Nice presentation of results

I am just finishing a form for urban tree health assessment where the user
collects and interprets five parameters; the form will be supported by and
linked to a book that comes out this month.

At the end of the form, I have a Health Score screen where I would like to
present the results of the field work in a nice form. At the moment the
only thing I have found that works at all is to use the hint column to pull
together five queries such as this:
Ratio ${deviation_ratio}
Opacity ${deviation_opacity}
etc.
That works, but looks pretty amateurish on the screen. Is there another
way to present these results that would be more attractive to the user?
For instance, is there a way to set up a table with the first column
having the parameter name and the second with the result?

TIA

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
In general there aren't a lot of options for customizing appearance. One
thing you could try that might get you closer to what you want is using a
field-list of notes (see Grouping Questions on a Single Screen in the form
design help http://opendatakit.org/help/form-design/xlsform/).
Hope this helps,
-Nathan

··· On Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:29:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: > > I am just finishing a form for urban tree health assessment where the user > collects and interprets five parameters; the form will be supported by and > linked to a book that comes out this month. > > At the end of the form, I have a Health Score screen where I would like to > present the results of the field work in a nice form. At the moment the > only thing I have found that works at all is to use the hint column to pull > together five queries such as this: > *Ratio ${deviation_ratio}* > *Opacity ${deviation_opacity}* > *etc.* > That works, but looks pretty amateurish on the screen. Is there another > way to present these results that would be more attractive to the user? > For instance, is there a way to set up a table with the first column > having the parameter name and the second with the result? > > TIA > > Jerry >

Is there an option to get rid of the lines between the notes? I think
that's why I didn't use that in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, I will definitely give it a second look.

··· On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:08:30 PM UTC-4, Nathan wrote: > > Hi Jerry, > In general there aren't a lot of options for customizing appearance. One > thing you could try that might get you closer to what you want is using a > field-list of notes (see Grouping Questions on a Single Screen in the form > design help ). > Hope this helps, > -Nathan > > On Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:29:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: >> >> I am just finishing a form for urban tree health assessment where the >> user collects and interprets five parameters; the form will be supported by >> and linked to a book that comes out this month. >> >> At the end of the form, I have a Health Score screen where I would like >> to present the results of the field work in a nice form. At the moment the >> only thing I have found that works at all is to use the hint column to pull >> together five queries such as this: >> *Ratio ${deviation_ratio}* >> *Opacity ${deviation_opacity}* >> *etc.* >> That works, but looks pretty amateurish on the screen. Is there another >> way to present these results that would be more attractive to the user? >> For instance, is there a way to set up a table with the first column >> having the parameter name and the second with the result? >> >> TIA >> >> Jerry >> >

OK, I can fit the five items on a single screen if I suppress all hints.
And that looks (somewhat) better.

Thanks again.

··· On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:54:33 PM UTC-4, Jerry3904 wrote: > > Is there an option to get rid of the lines between the notes? I think > that's why I didn't use that in the first place. > > Thanks for the suggestion, though, I will definitely give it a second look. > > On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:08:30 PM UTC-4, Nathan wrote: >> >> Hi Jerry, >> In general there aren't a lot of options for customizing appearance. One >> thing you could try that might get you closer to what you want is using a >> field-list of notes (see Grouping Questions on a Single Screen in the form >> design help ). >> Hope this helps, >> -Nathan >> >> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:29:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: >>> >>> I am just finishing a form for urban tree health assessment where the >>> user collects and interprets five parameters; the form will be supported by >>> and linked to a book that comes out this month. >>> >>> At the end of the form, I have a Health Score screen where I would like >>> to present the results of the field work in a nice form. At the moment the >>> only thing I have found that works at all is to use the hint column to pull >>> together five queries such as this: >>> *Ratio ${deviation_ratio}* >>> *Opacity ${deviation_opacity}* >>> *etc.* >>> That works, but looks pretty amateurish on the screen. Is there another >>> way to present these results that would be more attractive to the user? >>> For instance, is there a way to set up a table with the first column >>> having the parameter name and the second with the result? >>> >>> TIA >>> >>> Jerry >>> >>

I'm not aware of any way to get rid of the lines without code changes.

··· On Saturday, July 7, 2012 1:54:33 PM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: > > Is there an option to get rid of the lines between the notes? I think > that's why I didn't use that in the first place. > > Thanks for the suggestion, though, I will definitely give it a second look. > > On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:08:30 PM UTC-4, Nathan wrote: >> >> Hi Jerry, >> In general there aren't a lot of options for customizing appearance. One >> thing you could try that might get you closer to what you want is using a >> field-list of notes (see Grouping Questions on a Single Screen in the form >> design help ). >> Hope this helps, >> -Nathan >> >> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:29:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: >>> >>> I am just finishing a form for urban tree health assessment where the >>> user collects and interprets five parameters; the form will be supported by >>> and linked to a book that comes out this month. >>> >>> At the end of the form, I have a Health Score screen where I would like >>> to present the results of the field work in a nice form. At the moment the >>> only thing I have found that works at all is to use the hint column to pull >>> together five queries such as this: >>> *Ratio ${deviation_ratio}* >>> *Opacity ${deviation_opacity}* >>> *etc.* >>> That works, but looks pretty amateurish on the screen. Is there another >>> way to present these results that would be more attractive to the user? >>> For instance, is there a way to set up a table with the first column >>> having the parameter name and the second with the result? >>> >>> TIA >>> >>> Jerry >>> >>

Jerry,

If making the changes in the form don't get you the exact look and
feel you want, you can also hire a company from
http://opendatakit.org/help/help-for-hire/ to customize ODK Collect
for you.

Disclaimer: I started Nafundi, one of the companies on that list.

