iOS version of ODK Collect

We are developing a different solution from that proposed by @Xiphware.

There are overlaps in the sense that both of our projects are looking for compatibility with the odk collect, xforms and such. But other than that we are completely independent efforts.

@Daniel_SalazarR @Xiphware any update in either of your projects? :slightly_smiling_face:

So I presented an update/overview of iXForms/GoMobile at the recent ODK Convening in Seattle. Slide-deck posted here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fGYGolOifnenqDEJPaKegBLaK6siraEZ/view

Status of iXForms - the open source iOS version - is that I'm still in process of porting the original prototype to Swift and a new Realm + Eureka framework (from Objective-C + fmdb + XLForm). It can fetch forms and submit to ODK Aggregate (OpenRosa), ODK Central (REST), and KoboToolbox (OpenRosa). But the new codebase isnt quite ready for public consumption just yet, and there's still a number of (not-insignificant) unsupported ODK features; see last slide. But hopefully the slides will give a sense of what to expect. :slight_smile: [FYI this all is being done in my spare time, when I'm not mowing lawns or chasing a 4 year-old...]

4 Likes

@Xiphware thank you for the update! Looks like you're getting quite close to a usable tool, it's exciting :slight_smile: Thanks for the hard work!

Thnx for your encouragement. It’s most certainly a ‘labor of love’... :wink:

1 Like

It looks like SurveyCTO released an iOS version of their app. I imagine that means they developed their own JavaRosa for iOS? Of course, they are closed source... :roll_eyes:

They leveraged multi-os engine to use the existing Java library and most of the Android code.

@Grzesiek2010, @seadowg this relates to your conversation about Kotlin multiplatform.

1 Like

I wonder if Esri did the same with their iOS Survey123 version, or re-implemented the core in native iOS... (again, closed source so we may never know)

Hello Daniel
Thank you for your
I woudn t mind to work in Beta version, do you know if a public version is available now?
Aline Philibert associate pro. at the uni. of Quebec in Montreal

Hi Aline,

My company is also developing a solution (there is a public version) that is compatible with ODK collect and xforms. Please PM me for more details.

1 Like

I think it's all web technologies and that they don't (directly) use any native components so it's the same app for both. I used to think that they wrapped Enketo but @martijnr says that they re-implemented their own engine.

1 Like

They do both. Mobile apps (native or something that builds to native) and web client (enketo).

1 Like

Hi,

You can find our version in the apple store, it has been there for a few months. It's a work in progress, a lot of forms do work, lot of the functionality works, but we do find issues with some cases. We fix those issues as soon as we find them or receive notification. We are also working on memory and speed optimizations right now for very large forms.

If you try it and find any issues please let me know and we'll fix it asap. We're releasing a new version every month.

2 Likes

In the next few months, we will start developing the iOS version of our security-focused data-collection app. The Android version supports ODK and it will be really important for us to ensure that the iOS version also supports it. This will likely to be native.

Rather than duplicating the work, we would love to build on what others have already started (and, why not, collaboratively develop a library that can be used by other teams). I'd love to hear how other teams have been faring on this @Daniel_SalazarR @Christina @Xiphware

2 Likes

We've got a team who are exclusively on Apple devices and we'd be happy to beta test any ODK Central compatible iOS clients. Our forms are pretty plain, just some geopoints, photos and other simple field types.

Thnx for the offer. If you can flick me a couple of your forms I'll see how well they 'behave', in my current beta... :wink:

Sweet, I'll ask my colleagues and get a few forms to you!

Ta! (I'm actually getting a little tired of staring at @LN's all-widgets... :smile:)

2 Likes

Hi yaw,

Our data collection happens on the personal phones of our staff. In this part of the world, a second hand ios phone (older models) are quite cheap and some of our field staff own those. For now, they are using the borrowed android phones. . it is a hassle.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Kopo and ODK have the same tool