Is anyone able to help with this

I only have around 3 weeks experience with this and have written this
collection, it varifies ok and uploads. when I run it it gets as far as
con_resp and then goes straight to title1, then to finish and end. No
matter what responses have been made to the questions previous to con_resp.
As you will see from the XML it is supposed to filter it's way through the
rest of the questionnaire depending on the answers given.
oddly the vast majority of this collection is cut from others I have
written which work perfectly it all seemed to go wrong once I introduced
groups into the mix
I suspect that this will be easier to do in Excel but I just can't get my
head round how to do it in Excel.
Any help will be greatfully accepted and if anyone can convert it to Excel
that would be great as I will be able to see what it looks like and as I
know exactly what it is supposed to be doing it will be easier to work out
the Excel format.
thanks in anticipation

Full Interview 9.xml (51.3 KB)

Hi Graham,
It sounds like you might be having a problem with your relevance formulas.
A couple things I noticed about your xform are:

1. You aren't using the "selected" function for select data. For example,
    you are using expressions like /data/con_resp ='4' rather than
    'selected(/data/con_resp, '4'). I think both approaches might work for
    select1s, but I'm not 100% sure, so I recommend using selected function to
    be safe.
  2. Your logical formula (e.g. A or B and C) are not grouped by parenthesis.
    Using "(A or B) and C" or "A or (B and C)" will help ensure your logical
    operators have the precedence you intended.
    If you wish to switch to Excel forms there is a design guide available
    here: http://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/xlsform/
    Best Regards,
    -Nathan
··· On Friday, October 26, 2012 8:31:40 AM UTC-7, Graham wrote: > > I only have around 3 weeks experience with this and have written this > collection, it varifies ok and uploads. when I run it it gets as far as > con_resp and then goes straight to title1, then to finish and end. No > matter what responses have been made to the questions previous to con_resp. > As you will see from the XML it is supposed to filter it's way through the > rest of the questionnaire depending on the answers given. > oddly the vast majority of this collection is cut from others I have > written which work perfectly it all seemed to go wrong once I introduced > groups into the mix > I suspect that this will be easier to do in Excel but I just can't get my > head round how to do it in Excel. > Any help will be greatfully accepted and if anyone can convert it to Excel > that would be great as I will be able to see what it looks like and as I > know exactly what it is supposed to be doing it will be easier to work out > the Excel format. > thanks in anticipation >

Hi Nathan,
Thanks for your reply I found the problem in the end I had a CAPITAL C in
one of the statements which although it varified would not work. I did try
putting in select and when I ran the verifier it said it did not recognise
the select statement.

··· On Friday, 26 October 2012 20:33:46 UTC+1, Nathan wrote: > > Hi Graham, > It sounds like you might be having a problem with your relevance formulas. > A couple things I noticed about your xform are: > 1. You aren't using the "selected" function for select data. For example, > you are using expressions like /data/con_resp ='4' rather than > 'selected(/data/con_resp, '4'). I think both approaches might work for > select1s, but I'm not 100% sure, so I recommend using selected function to > be safe. > 2. Your logical formula (e.g. A or B and C) are not grouped > by parenthesis. Using "(A or B) and C" or "A or (B and C)" will help ensure > your logical operators have the precedence you intended. > If you wish to switch to Excel forms there is a design guide available > here: http://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/xlsform/ > Best Regards, > -Nathan > > On Friday, October 26, 2012 8:31:40 AM UTC-7, Graham wrote: >> >> I only have around 3 weeks experience with this and have written this >> collection, it varifies ok and uploads. when I run it it gets as far as >> con_resp and then goes straight to title1, then to finish and end. No >> matter what responses have been made to the questions previous to con_resp. >> As you will see from the XML it is supposed to filter it's way through the >> rest of the questionnaire depending on the answers given. >> oddly the vast majority of this collection is cut from others I have >> written which work perfectly it all seemed to go wrong once I introduced >> groups into the mix >> I suspect that this will be easier to do in Excel but I just can't get my >> head round how to do it in Excel. >> Any help will be greatfully accepted and if anyone can convert it to >> Excel that would be great as I will be able to see what it looks like and >> as I know exactly what it is supposed to be doing it will be easier to work >> out the Excel format. >> thanks in anticipation >> >

Glad to hear things worked out. Just to be clear, there is no "select"
statement, but rather a "selected" function.
Regards,
-Nathan

··· On Monday, October 29, 2012 4:23:31 AM UTC-7, Graham wrote: > > Hi Nathan, > Thanks for your reply I found the problem in the end I had a CAPITAL C in > one of the statements which although it varified would not work. I did try > putting in select and when I ran the verifier it said it did not recognise > the select statement. > > On Friday, 26 October 2012 20:33:46 UTC+1, Nathan wrote: >> >> Hi Graham, >> It sounds like you might be having a problem with >> your relevance formulas. A couple things I noticed about your xform are: >> 1. You aren't using the "selected" function for select data. For example, >> you are using expressions like /data/con_resp ='4' rather than >> 'selected(/data/con_resp, '4'). I think both approaches might work for >> select1s, but I'm not 100% sure, so I recommend using selected function to >> be safe. >> 2. Your logical formula (e.g. A or B and C) are not grouped >> by parenthesis. Using "(A or B) and C" or "A or (B and C)" will help ensure >> your logical operators have the precedence you intended. >> If you wish to switch to Excel forms there is a design guide available >> here: http://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/xlsform/ >> Best Regards, >> -Nathan >> >> On Friday, October 26, 2012 8:31:40 AM UTC-7, Graham wrote: >>> >>> I only have around 3 weeks experience with this and have written this >>> collection, it varifies ok and uploads. when I run it it gets as far as >>> con_resp and then goes straight to title1, then to finish and end. No >>> matter what responses have been made to the questions previous to con_resp. >>> As you will see from the XML it is supposed to filter it's way through the >>> rest of the questionnaire depending on the answers given. >>> oddly the vast majority of this collection is cut from others I have >>> written which work perfectly it all seemed to go wrong once I introduced >>> groups into the mix >>> I suspect that this will be easier to do in Excel but I just can't get >>> my head round how to do it in Excel. >>> Any help will be greatfully accepted and if anyone can convert it to >>> Excel that would be great as I will be able to see what it looks like and >>> as I know exactly what it is supposed to be doing it will be easier to work >>> out the Excel format. >>> thanks in anticipation >>> >>