ODK Build Export to XLSForm not working

What is the problem? Please be detailed.
I have been trying to export a questionnaire from ODK build to XLSForm for almost 2 weeks and have received the same error message "Something went wrong while exporting. Please try again later." each time.

What ODK tool and version are you using? And on what device and operating system version?
I am running ODK build off build.opendatakit.com and the about information is as follows:
ODK Build is part of the Open Data Kit suite of tools. It is licensed under the Apache License 2.0. You can find the source code on GitHub. Built by Clint Tseng in Seattle, Bangalore, Pittsburgh, and 40,000 feet in the air.

I am running 532f8f781d070b6e82a2cf0ca7b3d454ec0ec7a3

I am running ODK Build on a 2013 Macbook Air, with Sierra v10.12.5 and Chrome Version 60.0.3112.101.

What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
Log into my account and try to export my questionnaire entitled "Brick Kiln Health Questionnaire".

What you have you tried to fix the problem?
I’ve tried switching browsers and computers, as well as saving the questionnaire under a new name and attempting to export, with no success.

Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach here.
I have seen two other posts on the ODK forum of people having similar problems several months ago and it looks like it was easily resolved with some backend solution. Most recently: ODK Build Export to Xls Form.

Thank you,
Nina

Hi Nina,

would you please try to buid a simple form then export it.

Best Regards

Hi Nader,

I created a very simple form (called Test Form in my account) and I was able to export it.

Thank you,
Nina

Hi Nina,
This mean the odk builder functionality work fine.
Would you chek your form if there conflict like (Read only & Required) i think this tow property don't come together.

Best regards

Hi Nader,

Can you let me know where I would check if there is a read only & required option set? I don't see anything like that, and I am able to edit the questionnaire in ODK Build, but if it's possible to try and change that I would like to try it.

Thank you,
Nina

Hi, Nina,
You will see this properties as check box on the bottom-right of screen.

I will make screen it for you,

Do you use online or offline building form

Hi Nader,

I am using ODK Build online. For the "Read Only and Required", do you mean for each individual question or is that a property for the overall questionnaire? If it is for individual questions, when you say the two properties don't come together, do you mean that only one should be checked (either read only or required)?

Thank you,
Nina

Yes it's for each item,
And why the dont come together
Because we cant ask the user to enter data in for example a textbox and this textbox is read only.

There are no questions for which read only and required are both checked. In fact, read only is not checked for any of the questions.

can you send the form file to check it,

Hi Nader,

This is a silly question - but how do I share the form file with you?

Thank you,
Nina

thank you Nina,

you can save the form as a file.

The ODK Forum will not let me (as a new user) upload any files. How else can I share this with you?

Hi Nina

try drag and drop in this window

eeee

just like what i did wiht this image

Nina,
if you don't want to share your form with me. it's OK, this is your decision.

I just want to help you

if you want to send it to my email this is my email.
Eng.Nader.Beshr@gmail.com

Thank you,
i get the email

but without attatchment

Hey Nina: I've taken a look. It seems the problem is these burn_mosquito questions you've created that cascade and ask followup questions at the same time. Reviewing the questions, it seems you don't really want these to cascade at all: you want them to all be followup questions. If you uncheck cascade for all of them and recreate them as followup questions, you should be good to go.

As my own followup question, I wonder how you managed to create this problem so that I can prevent people from having trouble with it in the future. Is this form old? New? Do you remember the steps you took to create that structure of burn_mosquitos questions? It should not be possible to formulate that structure but clearly it is, and I'd like to shut that door.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Clint,

I'm not sure how I created that structure, but the form allowed it. I worked on this several weeks ago and don't remember the particulars now that I've spent so much time trying to export it.

I've tried to change the structure of that question and just delete it entirely, and I can't seem to get all of the "burn_mosquito" options to delete from the survey. I deleted a number of questions that all seemed tied to the "burn_mosquito" and they are still there and I no longer see any option to delete the directly (the x is not there on the question at all).

Do you have any suggestions?

Yes—go through and uncheck all the "Cascading" checkmarks before attempting to delete any controls. That ought to fix the situation.

I'll keep trying to fix the bug you ran into!

Hi Nina,

I would suggest, instead of trying to build the form on ODK build, try developing the form on xls form directly. Its easier and you will find all references on http://xlsform.org/.

Thanks,
Imran