Hi all - My team in Mongolia is trying to help identify the issue in some
detail. I seem to recall that there was some discussion about SIM cards
being required, but cannot locate the post. See below for details. I'll
forward the log files separately.
···---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: "Isaiah" Date: Jul 22, 2011 3:32 AM Subject: ODK testing errors
During another round of ODK testing today we did come up with a number of
errors. The error message each time was “The application ODK Collect
(process org.odk.collect.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try
again. " and the only option to select was "force quit". All these errors
were recorded on one Android phone.
I have listed the errors that we received below and they are grouped by the
location that they were received at. I also have organized them by the
time-stamp contained in the android log so I can match what was occurring
(and what settings were in place) during each error. I have sent the emails
containing the logs in the order that they are recorded below. Please let me
know if you would prefer to receive the logs in a different format (in a
word document, etc.) in the future.
The variables that we changed were turning wifi on or off, using airplane
mode, using the app with a SIM card in the phone or without a SIM Card, and
restarting the phone. A couple of things stood out during the process, which
may or may not be important:
- We either received no errors or multiple errors at each location--no
single errors were recorded.
- when a SIM card was in the phone, no errors were recorded throughout
the entire process. This being said, the app also worked without the SIM
card in the phone but it was interesting that no errors occurred with the
SIM card in place.
Both errors occurred with gps on and wifi off.
Error 1 - 12:22:21
Error 2 - 12:42:17
I then turned the phone off, put sim card in and the program ran perfectly.
After this location, the program worked perfectly for probably another 4-5
uses at different locations. This was with the SIM card in. After these
successful uses, I thought that the SIM card in the phone should be
considered as another variable. The phone was shut down and SIM card was
taken out. I don't remember if the errors at location 2 came on the use
IMMEDIATELY after taking out the SIM card or not. There could have been 1-2
successful uses without the SIM card.
The following two errors occurred with gps on, wifi off, and SIM card out.
We turned the wifi on and when we tried again, the program ran perfectly.
There could have been at most, 1 successful use before we arrived at the
third location where errors were recorded.
At location 3, I noted that a storm was rolling in as we were trying to use
ODK. The storm was still present (it was raining and cloudy) when the
program finally worked.
The first two tries were with wifi off and gps on. We then tried once with
wifi on and gps on. We then tried with airplane mode on and wifi off. We
restarted the phone. Then tried with gps on, wifi off. We then tried with
gps on and wifi on. We then turned off the phone and inserted the SIM card,
after which it worked perfectly (sorry I can't match the order of events
with specific logs, that's something we will make sure to do in the future).
OK, hopefully this gives you guys some useful data to work with. I will be
doing more testing tomorrow so please email me any settings you'd like me to
try or any methodology related notes that might give you guys better data to