Yaw

··· On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Jerry3904 wrote: > OK, I can fit the five items on a single screen if I suppress all hints. > And that looks (somewhat) better. > > Thanks again. > > On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:54:33 PM UTC-4, Jerry3904 wrote: >> >> Is there an option to get rid of the lines between the notes? I think >> that's why I didn't use that in the first place. >> >> Thanks for the suggestion, though, I will definitely give it a second >> look. >> >> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:08:30 PM UTC-4, Nathan wrote: >>> >>> Hi Jerry, >>> In general there aren't a lot of options for customizing appearance. One >>> thing you could try that might get you closer to what you want is using a >>> field-list of notes (see Grouping Questions on a Single Screen in the form >>> design help). >>> Hope this helps, >>> -Nathan >>> >>> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:29:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: >>>> >>>> I am just finishing a form for urban tree health assessment where the >>>> user collects and interprets five parameters; the form will be supported by >>>> and linked to a book that comes out this month. >>>> >>>> At the end of the form, I have a Health Score screen where I would like >>>> to present the results of the field work in a nice form. At the moment the >>>> only thing I have found that works at all is to use the hint column to pull >>>> together five queries such as this: >>>> Ratio ${deviation_ratio} >>>> Opacity ${deviation_opacity} >>>> etc. >>>> That works, but looks pretty amateurish on the screen. Is there another >>>> way to present these results that would be more attractive to the user? For >>>> instance, is there a way to set up a table with the first column having the >>>> parameter name and the second with the result? >>>> >>>> TIA >>>> >>>> Jerry > > -- > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

Thanks, Nathan.

I solved this problem to my satisfaction by putting all five querries into
the label field of a single note prompt, separating them with a hard return
and self-closing break tag, like this:

Ratio ${deviation_ratio}

Opacity ${deviation_opacity}
etc.

Looks very good on the screen--thanks for the suggestions.

··· On Sunday, July 8, 2012 7:26:16 PM UTC-4, Nathan wrote: > > I'm not aware of any way to get rid of the lines without code changes. > > On Saturday, July 7, 2012 1:54:33 PM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: >> >> Is there an option to get rid of the lines between the notes? I think >> that's why I didn't use that in the first place. >> >> Thanks for the suggestion, though, I will definitely give it a second >> look. >> >> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:08:30 PM UTC-4, Nathan wrote: >>> >>> Hi Jerry, >>> In general there aren't a lot of options for customizing appearance. One >>> thing you could try that might get you closer to what you want is using a >>> field-list of notes (see Grouping Questions on a Single Screen in the form >>> design help ). >>> Hope this helps, >>> -Nathan >>> >>> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:29:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: >>>> >>>> I am just finishing a form for urban tree health assessment where the >>>> user collects and interprets five parameters; the form will be supported by >>>> and linked to a book that comes out this month. >>>> >>>> At the end of the form, I have a Health Score screen where I would like >>>> to present the results of the field work in a nice form. At the moment the >>>> only thing I have found that works at all is to use the hint column to pull >>>> together five queries such as this: >>>> *Ratio ${deviation_ratio}* >>>> *Opacity ${deviation_opacity}* >>>> *etc.* >>>> That works, but looks pretty amateurish on the screen. Is there >>>> another way to present these results that would be more attractive to the >>>> user? For instance, is there a way to set up a table with the first column >>>> having the parameter name and the second with the result? >>>> >>>> TIA >>>> >>>> Jerry >>>> >>>

Thanks. I saw that you had finished your degree (congrats!) and founded
that company (good luck!), and I will definitely keep that option in mind.

Jerry

··· On Saturday, July 7, 2012 9:14:04 PM UTC-4, Yaw Anokwa wrote: > > Jerry, > > If making the changes in the form don't get you the exact look and > feel you want, you can also hire a company from > http://opendatakit.org/help/help-for-hire/ to customize ODK Collect > for you. > > Disclaimer: I started Nafundi, one of the companies on that list. > > Yaw > > On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Jerry3904 wrote: > > OK, I can fit the five items on a single screen if I suppress all hints. > > And that looks (somewhat) better. > > > > Thanks again. > > > > On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:54:33 PM UTC-4, Jerry3904 wrote: > >> > >> Is there an option to get rid of the lines between the notes? I think > >> that's why I didn't use that in the first place. > >> > >> Thanks for the suggestion, though, I will definitely give it a second > >> look. > >> > >> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:08:30 PM UTC-4, Nathan wrote: > >>> > >>> Hi Jerry, > >>> In general there aren't a lot of options for customizing appearance. > One > >>> thing you could try that might get you closer to what you want is > using a > >>> field-list of notes (see Grouping Questions on a Single Screen in the > form > >>> design help). > >>> Hope this helps, > >>> -Nathan > >>> > >>> On Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:29:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry3904 wrote: > >>>> > >>>> I am just finishing a form for urban tree health assessment where the > >>>> user collects and interprets five parameters; the form will be > supported by > >>>> and linked to a book that comes out this month. > >>>> > >>>> At the end of the form, I have a Health Score screen where I would > like > >>>> to present the results of the field work in a nice form. At the > moment the > >>>> only thing I have found that works at all is to use the hint column > to pull > >>>> together five queries such as this: > >>>> Ratio ${deviation_ratio} > >>>> Opacity ${deviation_opacity} > >>>> etc. > >>>> That works, but looks pretty amateurish on the screen. Is there > another > >>>> way to present these results that would be more attractive to the > user? For > >>>> instance, is there a way to set up a table with the first column > having the > >>>> parameter name and the second with the result? > >>>> > >>>> TIA > >>>> > >>>> Jerry > > > > -- > > Post: opendatakit@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en >