Missing XML-file in submission folder with USB-connection

In some submissions are no xml-files in the sdcard/odk/instances subdirectories to be found with a cable (USB) connection, only the media files are shown. With a filemanager on the mobile the xml-files were displayed.

Today, I had a submission of this type, it was uploaded manually on the server and the submission is complete.
The form is completly filled, saved with the save-button and could be accessed by the ODK Collect App (1.4/1038). I checked this with 3 computers, also the display options to see all files (hidden, system...).

After rebooting the mobile, the file is shown in the Windows Explorer... This effects all 8 mobiles in our team.

This problem is worse... Our submissions are up to 50 MB, some submissions are not uploaded via network or Wifi... On visits with our data collectors I'd like to pull the data via cable to my notebook and upload them later to Aggregate... Copying the folders in the /instances directory may loose the xml-files...

The mobiles are Cink Peax 2 (french vendor, upcoming in Europe) with Android 4.1.2.

Anyone monitored this too?

Gunter

Gunter,

There are bugs in the Android device drivers for both Mac and Windows.
These bugs can cause files not to appear and therefore not be copied
to your computer.

See https://groups.google.com/d/msg/opendatakit/1nioXa2QHgM/3xS7s2RM-7AJ
for workarounds.

Yaw

ยทยทยท -- Need ODK services? http://nafundi.com provides form design, server setup, professional support, and software development for ODK.

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM, gunterlorek.gemament@gmail.com wrote:

In some submissions are no xml-files in the sdcard/odk/instances subdirectories to be found with a cable (USB) connection, only the media files are shown. With a filemanager on the mobile the xml-files were displayed.

Today, I had a submission of this type, it was uploaded manually on the server and the submission is complete.
The form is completly filled, saved with the save-button and could be accessed by the ODK Collect App (1.4/1038). I checked this with 3 computers, also the display options to see all files (hidden, system...).

After rebooting the mobile, the file is shown in the Windows Explorer... This effects all 8 mobiles in our team.

This problem is worse... Our submissions are up to 50 MB, some submissions are not uploaded via network or Wifi... On visits with our data collectors I'd like to pull the data via cable to my notebook and upload them later to Aggregate... Copying the folders in the /instances directory may loose the xml-files...

The mobiles are Cink Peax 2 (french vendor, upcoming in Europe) with Android 4.1.2.

Anyone monitored this too?

Gunter

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Dear Yaw,

T-H-A-N-K-S !!!!

I doubted on my computer's behaviour. But it's the Google OS...

Because of the big submissions we're creating, I decided to change the SD cards from our data collectors (7) at the half of the facilities (640) via snail mail. Every submission has up to 50 MB, transfering with 3G network works great. After the high speed volume was reached, the speed was reduced to GPRS, this caused problems transmitting data. When driving from one place to the other through the landscape, the phones drop into network holes while transmitting, and I suppose, there's no resume. Germany, the country of network holes ;-).
To pull the data from the SD cards, I'll never use the phones. I'll use a card reader.

Now, there are 6 submissions with missing xml files. Fortunately I can restore them by using the pictures and paper records, machine schema, we had sent by email to our collectors. Periodic returs are helping to check the data quality and, in this case, reconstruct data.

Cheers!

Gunter