New feature suggestion for ODK collect

Hi

I am using ODK collect ona Motorola Defy+ and ocassionaly the GPS
device on the phone takes quite a while to kick in and obtain a
position. It also ocassionally somethimes hangs and never gets a
location at all. If I then launch a GPS app like "GPS test" it seems
to kick the GPS into life anf then the form works.

It would be good to include as part of the ODK collect app location
page, a small component that gives visual feedback on the status of
the GPS location gathering operation (ie like the GPS test app) and
show the number of satelites in view, how many are active etc.

This would do two things, one is give the user some feedback on the
processes in the background as part of the GPS location aquisition and
they could decide to cancel the form if there were just no satelites
in view (rather than waiting for agaes and the screen just saying
waiting), and secondly the app might just give the GPS system the kick
needed to get it gong if it had stalled.

Just a suggestion for a fututre version. :slight_smile:

Jon

jon,

this is likely device specific -- after you move a few miles, some
gpses on low end devices require time and processing to update
satellites data. odk collect 1.1.7 tries to make this process faster
by getting locations from cell, wifi and true gps, so try upgrading
and see if that helps.

collect 1.1.7 also has a visual mapping option (add appearance="maps"
to the geopoint control) that shows you a shrinking circle as accuracy
increases -- hopefully that helps as well.

your feature request of adding satellites has been filed at
http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/issues/detail?id=463. it's small
enough that maybe someone in the community will submit a patch
quickly. if not, we'll get to it as soon as we can.

yaw

··· On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:38, Jon Parsons wrote: > Hi > > I am using ODK collect ona Motorola Defy+ and ocassionaly the GPS > device on the phone takes quite a while to kick in and obtain a > position. It also ocassionally somethimes hangs and never gets a > location at all. If I then launch a GPS app like "GPS test" it seems > to kick the GPS into life anf then the form works. > > It would be good to include as part of the ODK collect app location > page, a small component that gives visual feedback on the status of > the GPS location gathering operation (ie like the GPS test app) and > show the number of satelites in view, how many are active etc. > > This would do two things, one is give the user some feedback on the > processes in the background as part of the GPS location aquisition and > they could decide to cancel the form if there were just no satelites > in view (rather than waiting for agaes and the screen just saying > waiting), and secondly the app might just give the GPS system the kick > needed to get it gong if it had stalled. > > Just a suggestion for a fututre version. :-) > > Jon > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

i got a question about the mapping option in geopoint.

see http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/source/browse/New+Widgets.xml?repo=forms#114
for an example prompt.

note that the mapping display requires a data connection and does not
cache any of the data -- this is a limitation of android's mapping
api.

··· On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:36, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > jon, > > this is likely device specific -- after you move a few miles, some > gpses on low end devices require time and processing to update > satellites data. odk collect 1.1.7 tries to make this process faster > by getting locations from cell, wifi and true gps, so try upgrading > and see if that helps. > > collect 1.1.7 also has a visual mapping option (add appearance="maps" > to the geopoint control) that shows you a shrinking circle as accuracy > increases -- hopefully that helps as well. > > your feature request of adding satellites has been filed at > http://code.google.com/p/opendatakit/issues/detail?id=463. it's small > enough that maybe someone in the community will submit a patch > quickly. if not, we'll get to it as soon as we can. > > yaw > > On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:38, Jon Parsons wrote: >> Hi >> >> I am using ODK collect ona Motorola Defy+ and ocassionaly the GPS >> device on the phone takes quite a while to kick in and obtain a >> position. It also ocassionally somethimes hangs and never gets a >> location at all. If I then launch a GPS app like "GPS test" it seems >> to kick the GPS into life anf then the form works. >> >> It would be good to include as part of the ODK collect app location >> page, a small component that gives visual feedback on the status of >> the GPS location gathering operation (ie like the GPS test app) and >> show the number of satelites in view, how many are active etc. >> >> This would do two things, one is give the user some feedback on the >> processes in the background as part of the GPS location aquisition and >> they could decide to cancel the form if there were just no satelites >> in view (rather than waiting for agaes and the screen just saying >> waiting), and secondly the app might just give the GPS system the kick >> needed to get it gong if it had stalled. >> >> Just a suggestion for a fututre version. :-) >> >> Jon >> >> -- >> Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com >> Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en