ODK Collect - Unable to 'save' a survey

1. What is the problem? Be very detailed.

We have 15 Android tablets running Collect v2021.2.4 two of these devices I am unable to 'save' a survey when I click the 'Do not add' button at the end it starts a new survey instead of asking to 'save and exit' as on the other devices in the fleet. I'm in a perpetual state 'adding a new survey'. The form is held in the 'Edit Saved Form (1)' state and cannot transfer to 'Send Finalised Form'. All the remaining 13 tablet work without this problem.

2. What app or server are you using and on what device and operating system? Include version numbers.

I'm uploading to 'GoogleSheets'

3. What you have you tried to fix the problem?

Only tried to identify the issue. Don't want to have to manually remove the directory from the tablet unless last resort.

4. What steps can we take to reproduce the problem?
N/A

5. Anything else we should know or have? If you have a test form or screenshots or logs, attach below.

so your form contains a repeat group and the app keeps asking you to add another group (despite the fact you click Do not add) so that you can't go to the last screen to save the form? Am I right?

Hello Grzesiek2010

That's correct. It only appears to affect two of my devices so perhaps it is an Android problem (maybe). I've put the tablets back into use with a view to use with caution. I just wondered whether anyone else has come across this. I'm guessing not.

Definitely it's something that should not happen and I have never heard about anything like that.
Could you describe the issue in detail? I mean did the dialog disappear and pop up again immediately after clicking Do not add or maybe you clicked the button and there was no action? I'm trying to understand that state.

Could you maybe also share your form? (in private if you prefer)

1 Like

Hi Grzesiek2010,

I've just had another couple of devices with the same issue. I' have attached some code for you to check.

veteran_&_ancient_tree_survey.xls (13.5 KB)
peatland_survey_form_final.xls (24 KB)

Thanks I will try to take a look at it soon.

I was trying to reproduce the issue but to no avail so I'm going to ask our QA team to take a look at it when they are free @kkrawczyk123 @Szymon_Rujner

@Paul_Shapley
could you provide more info to help us with this issue:

1. Please answer the question I asked above:
  1. How many groups did you had when you were able to reproduce the issue? Is it like 10, 50, 100? I'm wondering if that number has something to do with the issue.

2. Do you add new groups by swiping (left right) or maybe you click that plus button from the toolbar?

Hi Grzesiek2010

Q1 When I click on 'Do not Add' the next dialog went back to 'Name of Surveyor' so starting a new survey again in a continuous loop of 'Do not Add' then 'Name of Surveyor'. Unable to stop the survey.
Q2 There would have been around three or four groups minimum.
Q3 Clicked left.

I will try and repeat this process again tomorrow and see if I can replicate it again to be sure I give you accurate info above.

Hi Grzesiek2010,

I was unable to reproduce the problem on the 12 android devices. All worked OK. Very frustrating!

Yes i think it will be extremely difficult to reproduce so any extra piece of information would be appreciated.

Hi Grzesiek2010,

Hopefully I can reproduce this in the next few weeks. I've seen it happen but just need to 'video evidence' it. Please leave support call open.

Hi Grzesiek2010,

Just to update you on this issue. I've managed to evidence what I see is happening on two devices. It appears that at the end of a survey the 'ADD SURVEY' button does not show see video 'add_survey_missed_out.mp4' and it continues as though there is another survey anyway. It is then difficult to come out of the survey loop but eventually I can.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qXnork3GSyFPD-v5s_pG0xAB4Du5Ya4H/view?usp=sharing

Ok so it seems like you had 5 groups already added when you opened that saved form, that's why you were asked do add/do not add another group only after going though that last 5th group. Was it you who filled that form (before you edited it to record that video) or maybe someone else. It seems like you (or someone else) just added 5 groups and saved a form.
I'm I wrong? Do you claim that those groups were added somehow automatically?

Hi Grzesiek2010,

The field surveyor added the first three groups out in the field but had an issue 'saving out' the form (as I understand from a third party) so I opened the survey (on video) and added group 4 and 5 to try and show what was happening and to replicate 'saving out' before uploading which eventually worked somehow.

But watching the video I see that when you open your form you already have 5 groups.
You try to finalize a form what is not possible because in the third group you have required questions without answers. Then you navigate forward and there are two other groups 4th and 5th. They already exist because there is no dialog with add/do not add buttons. Only when you finish the last 5th group that dialog appears.
All what I said indicates that you had 5 groups at the time when you opened that saved form and you had to answer required questions to be able to finalize that form.
I don't see any bug here. Am I missing anything?