Managing multiple forms with different levels of access

Hi everyone,

first of all: great job guys! ODK and this forum is very helpful.

My question is in part technical, and in part relating to your experience
with data collection.

I am trying to use ODK to build a system that village level authorities can
use to keep track of revenue collection.
Different types of revenues are collected and I have two options:

1. create one form that early on asks which type of revenue item is being
    recorded (business fee, land fee, etc.). The answer to this question will
    then shape the remaining questions and adapt them to the specific situation
  2. create one form for each type of revenue item.

My personal preference would be for option number two, but I was wondering
what you think. To me the two options look equivalent (apart for the point
made below), but I might be wrong and one option might be more efficient
than the other (first time using ODK!).

Also, in case I were to go for option #2, I would like to set the system up
in a way that allows some users access all forms, and some others to access
only a subset of the loaded forms.
Is this possible?

Thanks!
Andrea

Another user asked about per-form access management -- ODK Aggregate does
not support that.

Other OpenRosa servers may.

Our general recommendation is to use ODK Aggregate to collect all the data
and act as a data store of record, then publish the data out to secondary
servers (Google Sheets or Fusion Tables) or use ODK Briefcase to export CSV
files, then set up access permissions on those secondary servers or file
artifacts for distribution.

··· On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Andrea Smurra wrote:

Hi everyone,

first of all: great job guys! ODK and this forum is very helpful.

My question is in part technical, and in part relating to your experience
with data collection.

I am trying to use ODK to build a system that village level authorities
can use to keep track of revenue collection.
Different types of revenues are collected and I have two options:

1. create one form that early on asks which type of revenue item is being
    recorded (business fee, land fee, etc.). The answer to this question will
    then shape the remaining questions and adapt them to the specific situation
  2. create one form for each type of revenue item.

My personal preference would be for option number two, but I was wondering
what you think. To me the two options look equivalent (apart for the point
made below), but I might be wrong and one option might be more efficient
than the other (first time using ODK!).

Also, in case I were to go for option #2, I would like to set the system
up in a way that allows some users access all forms, and some others to
access only a subset of the loaded forms.
Is this possible?

Thanks!
Andrea

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Hi Andrea,

Our platform -- rtSurvey-- does this very well. If you want a walk through, please let me know so that we can set up a session.

Cheers,
Trung.

··· On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 12:04:52 PM UTC+7, Andrea Smurra wrote: > Hi everyone, > > first of all: great job guys! ODK and this forum is very helpful. > > My question is in part technical, and in part relating to your experience with data collection. > > I am trying to use ODK to build a system that village level authorities can use to keep track of revenue collection. > Different types of revenues are collected and I have two options: > > 1) create one form that early on asks which type of revenue item is being recorded (business fee, land fee, etc.). The answer to this question will then shape the remaining questions and adapt them to the specific situation > 2) create one form for each type of revenue item. > > > My personal preference would be for option number two, but I was wondering what you think. To me the two options look equivalent (apart for the point made below), but I might be wrong and one option might be more efficient than the other (first time using ODK!). > > Also, in case I were to go for option #2, I would like to set the system up in a way that allows some users access all forms, and some others to access only a subset of the loaded forms. > Is this possible? > > Thanks! > Andrea

Hi Mitch,

thanks for the prompt reply!

What I actually meant is that I'd like to set everything up so that on ODK
Collect:
Enumerator A has access to Type 1 and Type 2 blank forms
Enumeartor B has access to only Type 2 blank form
Enumerator C has access to Type 2 and Type 3 blank form
and so on.
But all the forms are then collected under the same ODK Aggregate account.

