OCR integration in ODK to extract text data from image

Hi

Is it possible to integrate OCR function in ODK at collect stage or aggregate, to extract text data such as respondent name, surname data directly from from the images (uploaded ID).

If yes, can you please guide how to implement the same.

Warm Regards
Ishwar Kumar

OCR accuracy is very hard to do, but it is possible. Let's move this thread to Features so it can be further discussed.

ODK Scan was an attempt to do exactly this on the mobile side.

Captricity is another solution that folks have used

Two questions to get the discussion started:

1. Can you tell us more about the high-level problem you are trying to solve or share a user-scenario or story about this feature?
  2. Would something like ODK Scan or Captricity solve your problem? If not, what features are they lacking?

Can you tell us more about the high-level problem you are trying to solve or share a user-scenario or story about this feature?--

While going for surveys, surveyors instead of filling in respondent details just capture an photo of the ID, and in backend system shall be able to pick the details from the photo image and populate in sheets (excel, CSV etc.).
this will help reduce the time consumed on each survey and increase productivity and resource utilization.

Would something like ODK Scan or Captricity solve your problem? If not, what features are they lacking?

Both ODK scan and captricity are able to resolve the same in standalone, however believe there shall be option to integrate the same in ODK collect itself to have the data automatically extracted and saved in the forms.

this is basis on my understanding of current system, however there might be possibility that same is already possible in existing system, if so, will highly appreciate if you can guide me how to integrate the same.

Warm Regards

another usage of OCR probably: If the data is usually recorded on a book and I want to digitize it, I will still have hard copy and soft copy. In my country there are community based mother and children health monitoring. Usually they will conduct recording of weight, height, immunization. The record is a log book, but the data only available for that particular community. There is no further data processing since the log must be retyped to computer by higher level community and nobody will do that unless for critical usage. It is easier to digitize the data by using scanner or camera and convert it into text or tables.