New Export Formats

What is the general goal of the feature?
ODK Briefcase currently allows the user to export the form submissions to CSV format. As part of GSoC 2018, I would like to add more export formats to Briefcase.

What are some example use cases for this feature?
Users won't have to use any third-party applications to convert their CSVs to the desired format used by their data analysis tool.

What can you contribute to making this feature a reality?
I will work on the requested export format types during GSoC 2018.

I would like to ask the users which new export formats they would like to see in Briefcase. Please reply to this message and I will try to add that particular export format.

Thanks,
Mayank Vaidya

There should be one more options needs into exporting which is without media. Because many times this can be possible that when user is with low internet connection and at that time if media is downloaded then it will take more internet to downlaod all media.

Regards,
Narendra

@iamnarendrasingh Did you mean to say that this option should be in Pull?

Thanks,
Mayank Vaidya

Hi @mayank8318! Thanks for putting the thread together!

Just wanted to point out some formats that we're already considering:

• Flat CSV format, where the main form and repeats go into the same file
  • JSON format, just like on ODK Aggregate
  • SPSS and Stata formats

Let's hear about other formats people also use in the community :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @iamnarendrasingh! You're right. It's something that we already support when exporting submissions on the command line. We already are tracking that on this issue: https://github.com/opendatakit/briefcase/issues/386

I think @iamnarendrasingh probably wants this on pull, where bandwidth is an issue, not on export. Narendra, can you confirm?

1 Like