to using it! Many thanks to those who contributed to building and improving this very important tool.

5 Likes

hello world!
My name is Misheck Dube from Zimbabwe. l am a second year student at Lupane state university studying Development studies. Well this is my first time using ODK but l've have heard about it from certain organisations that are using it for data collection.

5 Likes

It's good to meet you here Doc.

Bonjour à tous.
Je suis LAUBET Martial et je suis ivoirien.
Je suis un novice dans la gestion des données avec le système de ODK et je constate avec joie le fabuleux outil qu'il représente et la grande communauté qui la compose. Je suis à la base ingénieur Telecoms mais je suis tombé amoureux, après mes études, des bases de données. Mon anglais est mauvais et presque inexistant mais je vais l'améliorer afin de m'intégrer.
C'est assez difficile vu que toute la documentation est en anglais et la traduction (à mon avis) fait disparaître beaucoup de détails assez important. J'espère donc apprendre d'avantages avec tous et profiter de votre indulgence. Pour moi les heures de travail sont sans limite quand je veux apprendre alors je suis super ouvert et hyper mobile. Je suis présent sur facebook et sur instagram
Je suis assez bien coaché ​​par M. Aurelio, qui je crois, est l'un des contributeurs principaux de ODK.
Merci

3 Likes

Dear ODK community!

My name is Vitus and I work at a sustainability consultancy where I have been using ODK Aggregate/Central and Enketo in a variety of projects to over the last year. I am really excited about the vibrant community and the progressing development. I hope that I can contribute in one way or the other, at some point maybe even code!

Best,
Vitus

4 Likes

Hello everybody,
I am Ekin and I am working at the STPH in Basel as a Web Developer. I have came into touch with ODK through @aurdipas and I would like dive a little bit more into it. I think ODK is a great project with an interesting community and it would be nice to be able to contribute one day.

Cheers,
Ekin

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Collin and I'm based out of Washington DC. I recently joined an organization that uses ODK to collect data on emerging infectious diseases and am hoping to become an ODK expert over the next couple of months. I've worked on data collection projects that range from monitoring emerging infectious diseases to surveying pollinators in agricultural landscapes to cataloging type specimens.

Website
Twitter

2 Likes

Hi everybody,

My name is Leo! I'm based in Chiang Mai, Thailand at the moment on a Fulbright research grant. I am currently using ODK to collect data in my work with a local community organization on healthcare access and land rights issues for highland ethnic minority peoples. I've previously used kobocollect when working on projects regarding migrant workers rights, ethical labour recruitment, and anti-trafficking in the greater Bangkok area.

2 Likes

Hola a todos
Me llamo Juan Guillermo, vivo en Bogotá - Colombia soy Ingeniero Electrónico y actualmente estoy desarrollando un proyecto con ODK

2 Likes

Hi there everyone. My name is Daniel Persaud. I am now working to configure an ODK data collection solution for my place of work. I am using an internal Ubuntu Server 20.4 which will have an ODK Central Server configured to work in coordination with the ODK collection mobile application.

2 Likes