Would that be possible?
Andrea

··· On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:51:40 AM UTC+6:30, Mitch Sundt wrote: > > Another user asked about per-form access management -- ODK Aggregate does > not support that. > > Other OpenRosa servers may. > > Our general recommendation is to use ODK Aggregate to collect all the data > and act as a data store of record, then publish the data out to secondary > servers (Google Sheets or Fusion Tables) or use ODK Briefcase to export CSV > files, then set up access permissions on those secondary servers or file > artifacts for distribution. > > > On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Andrea Smurra <andrea...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> Hi everyone, >> >> first of all: great job guys! ODK and this forum is very helpful. >> >> My question is in part technical, and in part relating to your experience >> with data collection. >> >> I am trying to use ODK to build a system that village level authorities >> can use to keep track of revenue collection. >> Different types of revenues are collected and I have two options: >> >> 1) create one form that early on asks which type of revenue item is being >> recorded (business fee, land fee, etc.). The answer to this question will >> then shape the remaining questions and adapt them to the specific situation >> 2) create one form for each type of revenue item. >> >> My personal preference would be for option number two, but I was >> wondering what you think. To me the two options look equivalent (apart for >> the point made below), but I might be wrong and one option might be more >> efficient than the other (first time using ODK!). >> >> Also, in case I were to go for option #2, I would like to set the system >> up in a way that allows some users access all forms, and some others to >> access only a subset of the loaded forms. >> Is this possible? >> >> Thanks! >> Andrea >> >> >> -- >> -- >> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >> >> --- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "ODK Community" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com >

Hi Trung

I would like to know about your platform, can you pls share the link. We
are right now building a survey form using ODK.

Raman

··· On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 7:23:22 AM UTC+5:30, tru...@rta.vn wrote: > > Hi Andrea, > > Our platform -- rtSurvey-- does this very well. If you want a walk > through, please let me know so that we can set up a session. > > Cheers, > Trung. > > On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 12:04:52 PM UTC+7, Andrea Smurra wrote: > > Hi everyone, > > > > first of all: great job guys! ODK and this forum is very helpful. > > > > My question is in part technical, and in part relating to your > experience with data collection. > > > > I am trying to use ODK to build a system that village level authorities > can use to keep track of revenue collection. > > Different types of revenues are collected and I have two options: > > > > 1) create one form that early on asks which type of revenue item is > being recorded (business fee, land fee, etc.). The answer to this question > will then shape the remaining questions and adapt them to the specific > situation > > 2) create one form for each type of revenue item. > > > > > > My personal preference would be for option number two, but I was > wondering what you think. To me the two options look equivalent (apart for > the point made below), but I might be wrong and one option might be more > efficient than the other (first time using ODK!). > > > > Also, in case I were to go for option #2, I would like to set the system > up in a way that allows some users access all forms, and some others to > access only a subset of the loaded forms. > > Is this possible? > > > > Thanks! > > Andrea > >

I guess the only way would be to manually upload the relevant subset of
blank forms onto each device...

··· On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2:35:32 PM UTC+6:30, Andrea Smurra wrote: > > Hi Mitch, > > thanks for the prompt reply! > > What I actually meant is that I'd like to set everything up so that on ODK > Collect: > Enumerator A has access to Type 1 and Type 2 blank forms > Enumeartor B has access to only Type 2 blank form > Enumerator C has access to Type 2 and Type 3 blank form > and so on. > But all the forms are then collected under the same ODK Aggregate account. > > Would that be possible? > Andrea > > > On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:51:40 AM UTC+6:30, Mitch Sundt wrote: >> >> Another user asked about per-form access management -- ODK Aggregate does >> not support that. >> >> Other OpenRosa servers may. >> >> Our general recommendation is to use ODK Aggregate to collect all the >> data and act as a data store of record, then publish the data out to >> secondary servers (Google Sheets or Fusion Tables) or use ODK Briefcase to >> export CSV files, then set up access permissions on those secondary servers >> or file artifacts for distribution. >> >> >> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Andrea Smurra wrote: >> >>> Hi everyone, >>> >>> first of all: great job guys! ODK and this forum is very helpful. >>> >>> My question is in part technical, and in part relating to your >>> experience with data collection. >>> >>> I am trying to use ODK to build a system that village level authorities >>> can use to keep track of revenue collection. >>> Different types of revenues are collected and I have two options: >>> >>> 1) create one form that early on asks which type of revenue item is >>> being recorded (business fee, land fee, etc.). The answer to this question >>> will then shape the remaining questions and adapt them to the specific >>> situation >>> 2) create one form for each type of revenue item. >>> >>> My personal preference would be for option number two, but I was >>> wondering what you think. To me the two options look equivalent (apart for >>> the point made below), but I might be wrong and one option might be more >>> efficient than the other (first time using ODK!). >>> >>> Also, in case I were to go for option #2, I would like to set the system >>> up in a way that allows some users access all forms, and some others to >>> access only a subset of the loaded forms. >>> Is this possible? >>> >>> Thanks! >>> Andrea >>> >>> >>> -- >>> -- >>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>> >>> --- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>> >> >> >> >> -- >> Mitch Sundt >> Software Engineer >> University of Washington >> mitche...@gmail.com >> >

