Migration from Aggregate x.1 to x.2

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.
For migration from Aggregate 1.x to 2.x, what type of personal server I could use? Does that personal server need to be online all the time, or the data enumerators can upload their data when the server comes online?
2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.
Aggregate 1.7
3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Not sure where to find an answer.
4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Just need to know the general idea about how the server works.

Welcome to the ODK forum, @abdulrazzaktamim! We're glad you're here. When you get a chance, please introduce yourself on this other forum thread. I'd also encourage you to add a real picture as your avatar because it helps build community!

Have you taken a look at the documentation? There's a section on Installing Aggregate and also a section on Upgrading Aggregate. Do you have specific questions or issues not covered in the documentation?

If the server is offline, uploading submissions from the phones will fail. But you can retry as many times as you want until the server is online and the upload succeeds.

Hi @danbjoseph! Thanks for the reply; I will introduce myself there!
I read the resources you mentioned but I could not understand if it is okay to use Aggregate v1.x because the terms used were a bit technical for me; thanks for answering!
So if I use ODK Aggregate v1.7.3 because it is compatible with Google App Engine, that should be fine, right?

If you want to use Google App Engine to host your Aggregate, then you need to use v1.7.3. For more details on v2.x you can check out Upcoming changes to Aggregate.

You are currently running an instance of aggregate? What version? And what server option(s) are you looking at for hosting your next instance?

Thanks @danbjoseph! I am currently running v1.7.3 and using Google App Engine. I am just unsure if this (i.e. using v1.x instead of v2.x) might cause any problems as I plan on collecting my data this summer.

Google may change the App Engine usage and pricing structure, but will hopefully provide notice in advance of any major changes. If you're planning on using Google App Engine, you cannot use v2.x of Aggregate. The documentation has a section specifically on Google App Engine Support (Legacy). You can continue using the Aggregate v1.x series, but Open Data Kit will only ship critical bug fixes. You might consider using ODK Central in your data collection campaign.

1 Like

Okay I see. Thanks a lot!