ODK Collect will not install

I just purchased a tablet (Samsung tab3) and phone (Samsung grand 2) specifically to use ODK for surveys in China. I purchased the items in China. Both devices are using Android 4.3.

I followed the instructions on the ODK website and downloaded the most recent version of ODK Collect (ver 1.4.3 rev 1040-4.apk) and it will not open. The error message is simply 'cannot open file'. I then proceeded to try a couple of older versions which also did not open. I also tried downloading though Google Play, although the devices do not come with Google Play pre-installed, and it wouldn't even download. I have reviewed all of the 'help' material and FAQ's but cannot find any helpful information, not have I found any similar issues on this forum. I made sure that the 'allow for apps from unknown sources' was checked. I am not sure what the problem is but I hope it can be resolved. I cannot return these devices.

I am new to Android - I use Apple products - so maybe I am missing something obvious. Maybe the devices sold in China come preconfigured differently. I know they come preloaded with different apps than you would find if purchased in the US for example. Maybe there is something else I need to download in order for 'ODK Collect' to open or be read correctly by the device.

Any assistance would be very appreciated.

Did you do this step:

1. From your device's application drawer, choose Settings, then
    Applications. Make sure Unknown sources is checked.

On 4.x devices, this is under Settings / Security / Device Administration /
Unknown Sources

If that is not checked, you won't be able to install the APK via
downloading from our site (or outside of Google Play).

If you are downloading the file from your device's browser, some browsers
rename the file to not end in .apk.

Use the file app on the phone to look in the Downloads folder. You should
see the ODK Collect apk file. Be sure it ends in .apk

Then try to install it.

Mitch

··· On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 9:33 AM, wrote:

I just purchased a tablet (Samsung tab3) and phone (Samsung grand 2)
specifically to use ODK for surveys in China. I purchased the items in
China. Both devices are using Android 4.3.

I followed the instructions on the ODK website and downloaded the most
recent version of ODK Collect (ver 1.4.3 rev 1040-4.apk) and it will not
open. The error message is simply 'cannot open file'. I then proceeded
to try a couple of older versions which also did not open. I also tried
downloading though Google Play, although the devices do not come with
Google Play pre-installed, and it wouldn't even download. I have reviewed
all of the 'help' material and FAQ's but cannot find any helpful
information, not have I found any similar issues on this forum. I made sure
that the 'allow for apps from unknown sources' was checked. I am not sure
what the problem is but I hope it can be resolved. I cannot return these
devices.

I am new to Android - I use Apple products - so maybe I am missing
something obvious. Maybe the devices sold in China come preconfigured
differently. I know they come preloaded with different apps than you would
find if purchased in the US for example. Maybe there is something else I
need to download in order for 'ODK Collect' to open or be read correctly by
the device.

Any assistance would be very appreciated.

--

Unsubscribe: opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"ODK Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to opendatakit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Mitch Sundt
Software Engineer
University of Washington
mitchellsundt@gmail.com

Thanks a ton - it's now working. Just to let you know what was tripping me up.

I did have 'Unknown Sources' checked and the downloaded file did end in '.apk'. I was trying to open the file to install from the 'Downloads' drawer instead of from the file management system. Once I found the APK file in the 'downloads' file folder and opened the file, I was then prompted to install the application.

I'll chalk it up to not being used to Android. Thanks again for responding so promptly. Hopefully in the future, I'll have more pertinent application specific questions. I'm really looking forward to using ODK!

-Jim

··· On Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:09:01 AM UTC+8, Mitch Sundt wrote: > Did you do this step: > > 1. From your device's application drawer, choose Settings, then Applications. Make sure Unknown sources is checked. > > On 4.x devices, this is under Settings / Security / Device Administration / Unknown Sources > > > If that is not checked, you won't be able to install the APK via downloading from our site (or outside of Google Play). > > > If you are downloading the file from your device's browser, some browsers rename the file to not end in .apk. > > > > Use the file app on the phone to look in the Downloads folder. You should see the ODK Collect apk file. Be sure it ends in .apk > > > Then try to install it. > > > > Mitch > > > > > > > > On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 9:33 AM, wrote: > > I just purchased a tablet (Samsung tab3) and phone (Samsung grand 2) specifically to use ODK for surveys in China. I purchased the items in China. Both devices are using Android 4.3. > > > > > I followed the instructions on the ODK website and downloaded the most recent version of ODK Collect (ver 1.4.3 rev 1040-4.apk) and it will not open. The error message is simply 'cannot open file'. I then proceeded to try a couple of older versions which also did not open. I also tried downloading though Google Play, although the devices do not come with Google Play pre-installed, and it wouldn't even download. I have reviewed all of the 'help' material and FAQ's but cannot find any helpful information, not have I found any similar issues on this forum. I made sure that the 'allow for apps from unknown sources' was checked. I am not sure what the problem is but I hope it can be resolved. I cannot return these devices. > > > > > I am new to Android - I use Apple products - so maybe I am missing something obvious. Maybe the devices sold in China come preconfigured differently. I know they come preloaded with different apps than you would find if purchased in the US for example. Maybe there is something else I need to download in order for 'ODK Collect' to open or be read correctly by the device. > > > > > Any assistance would be very appreciated. > > > > -- > > -- > > Post: opend...@googlegroups.com > > Unsubscribe: opendatakit...@googlegroups.com > > Options: http://groups.google.com/group/opendatakit?hl=en > > > > --- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ODK Community" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to opendatakit...@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > > -- > Mitch Sundt > Software Engineer > University of Washington > mitche...@gmail.com