Hi Andrea -- loading them separately on each specific user device is one
method -- this would be the 'most secure' in the effort to keep unapproved
persons from seeing questions/data.

An alternative is to use your option 1 above (so all revenue type questions
are found in the same form). As you stated, you have an early question that
designates revenue type -- prior to the revenue type Q, you place a
question asking for a unique (and secret) user ID. Then place a choice
filter based on the unique user ID for the revenue type question -- thus if
I was user 193847 I would see X revenue options but if I was user 208349 I
would see Y revenue options.

To further limit data views and access you would need to restrain key
options using the ODK Admin menu. First remove the 'Edit Saved From' option
-- (Because otherwise anyone could go in and view data and change responses
for any revenue type. Second, remove the 'Go to prompt' option (and also
the 'Save Form' option). Removing these limits the ability to edit forms in
the field (unless by a supervisor/approved staff who knows the ODK Admin
password). This also does not allow a survey to be saved/stopped half way
through -- the survey (once started) would need to be completed. These are
the vital steps (off the top off my head) that could be used to circumvent
access based on the choice filter on revenue type.

Hope this helps.

~Lloyd

··· On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 3:07:03 AM UTC-5, Andrea Smurra wrote: > > I guess the only way would be to manually upload the relevant subset of > blank forms onto each device... > > On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2:35:32 PM UTC+6:30, Andrea Smurra wrote: >> >> Hi Mitch, >> >> thanks for the prompt reply! >> >> What I actually meant is that I'd like to set everything up so that on >> ODK Collect: >> Enumerator A has access to Type 1 and Type 2 blank forms >> Enumeartor B has access to only Type 2 blank form >> Enumerator C has access to Type 2 and Type 3 blank form >> and so on. >> But all the forms are then collected under the same ODK Aggregate account. >> >> Would that be possible? >> Andrea >> >> >> On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:51:40 AM UTC+6:30, Mitch Sundt wrote: >>> >>> Another user asked about per-form access management -- ODK Aggregate >>> does not support that. >>> >>> Other OpenRosa servers may. >>> >>> Our general recommendation is to use ODK Aggregate to collect all the >>> data and act as a data store of record, then publish the data out to >>> secondary servers (Google Sheets or Fusion Tables) or use ODK Briefcase to >>> export CSV files, then set up access permissions on those secondary servers >>> or file artifacts for distribution. >>> >>> >>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Andrea Smurra wrote: >>> >>>> Hi everyone, >>>> >>>> first of all: great job guys! ODK and this forum is very helpful. >>>> >>>> My question is in part technical, and in part relating to your >>>> experience with data collection. >>>> >>>> I am trying to use ODK to build a system that village level authorities >>>> can use to keep track of revenue collection. >>>> Different types of revenues are collected and I have two options: >>>> >>>> 1) create one form that early on asks which type of revenue item is >>>> being recorded (business fee, land fee, etc.). The answer to this question >>>> will then shape the remaining questions and adapt them to the specific >>>> situation >>>> 2) create one form for each type of revenue item. >>>> >>>> My personal preference would be for option number two, but I was >>>> wondering what you think. To me the two options look equivalent (apart for >>>> the point made below), but I might be wrong and one option might be more >>>> efficient than the other (first time using ODK!). >>>> >>>> Also, in case I were to go for option #2, I would like to set the >>>> system up in a way that allows some users access all forms, and some others >>>> to access only a subset of the loaded forms. >>>> Is this possible? >>>> >>>> Thanks! >>>> Andrea >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> -- >>>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>> >>>> --- >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> Mitch Sundt >>> Software Engineer >>> University of Washington >>> mitche...@gmail.com >>> >>

Thanks!!!

