iOS version of ODK Clinic

Hi all,

Partners In Health has been working with developers from EMC to identify areas where they might be able to volunteer programming time in support of OpenMRS. One developer, Shameel Abdulla (copied), has experience with Objective C, and was wondering if an iOS version of ODK Clinic would be useful. I just pinged the OpenMRS developers list, and it seems like a number of people would be interested in seeing this happen.

Have any of you been thinking of doing something similar? Any work underway currently?

Thanks,

Evan Waters
Implementation Manager, Medical Informatics
Partners In Health

hi evan,

long time, no chat. i've been at ampath in kenya over the last few
weeks and i can safely say that there is broad interest in phone and
tablet-based applications for entering encounter forms and reviewing
clinical data (both raw obs like clinic 1.0 and patient summaries like
clinic 2.0).

i think ios will likely be easier to use for the clinicians, but it'll
be hard to compete with the variety in the android ecosystem. it'll be
the practical and logistical things that'll get you. if you go with an
ipad, it won't fit in a lab coat. if you go with a iphone, you'll find
that some of your older clinicians will ask for something slightly
bigger. if you need rapid releases, the app store might not work for
you and the apple enterprise setup might be too expensive. if you need
in-country maintenance, most of your local devs will have no mac
hardware or experience with obj-c. replacing batteries after power
fluctuations kills them will be unpleasant. the list goes on and on.
the bottom line is that i think ios is great (heavy iphone and ipad
user here!), but there are tradeoffs you'll need to make and it's nice
to have that mapped out so you know exactly what you are gaining or
loosing.

one approach worth exploring is pushing most of this functionality
into the browser so the system is more device agnostic. this approach
also fits with what the odk (and openrosa) community has been
exploring as the future of such information systems and so you'd also
get some community support.

yaw

··· On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 22:27, Evan Waters wrote: > Hi all, > > Partners In Health has been working with developers from EMC to identify areas where they might be able to volunteer programming time in support of OpenMRS. One developer, Shameel Abdulla (copied), has experience with Objective C, and was wondering if an iOS version of ODK Clinic would be useful. I just pinged the OpenMRS developers list, and it seems like a number of people would be interested in seeing this happen. > > Have any of you been thinking of doing something similar? Any work underway currently? > > Thanks, > > Evan Waters > Implementation Manager, Medical Informatics > Partners In Health > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Thanks Yaw, this is great feedback. Your points on the limitations of the
hardware (too big or too small, until the 7" iPad comes out) and app store
that would come with Apple Products are well taken. If we are going to use
ODK, it's definitely possible we'd choose Android as the platform because of
this.

there is some interest in the OpenMRS community of using ODK on an iOS
device. Your idea of pushing the functionality to the browser is good, it
would definitely be easier to support across platforms. Has anyone gotten
started on something like this, or would it need to be started from scratch?

We're still just talking to the volunteers here to find projects they'd be
interested in, so I'm not sure how much would actually be able to get done,
but it would be nice to see something happen!

Hope Eldoret is treating you well.

Evan

··· From my brief survey of the OpenMRS Developers list though, it seems like

there are two odk-compatible ios clients i know about.

ocrosa - a static library that conforms to the openrosa spec
https://github.com/mikewillekes/ocRosa

viewworld - a end-to-end data collection system that builds on odk tools
http://www.viewworld.dk/features

··· On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 23:26, evan waters wrote: > Thanks Yaw, this is great feedback. Your points on the limitations of the > hardware (too big or too small, until the 7" iPad comes out) and app store > that would come with Apple Products are well taken. If we are going to use > ODK, it's definitely possible we'd choose Android as the platform because of > this. > From my brief survey of the OpenMRS Developers list though, it seems like > there is some interest in the OpenMRS community of using ODK on an iOS > device. Your idea of pushing the functionality to the browser is good, it > would definitely be easier to support across platforms. Has anyone gotten > started on something like this, or would it need to be started from scratch? > > We're still just talking to the volunteers here to find projects they'd be > interested in, so I'm not sure how much would actually be able to get done, > but it would be nice to see something happen! > Hope Eldoret is treating you well. > Evan > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >

Thanks, Yaw. I'll forward these links on to the volunteer and
encourage him to look there as a starting point. Will let you know if
anything comes of this.

Best,

Evan

··· On Jun 16, 12:10 am, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > there are two odk-compatible ios clients i know about. > > ocrosa - a static library that conforms to the openrosa spechttps://github.com/mikewillekes/ocRosa > > viewworld - a end-to-end data collection system that builds on odk toolshttp://www.viewworld.dk/features > > > > > > > > On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 23:26, evan waters wrote: > > Thanks Yaw, this is great feedback. Your points on the limitations of the > > hardware (too big or too small, until the 7" iPad comes out) and app store > > that would come with Apple Products are well taken. If we are going to use > > ODK, it's definitely possible we'd choose Android as the platform because of > > this. > > From my brief survey of the OpenMRS Developers list though, it seems like > > there is some interest in the OpenMRS community of using ODK on an iOS > > device. Your idea of pushing the functionality to the browser is good, it > > would definitely be easier to support across platforms. Has anyone gotten > > started on something like this, or would it need to be started from scratch? > > > We're still just talking to the volunteers here to find projects they'd be > > interested in, so I'm not sure how much would actually be able to get done, > > but it would be nice to see something happen! > > Hope Eldoret is treating you well. > > Evan > > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options:http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en