ODK Briefcase export submissions to .csv error

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
When exporting csv files from Briefcase an unexpected error prompting arises which prompts to check error logs. The log itself indicates that "the problem was located in calculate expression" and that it cannot handle function "pulldata".

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
I'm using ODK Briefcase 1.12.2 on Windows 10 PC

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Download data from Aggregate Server and trying to export it to a text file

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
Re-downloaded ODK Briefcase, deleted ODK storage folder, re-installed Java on my machine

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.
briefcase.txt (408.2 KB)

Hi, @David_Sichinava! I'm sorry you're having problems with Briefcase.

Could you share your blank form so that I can try to reproduce the error on my machine and see how we can solve this?

Hi @ggalmazor, many thanks for your reply. PleasFieldwork_form.zip (131.0 KB)

Hi again, @David_Sichinava!

I've uploaded the form to my Aggregate server and I've managed to fill a submission :slight_smile:

I've been able to export the submission without problems, but I'm sure I haven't filled correctly the field that has the compute attribute Briefcase is complaining about.

Could you send me a submission that you know it's failing to export?

Thanks again for your help! Here is a sample of problematic instances. It just popped up to my mind that it might have to do something with Aggregate version.
แƒฃแƒœแƒ˜แƒ•แƒ”แƒ แƒกแƒ˜แƒขแƒ”แƒขแƒ˜แƒก แƒ’แƒแƒ›แƒแƒ™แƒ˜แƒ—แƒฎแƒ•แƒ.zip (321.2 KB)

1 Like

Thanks, @David_Sichinava!

Now I'm able to reproduce the error. I'll study the error and get back to you here.

1 Like

Hi @David_Sichinava!

Long story short: we have a filesystem concurrency problem and we need to work out a solution, which won't happen as quick as you could probably need.

In the mean time, you can try starting Briefcase with the -Djava.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.common.parallelism=1 JVM argument like so:

java -Djava.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.common.parallelism=1 -jar briefcase.jar

It may fail again but it's probable you get it to work if you insist on exporting the form.

@ggalmazor many thanks! I'm gonna proceed as advised. Meantime, if anyone interested in non-ODK "solution", one might want to read the data from downloaded instances using XML library, or download the dataset from the Aggregate server.

1 Like