··· On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 8:43:58 PM UTC+6:30, Lloyd Owen Banwart wrote: > > Hi Andrea -- loading them separately on each specific user device is one > method -- this would be the 'most secure' in the effort to keep unapproved > persons from seeing questions/data. > > An alternative is to use your option 1 above (so all revenue type > questions are found in the same form). As you stated, you have an early > question that designates revenue type -- prior to the revenue type Q, you > place a question asking for a unique (and secret) user ID. Then place a > choice filter based on the unique user ID for the revenue type question -- > thus if I was user 193847 I would see X revenue options but if I was user > 208349 I would see Y revenue options. > > To further limit data views and access you would need to restrain key > options using the ODK Admin menu. First remove the 'Edit Saved From' option > -- (Because otherwise anyone could go in and view data and change responses > for any revenue type. Second, remove the 'Go to prompt' option (and also > the 'Save Form' option). Removing these limits the ability to edit forms in > the field (unless by a supervisor/approved staff who knows the ODK Admin > password). This also does not allow a survey to be saved/stopped half way > through -- the survey (once started) would need to be completed. These are > the vital steps (off the top off my head) that could be used to circumvent > access based on the choice filter on revenue type. > > Hope this helps. > > ~Lloyd > > On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 3:07:03 AM UTC-5, Andrea Smurra wrote: >> >> I guess the only way would be to manually upload the relevant subset of >> blank forms onto each device... >> >> On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2:35:32 PM UTC+6:30, Andrea Smurra wrote: >>> >>> Hi Mitch, >>> >>> thanks for the prompt reply! >>> >>> What I actually meant is that I'd like to set everything up so that on >>> ODK Collect: >>> Enumerator A has access to Type 1 and Type 2 blank forms >>> Enumeartor B has access to only Type 2 blank form >>> Enumerator C has access to Type 2 and Type 3 blank form >>> and so on. >>> But all the forms are then collected under the same ODK Aggregate >>> account. >>> >>> Would that be possible? >>> Andrea >>> >>> >>> On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:51:40 AM UTC+6:30, Mitch Sundt wrote: >>>> >>>> Another user asked about per-form access management -- ODK Aggregate >>>> does not support that. >>>> >>>> Other OpenRosa servers may. >>>> >>>> Our general recommendation is to use ODK Aggregate to collect all the >>>> data and act as a data store of record, then publish the data out to >>>> secondary servers (Google Sheets or Fusion Tables) or use ODK Briefcase to >>>> export CSV files, then set up access permissions on those secondary servers >>>> or file artifacts for distribution. >>>> >>>> >>>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Andrea Smurra wrote: >>>> >>>>> Hi everyone, >>>>> >>>>> first of all: great job guys! ODK and this forum is very helpful. >>>>> >>>>> My question is in part technical, and in part relating to your >>>>> experience with data collection. >>>>> >>>>> I am trying to use ODK to build a system that village level >>>>> authorities can use to keep track of revenue collection. >>>>> Different types of revenues are collected and I have two options: >>>>> >>>>> 1) create one form that early on asks which type of revenue item is >>>>> being recorded (business fee, land fee, etc.). The answer to this question >>>>> will then shape the remaining questions and adapt them to the specific >>>>> situation >>>>> 2) create one form for each type of revenue item. >>>>> >>>>> My personal preference would be for option number two, but I was >>>>> wondering what you think. To me the two options look equivalent (apart for >>>>> the point made below), but I might be wrong and one option might be more >>>>> efficient than the other (first time using ODK!). >>>>> >>>>> Also, in case I were to go for option #2, I would like to set the >>>>> system up in a way that allows some users access all forms, and some others >>>>> to access only a subset of the loaded forms. >>>>> Is this possible? >>>>> >>>>> Thanks! >>>>> Andrea >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> -- >>>>> -- >>>>> Post: opend...@googlegroups.com >>>>> Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com >>>>> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >>>>> >>>>> --- >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>>> Groups "ODK Community" group. >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>>> an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. >>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Mitch Sundt >>>> Software Engineer >>>> University of Washington >>>> mitche...@gmail.com >>>> >>>