Make it required to answer at least one question in a field-list

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give any hints about how to achieve this:

I'm trying to set up a phone screen with two questions, one a numeric
value, and one a select-one option as an error code:

The screen looks a bit like this:

··· *** How much did you spend on petrol in the last 7 days? [Decimal input] If not answered... []refused to answer []does not know

My problem is that I'd like to make it a requirement that the interviewer
give a result to ONE of the questions - so they must EITHER give a number
input for how much was spent on petrol, OR give an error code, and the
phone won't let the interview continue until one of these answers is
completed.

I've set up the survey now so the phone won't accept answers to both
questions, but I can't work out how to ensure that one of these questions
is answered.

Has anyone got a suggestion?

Many thanks.

TLG

Can you combine them into a single select-one question and make it required?

Thanks for the suggestions! I've switched to having 'doesn't know' on a
separate screen and making that conditional. It works great. Thanks.

-Thea

··· On Friday, July 5, 2013 7:12:41 PM UTC+3, TLG wrote: > > Hi, > > I was wondering if anyone could give any hints about how to achieve this: > > I'm trying to set up a phone screen with two questions, one a numeric > value, and one a select-one option as an error code: > > The screen looks a bit like this: > > *** > How much did you spend on petrol in the last 7 days? > [Decimal input] > If not answered... > []refused to answer > []does not know > > **** > > My problem is that I'd like to make it a requirement that the interviewer > give a result to ONE of the questions - so they must EITHER give a number > input for how much was spent on petrol, OR give an error code, and the > phone won't let the interview continue until one of these answers is > completed. > > I've set up the survey now so the phone won't accept answers to both > questions, but I can't work out how to ensure that one of these questions > is answered. > > Has anyone got a suggestion? > > Many thanks. > > TLG > >

To expand: first answer is something like "has an answer " followed by the two others. Then a new question, relevant only if the respondent has an answer, collects the actual amount.

The dependent question cannot be on the same screen as the first question.

··· On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Jerry3904 wrote:

To expand: first answer is something like "has an answer " followed by the
two others. Then a new question, relevant only if the respondent has an
answer, collects the actual amount.

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Another approach would have one question collect all these responses and use a place holder value like -99.0 or something like that to be entered when not applicable and make the question required and on the relevant you would make it accept this value or the proper positive range .you would also put these instructions as a hint and through training address how to complete this. I used to handle questions the way you said in MS Access forms so switching to ODK that's what we are doing now without problems

Another approach would have one question collect all these responses and use a place holder value like -99.0 or something like that to be entered when not applicable and make the question required and on the relevant you would make it accept this value or the proper positive range .you would also put these instructions as a hint and through training address how to complete this. I used to handle questions the way you said in MS Access forms so switching to ODK that's what we are doing now without problems

@mitch: I meant something like this:

Q1 (select one, required): Are you able to tell me how much petrol...
A1 yes
A2 don't know
A3 don't want to say

Q2 (relevance: if A1 selected): How many gallons did you buy?